PDA

View Full Version : a320 TR + line training at OAA

THD
14th Sep 2009, 10:17
A320 Type training program with aircraft training and line training in the UK is offerd on selfs sponsord basis at oxford aviation academy. OAA.com - Oxford Aviation Academy (http://www.oaa.com/pages/training_courses/type/self_sponsored.php)

Any body more info on this or know the airline where the line training is performed? Are they going on the CTC tour with this program.

thx

MrMutra
14th Sep 2009, 12:26
I think interesting and incredibly frustrating, because it seems oxford are attempting to cash in on those whose desire is to go straight from training to an Airbus or Boeing right hand seat. Oxford like Eaglejet bridge the gap from 0 hours to 500 hours, if you have the money that is.

It makes me sad as I wonder if one day very soon we will see the end to companies paying for F/O's. Why should they pay an FO a fee when guys/girls turn up with money to work. Pay to work, an employers dream :ok: Im just surprised Ryanair haven't jumped on the bandwagon and started to charge FO's to come to work.

The only paid job will be when you reach Captain status. Until then you have to work for free in the right hand seat, such is the desire to get these 500 hours companies like Oxford and Eaglejet can cash in and so will many others.

Day_Dreamer
14th Sep 2009, 15:17
Look at the Link and read it carefully !!!
This is NOT OAA UK, but one of their many partners in Europe.
Since GECAT bought OAA they have re-branded as OAA, bringing to the company a wealth of training experience, and several simulators which are spread out at their worldwide establishments.

Parson
14th Sep 2009, 15:18
As long as supply exceeds demand, as long as training organisations need to make a profit, and as long as people have the cash, these schemes will be there. You pays your money and takes your choice.

There's nothing wrong with a low hours guy/gal jumping in the RHS of a jet because (i) they are qualified to do it (licence + type rating) and (ii) on the whole, they seem to be able to handle it.

It may go against the traditional way of working up the ladder on gradually larger a/craft, but the fact is that you don't need to do that anymore (theortically anyway and nothwithstanding the current dire employment situation).

I studied engineering at college and we all worked our summers off for what was effectively just living expenses, so that when we graduated we had some experience to help get a full-time job. Is that any different from gaining your first 500 hrs on type with little or no salary? I don't know. (We had also effectively paid for our formal degree training which you could say is equivalent to the CPL/IR in the flying world).

chock2chock
14th Sep 2009, 21:43
I had a chat with the brand manager (No name dropping here tho. its public information anyway) of APP at OAT earlier some time ago, when I went in for a tour of the place. One of my questions was with regards to obtaining a SSTR on completion of the integrated course, and he told me that it was highly unwise that one should do so for at least two of many resons often discussed (or argued) here ad nauseam on this site. I asked if the acquisition of Parc Aviation by OAA had any advantages with regards to graduates of the APP scheme, and his reply was that new graduates have nothing to gain from it - only experienced pilots on the market.