PDA

View Full Version : First Female Red Arrow

Man-on-the-fence
19th Oct 2001, 00:09
I found the story below from Teletext

Here (http://www.teletext.co.uk/news)

FIRST WOMAN JOINS RED ARROWS
A female RAF squadron leader has become the first woman to join the Red Arrows aerobatics team.

Lyn Johnson has swapped her job as equerry to the Duke of Edinburgh for a stint as the team's new manager.

The 42-year-old has the honour of being the first woman to wear the Arrows' coveted red flying suit - although her role will be an administrative one.

-----------------------------

Now its the only place I have seen it reported so far. Can anyone confirm it?

If it is true then I wish her the best of British Luck.

[ 18 October 2001: Message edited by: Man-on-the-fence ]

Tiger_mate
19th Oct 2001, 00:51
The RAF version of Sunday Sport also carries the story complete with pic.

Far too much Red methinks :o)

T_M

Capt Widebody
19th Oct 2001, 01:23
The 42-year-old has the honour of being the first woman to wear the Arrows' coveted red flying suit

Hmmmm.... Never did get a thank-you, JP :cool:

Uncle Ginsters
19th Oct 2001, 02:52
....and there was the world thinking that you actually had to be a pilot to be in the Reds......Is there really any difference between this and any adminer wearing CS95 - what are they.....TacAdmin or something? If it makes you feel important guys, just carry on.

Man-on-the-fence
19th Oct 2001, 11:58
Good point Ginsters (well before the rant anyway. :D )

I always understood that the team manager flew the spare aircraft. Has she got her wings? And if not who is going to fly the spare?

gaycowboy
19th Oct 2001, 13:43
apparently red 10 will still be flown by the on the road manager (which i always thought WAS the team manager :confused: )

Reichman
19th Oct 2001, 14:03
I can just imagine the comments from the back seat now:

"Look, do we have to go so fast? It's not big or clever you know. Why are you flying so close to the plane in front? There's sombody overtaking on the inside! What an idiot. I said slow down! Can you stop jinking about? I'm trying to put some lipstick on....and these mirrors are far too small. Does my bum look red in this?

Low and Slow
19th Oct 2001, 14:52
Sorry, I don't get this.

Is the Lady Aircrew? or Admin? Will she fly. If not why the hell has she been given a red suit.

Surely the only worthwhile story is that the Sparrows have female pilot. - ADMIN !! So what. I used to make coffee for an Air Marshal!

Role on the day we have Lady Sparrow Pilots

Personally I lost interest in the Sparrows when they started handing out signed pictures of themselves :(

Gainesy
19th Oct 2001, 17:51
When will the first female pilots be able to apply for the team in terms of hours/experience? Can't be too long now.
This sounds like a PR-pique propelled shuffle after they were beaten to it by Julie the Blue Eagle pilot.

Another point, have the Reds never had any female ORs, or do only Officers count as "Team Members" these days?

PS Bet she gets lumbered with the Imprest.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
19th Oct 2001, 20:14
Just to clarify some confusion, the lady concerned is actually an Air Traffiker (as was the last team manager, although he was large, ginger and not exactly "easy on the eye"). The job is one of those Ops Spt annotated posts that enable pilots to be pilots. Don't ask me what she actually does, I presume it's along the lines of managing various aspects of direct support.

As far as flying suits are concerned, when has a lack of a brevet ever stopped various individuals from donning a grow bag?

[ 19 October 2001: Message edited by: Whipping Boy's SATCO ]

Tonkenna
19th Oct 2001, 21:11
Is this really important. As a force that supposidly prides itself on equal oppertunities when will it stop going on about the first female to do such-and-such a job. Frankly, who cares.

Tonks

Mystic Greg
19th Oct 2001, 22:37
Well I'll wish the lady good luck in her new job, anyway.

Man-on-the-fence
19th Oct 2001, 22:38
Whipps
Thanks for the clarification.

Tonks
I agree totally but presumably the RAF released the news, if I hadnt posted it someone else would.

Dont shoot the messenger :eek:

Tonkenna
19th Oct 2001, 22:55
MotF

Not shooting you at all, would have said the same whoever posted. Just hope someone in the RAF who releases this rubbish would stop doing it. There may have been a story had it been one of the pilots (maybe!), but is it really a story that a woman takes an admin role? No (no disrespect to the woman involved). Come on RAF, stop +ve descrimination in press releases and lets have real stories.

Airbrake
20th Oct 2001, 00:11
I thought all the reds were girls when they were out in Akrotiri a few years back!

plaincrazyuk
20th Oct 2001, 01:44
Just had to do this, sorry if It's a tad tasteless.

Lady in Red (Chris de ******)

I’ve never seen you looking so green as you do tonight
I’ve never seen such a sight
You are in trou-ble
The ground crew will be waiting there
With a bucket and sponge to spare
But nothing for your hair
And I’ve never seen so much “gop” from a woman
I‘ve never seen one throw so far
And I think you better give up flying
And just stick to your car

Oh lady in red
Went flying with me (peak to peak)
There’s nobody here
Just you and me (where d’ya wanna be)
Oh I hardly know
Where did all that sick go
It’s all over my head
My Lady in Red

(Plaincrazy)

cyclic
20th Oct 2001, 17:18
Tonks is totally right, who the hell cares?

Magog
20th Oct 2001, 20:18
What do you mean? It's always been full of women this is just the first female! She's probably been sent there to encourage some hetrosexuality among those egotistical, pampered, rotary wannabe fast jet prima donnas!

Jackonicko
20th Oct 2001, 22:16
We've learned that the Team Manager's role is no longer a GD(P) job, and hasn't been for some time (there has been at least one previous non-pilot manager). This sounds like a sensible way of freeing up a fast jet pilot for a position in which he'll help reduce the pilot shortage and ease over-stretch, unless another, more junior aircrew post has had to be created.

But if she doesn't fly, shouldn't she have a blue groundcrew 'travelling circus suit' and not a red one? Or is this just another example of 'brown boot boy' wannabe posing? If so, she'll be following the example of DPR, who got himself dolled up in an immersion suit and helmet for the photo in the front of the RAF PR magazine in 2000. But it's OK, presumably he'd just had a famil flight which wouldn't have been more usefully given to a hard-working groundcrew bloke or (god forbid) a journo.

Rant over. (For now).

(Who does fly the spare now? Who does fly the journo outside the formation?)

FJJP
20th Oct 2001, 22:22
God! Am I just waiting for the PR event when Mitch applies!

:D :D :D

What_does_this_button_do?
23rd Oct 2001, 14:29
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/images/mngr.jpg

The first lady to wear the coveted red suit is Sqn Ldr Lyn Johnson who has recently taken over from Ginge Paige as the Team Manager.

Lyn was born and educated in Cambridge where her family still live.

She left school to join the Royal Air Force in 1978 as an Assistant Air Traffic Controller. After serving as an airwoman at RAF Binbrook and RAF Gutersloh in Germany she was commissioned as an Air Traffic Control Officer. She subsequently went to RAF Wattisham and RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus where she first encountered the Red Arrows during their annual spring training. A tour at RAF Marham was followed by the Area Radar Training Course at RAF Shawbury and time at the London Air Traffic Control Centre at West Drayton before returning to terminal controlling with Bristol University Air Squadron at Colerne. Promoted to Squadron Leader in 1998, Lyn went to RAF Valley as the Deputy Senior Air Traffic Control Officer before being short-toured to take up the post of Equerry to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh; this 2 year appointment immediately preceded her move to the Red Arrows.

Lyn has a variety of interests outside of the working environment, but one of her top priorities is her dog Molly, which being a fast, lean and manoeuvrable red/tan whippet is a most appropriate addition to the Team's supporters!

26 September 2001

Tonkenna
23rd Oct 2001, 17:01
But as an airtrafiker, why does she have to wear a fling suit, whats wrong with blues like all the others ground branches do in non-operational areas. Surely this is just a normal posting and therefore open to both men and women. So, whats the news here. I am sure that Lyn is a nice person and will do well in the job, but, if we made a fuss each time a woman (or for that matter a black person, asian person, homosexual/lesbian, or even a just a bloke) did a job for the first time it would be never ending. As I said before release news, not this rubbish. Sorry to go on,

Tonks

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: Tonkenna ]

Capt Widebody
23rd Oct 2001, 19:11
I take your point, Tonks, but what sort of news are you after?? Have you read the whole of the RAF News lately? It is also full of what some might consider tripe of the sort you find in the local rag. You don't see much of substance in Hello magazine (I'm told), but many celebs and wannabes buy it. Why? :confused: Don't ask me, but it's still news of a sort.

The fact is, a lot news these days is about filling space to sell papers, or if it won't do that, just doing the best filling space anyway. Positive discrimination, maybe, but to me it's just something different, and that's what some people want to read.

Whoever published it, also "so what" to them! Read it or ignore it, you choose. One thing for sure - it's certainly done its jjob in one respect: we're all talking about it :)

Tonkenna
23rd Oct 2001, 20:04
Capt Wideboy,

Perhaps your right, and that is probably why I don't read the RAF News cause I don't want to read "fluffy" news about how great things are. I want to know whats happening in the RAF, what is being done to solve problems like retention, a/c unserviceability, housing etc. I also want to hear about success and when things get sorted out. Not a great deal of that in the RAF news, however, it is soft, strong and thoroughly absorbant.

I think that what annoys me most about this kind of news is that some people out there are doing really good work and get no thanks whatsoever, yet "woman gets admin job" hits the headlines. I am also getting a bit tired of this first woman to do such-and-such job. I strongly beleive that if a person is good enough to do a job they should do it, I don't care what colour or make they are.

Second rant over for today. Sorry, the weather is rubbish and I still can't fly the second newest a/c in RAF service in cloud yet so I am stuck on the ground!! :(

Oh well bet that never gets covered in "King and Country"

Tonks

fobotcso
24th Oct 2001, 00:22
I think I'm in love. :o

BEagle
24th Oct 2001, 00:42
Tonks, mate - good job the lady in question wasn't in the tower at Base Aerea Gringo, Islas Malvinas, eh?

Course you would....eh? He said knowingly! Nudge, nudge, wink wink - say no more...!!

[ 23 October 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Tonkenna
24th Oct 2001, 00:57
BEagle,

I hate you sometimes!! :D ;)

Tonks :D

John Eacott
24th Oct 2001, 01:45
The RAAF Roulettes (http://www.defence.gov.au/raaf/roulettes/index.htm) had their first female pilot complete her tour last year, Roulette Six. She was delayed a year in joining after breaking her femur, skiing at Mt Hotham, and (IIRC) is currently flying a desk. Good driver, nice person, managed the hype very well, and deserved the Blue romper suit.

Perky Penguin
24th Oct 2001, 20:13
"Reds" have female groundcrew - saw them in a series of Progs on Discovery Wings last Saturday.

EESDL
24th Oct 2001, 23:02
It's a sad indication of the way we are going.....in my day the job was done by a 'holding officer'. No RAF News spread was required, just the odd trip in the back if they were lucky. Now we need a Sqn Bleeder to make sure that the Pings make it onto Albert...give me a break.
We brought the Reds out of Jersey this year and, I must confess, was a tad (more than a 'smidgen') surprized to see a 'Red' with a smaller **** than the rest of them!
She has amazing self-control however...1 1/2 hours in the company of some pie-eating lardies, without falling for our charms? Scoff all you like, but you try it sometime!
With you Tonks on this one.
What a load of bo77acks.

[ 24 October 2001: Message edited by: EESDL ]

Mmmmnice
25th Oct 2001, 23:45
What do you reckon Fob? better than whingeing and bitching about the Balkans/Middle East eh - the Red certainly suits her colouring; whoops! must go Supreme Domestic Commander in-bound pip pip

Pountney
26th Oct 2001, 22:00
I can shed some light on this. News article was internally generated - for more, check tomorrow's 'Times'. Manager is not a pilot, but gets a red suit. You can argue the toss about whether it's appropriate, but so do the engineering officers and most other display teams have a similar system. Red 10 is the commentator (in red suit!) and flies the spare.

If you formed your opinion of the Reds on someone signing a photo, it's probably your loss, my friend. It's the most challenging and enjoyable flying you will ever do. Most likely it was some 80 yr old granny or 10 yr old kid who requested the photo. In the unlikely event that it was a 21 yr old nympho, well, wouldn't you?

Albert on Tour
26th Oct 2001, 22:40
A quick glance down to my Red Arrows mouse mat, ( I can’t refer to my Red Arrows underpants because I am naked) reveals that there are other wearers of the red suit who haven’t really earned it.

The two Engineering Officers (SengO & JengO to you spotters) wear the red flying suit.

But there’s never any trouble in identification because…

Q. How do you know if a pilot is a Red Arrow

A. He (or she) tells you

BOOM BOOM

Last week in Leuchars, however, the chosen off duty trade was Royal Protection Officer.

fobotcso
26th Oct 2001, 23:34
Mr Nice, You bet! The lady smartens up this Forum no end.

Oh to be a lean and manœuvrable whippet again...

Cave! Mater.

vstol1
26th Oct 2001, 23:59
The Canadian Air Force Snowbirds have a lady pilot at number 3. Check out for piccy and bio at http://www.snowbirds.dnd.ca/sb3_e.asp

Dr Schlong
27th Oct 2001, 05:21
Hmmm...demi-MILF! :p

BEagle
27th Oct 2001, 09:43
How long before the MoD PR machine allows an ethnic minority to join the Pink Poseurs? No - I don't mean a lady or a black mate, I mean an ex-truckie pilot like this Canadian lady! But imagine how the airshow tannoy would sound - not just "Flt Lt Bonamate flew Harriers........." but "Flt Lt Pie-Eater is an ex-Hercules pilot who became an A2 QFI...."

Somehow I just can't see it!

Tom the Tenor
27th Oct 2001, 12:36
Capt Carmichael from the Canadian Snowbirds team is a bit of all right too and looks quite smart in their red flying suit - who knows but quite a new fad in red fashion may have begun! Keep buying your weekly Cosmo along with your regular copy of Flight to stay tuned!

Mmmmnice
28th Oct 2001, 14:30
Ref: Capt Carmichael - if she flies the "Inner Left Wing" presumably there are also outer left, inner right etc...... What sort of aircraft is this? sounds like some kind of dragonfly.....confused over! :)

Capt Widebody
28th Oct 2001, 14:43
Always Ultra Wings.... ??? :D

Mowgli
30th Oct 2001, 14:38
I expect the Team Manager is required to go where all the team pilots go (apart from the gents) for PR, sponsor and media events and of course the commentary box. Wearing the Red suit will make it much easier for her to do her job on the ground because she will be instantly recognisable.

I'm sure it will be a difficult and challenging job, and it's not her fault that once again the MOD PR people make a big deal about it because of her gender.

I wish her every success in managing a team that I'm very proud of. They demonstrate that not everything in this country is becoming mediocre.

BEagle
30th Oct 2001, 23:35
Baldrick - fetch me a bucket!!

Tonkenna
31st Oct 2001, 00:19
I don't think anyone here is having a go at her at all, most of the complaint is about the PR machine, thats all. A bit of friendly "bluty bashing" is fine, and hey I don't mind a bit of reciprical banter, especially when you consider the a/c I fly!!!! :D :D

Tonks ;)