PDA

View Full Version : Medical transfers by SAR helicopter

DX Wombat
22nd Sep 2001, 22:53
Recently it was proposed to transfer one of our sick babies by helicopter ( an idea later abandoned for financial reasons). I had expressed a wish to be part of the transfer team but was told that the RAF would have to do it all as they would only let their own RAF or RAF-trained civilian transfer teams do these transports. My question is this: is this so, and if it is how does one gain the appropriate qualifications / skills? I would really love to be able to do this. Any help would be appreciated. It might be more sensible to reply to my other email address as my computer does not always let me into the PPRuNewebsite (it doesn't like its new anti-virus software very much). I can be contacted at [email protected] Thanks in advance> DX Wombat

FJJP
23rd Sep 2001, 11:48
DX

You might investigate joining the Royal Auxiliary Air Force - they have a medical wing, and have people who are trained to aeromedical qualification. They fly all over the place on RAF aircraft on Casualty evacuation (CASEVAC) trips, accompanying seriously sick or injured personnel.

The RAF website is worth a good browse: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhome.html

Recruiting Offices at: http://www.raf-careers.com/html/goforit/afco.html

OOPS 78
23rd Sep 2001, 18:43
DX W,

You do not have to be RAF trained to fly in a SAR Sea King, especially not on a medevac. We will take anyone who is required to be there. It really makes no odds to us.

Unfortunately this is just one of the many fallacies surrounding SAR within the health service. I realise that the level of misunderstanding between the NHS and the RAF SAR Force is greatly our fault for not taking the time to liase with you.

Some other myths exploded...

We do not charge for what we do, with the only exception of a premeditated transfer from one hospital to another. That is it. Any pickups we do from a roadside or anywhere is free.

We do carry fully qualified paramedics on board.

We can fly in all weathers day and night.

We would rather be scrambled and then truned back than not scrambled at all.

We have a lrge helicopter, that can carry over 17 people at a go. You can put a casualty in a stretcher and still have access to their entire body by a number of people.

Basically the only reason not to call for us is if(as appears to be the case in North Wales) the ambulance authority wish to keep risking the lives of casualties by not calling for help because of a fear of cost(we're free) or because they can't see past the local air ambulance/police helicopter or because we have done such poor liaison(as in Yorkshire) over the last few years that people just don't know what we do.

It is always frustrating when you constanlt hear members of ambulance authoritie stalk such crap to us, but much of the blame for that must lie at our own feet.

If you have any questions contact the nearest SAR flight. The nearest one to Liverpool is C Flight 22 Squadron based at RAF Valley.

Best of luck and don't let the suits tell you what you can and can't do.

DX Wombat
30th Sep 2001, 02:34
Many thanks to all of you who have taken the trouble to reply to me. I can't thank everyone personally at the moment as the computer still has tantrums and sulks frequently when asked to locate PPRuNe! A little minor adjustment with a sledgehammer seems to be called for. :D :D :D

Seak1ng
2nd Oct 2001, 00:18
The University of Leicester hospital has a specially trained team, as do a few other places, but most health authority personnel can be flown. As stated earlier in the thread (apologies - I am useless with names) you can contact your nearest flight to come along for a trip.
We are always looking to expand our image within the Health Service.