PDA

View Full Version : Any Volunteer flying available

Cruiseclimb
14th Sep 2009, 03:55
I'm a retired military pilot with over 5,800 hours, an ATP, a float rating, and an A&P. (Lots of turbo prop and helicopter time). I'd like to find an aid organization that can use some help for 60-90 days at a time. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks in advance if you know of anything...

V1... Ooops
14th Sep 2009, 09:04
The only North American organizations that I know of who use appropriately qualified and experienced volunteers as pilots are missionary organizations.

Almost all humanitarian aviation operations in Africa are carried out by contractors who are retained by the various aid organizations. The contractors are conventional charter operators, based in Africa, Europe, or North America.

lvdriver
14th Sep 2009, 09:56
Mission Aviation Fellowship was looking for volunteers a few months ago- based at Lanseria.

big buddah
14th Sep 2009, 12:10
Cruiseclimb,
There is lots of organisations that will pay you for your flying skills. You don't have to come to Africa and offer your services for free.
Nearly all aid organisations use contractors that pay and support their staff out in the field.
The good companies pay well and look after you as an asset.

Unless it's a Church based operator like MAF, stay away from any operator that pays poorly or not at all. It will be a sign things to come!
Generally stick with South African based operators. They have come a long way in the last few years to lift their operating standards. Outside of South Africa there is little if no regulator oversight for any of the operators.

You will need to be rated generally either on C208, B200, B1900. Not too much in the DH6 these days but might start seeing more of them around with -400 coming out?

BB