PDA

View Full Version : Don't even think of working in Saudi

Alya
23rd Sep 2001, 16:08
If you are tempted to work for BAE in Saudi ask why they are offering big bucks despite the current airline situation. There have been massive resignations and now they are desperate. Only think about Saudi if:

You don’t mind your wife being spat at.

You don’t mind road rage episodes from Saudi youths in their dad’s GMC Suburban at traffic lights on your way to work.

You are happy having a baseball bat on the backseat of the car on every journey.

You are happy with RSAF personnel cheering the CNN footage of the attack on the WTC.

Your wife is happy to have a family ‘go-pack’ ready at all times in case you have to dash home to collect her and the kids and flee. (Women cannot drive in this society)

The Saudi establishment are embarrassed at the number of their people involved in the attacks and are desperately making up excuses in the state-controlled newspapers. The rank and file are racist bigots who look down their noses at the ‘white-eyes’ even though we run their air force for them. The situation is unlikely to cool down and that is why so many are voting with their feet.

BEagle
23rd Sep 2001, 17:50
Hope you got out before they traced your post!

Booger
24th Sep 2001, 04:52
Alya, forgive my ignorance but were these incidents (road rage etc...) occuring before the Sep 11 attacks? I know a few people in country who find day to day life a chore - but they rapidly cheer up on payday!

I have heard similar anecdotes about the Saudi attitude to "infidels" but have also been told that they are generally friendly and that westerners can get by as long as they 'keep a low profile'.

Do you think the Arab response to the pending US military action will see a sharp decline of 'round-eye' recruits (apart from the current exodus) or even a possible cessation of the Al-Yamamah (excuse spelling) BAe contract? :confused:

Blade88
24th Sep 2001, 09:19
Anyone have any experience working for ARAMCO? :cool:

mutt
24th Sep 2001, 22:57
It is interesting to see the difference of opinion between the civilians and the military contractors.

At a meeting of the British Consulate wardens of Jeddah last week, there was more discussion about the Mabahith's continuing arrests of people on alcohol charges than the present world situation. What was the expat society going to do without bootleg booze?

I can truthfully say that i do not know 1 person who is leaving from Jeddah due to the present situation.

I guess that things are different in the provinces!

Mutt

CSL
25th Sep 2001, 22:45
When did you leave the country - I am guessing you are writing from your own country now.

If you are still in Saudi then why - you obviously do not like it there so just leave and quit your whinging. You always have options - remember the airport is open 24 hours a day. :D

Chris Gowers
26th Sep 2001, 17:09
I have lived and worked with BAE for a total of over 10 years and I am amazed at "Alya's" comments. To answer each in turn:

1. My wife has never been spat at.
2. The driving is appalling, but I have rarely heard of incidents of road rage. In fact, it is much less common than in the UK.
3. I have never travelled anywhere with a baseball bat. I can't stand the game!
4. All the RSAF personnel that I have talked to about the events of 11 Sep are as shocked as the rest of us and have expressed a restrained and balanced view of the situation.
5. If I suggested to my wife that we pack ready to flee at any moment, she would think I had lost it.
6. I work in the unit that employs more BAE pilots than anywhere else in Saudi. (70 odd) Only one chap is leaving because of the Sep 11 carnage and that is on a principle, not because he is running for cover.

No one pays the large salaries available in Saudi because you are talented and/or good looking and people who come here must accept that they will have to adapt their lifestyles to local conditions and it is not for everyone. However, "Alya's" remarks are a one-sided and exaggerated view.

If anyone wants a more balanced picture then e-mail me and I will be happy to give you my picture, warts and all, without hiding behind a nom de plume.

It only remains for me to wish "Alya" the very best in his next appointment in cloud-cuckoo land. He should fit in very well there!

awayday
30th Sep 2001, 18:54
Although I am not permanently involved with Saudi people I would like to state one thing;

Booger wrote: "I have heard similar anecdotes about the Saudi attitude to "infidels" but have also been told that they are generally friendly and that westerners can get by as long as they 'keep a low profile'."

Why the hell should we bow down to these people when, if we knobbed off (with the Americans of course), they would be overthrown in a matter of weeks from the North. We allow thier race and religion freedom within our own country, even allow them to practice thier religion in mosques built for the purpose. I think they should, encourage us to practice OUR ways of life behind closed doors, feces, gates etc...

Off the soap box now, Ta.

Echo Oscar
2nd Oct 2001, 14:12
Guys,

I have to agree 100% with Chris. My only 'new' concern is the possibility of some of the locals being whipped-up by Friday prayers and taking matters into there own hands. On reflection, of course, that could as easily be happening near a mosque in London or Edinburgh.

All the RSAF guys I speak to were/are quite shocked about all the current goings-on.

EO