PDA

View Full Version : Milspec bog paper at Northolt

Self Loading Freight
22nd Sep 2001, 22:02
I had the pleasure yesterday of visiting RAF Northolt, on a press trip down to Newquay and back in an Air Atlantic Metro. All good fun, esp. the low-level display from two pointy things after we landed in Cornwall.

But I wasn't prepared for two aspects of airbase life: first, the glass cabinet stuffed with booze and fags that's pretty much the first thing you see once you get past the FOD board. Excellent -- even if it wasn't breakfast, as I'd hoped. Second, and far more worrying, why is the bog paper suitable more for cooking fairy cakes on than its ostensible purpose? I thought that sort of sphincter masochism went out with the War Ministry. Or does it improve bombing performance?

R

WebPilot
22nd Sep 2001, 22:56
You should try staying in the OR transit block at Northolt. My dad would find it familiar from his National Service days....

[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: WebPilot ]

Whipping Boy's SATCO
22nd Sep 2001, 23:34
......and your point?

VP8
22nd Sep 2001, 23:40
Ahh memories after 20years at Her Majesties pleasure and 3 at Northolt....We used to call it John Wayne paper, It's rough it's tough and it takes no **** of anyone!!

Brgds
VP8 ;)

PurplePitot
23rd Sep 2001, 02:02
ahh - Paper, Greaseproof, toilet for the use of. Re-useable you know..... :D

Hengist Pod
23rd Sep 2001, 15:17
I've heard that a regal turd was scavenged, dried and then displayed in a crewroom once upon a time. I thought she didn't go to the toilet though.

BEagle
23rd Sep 2001, 15:29
It's probably one of those apocryphal stories! I was told about it back in the early '70s. It seems that a royal-only thunderbox was installed at some god-forsaken outpost of empire in preparation for a Royal Visit. The sewage outfall was, predictably, direct into the adjacent ocean. But they'd reckoned without the cunning of the good old erk. With the aid of a stopwatch and a potato, the lads timed the interval between flush and ocean.....and waited for the real event. The royal flush took place, the stopwatch was started and a shrimp net carefully retrieved the 'item' in question. Which was then dried, varnished, sprayed silver, mounted on a piece of polished wood and placed in the Officers' Mess silver cabinet with a small label inscribed 'Presented to the Officers of RAF ******* by HRH ******* on the occasion of her visit on .........!!'.

Probably totally untrue - but certainly plausible!!

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

kbf1
23rd Sep 2001, 16:57
We used to have the same stuff at school. We used it for tracing paper :D

I remember an old hairy informing us that it was 1 up, 1 down, and 1 to wipe around from the rat packs.

BEagle
23rd Sep 2001, 17:45
kbf1 - yes, many were the sheets of Izal medicated which I used to pinch from the bog at my prep school to use for tracing maps etc! Gave one's exercise book a characteristic chemical odour.

Ex F111
23rd Sep 2001, 23:19
... at least you could write on it if you had the solution to the world's problems while on the throne. I find that double soft stuff extremely difficult to use when all I have is a trusty 2B pencil.

Shackman
24th Sep 2001, 00:52
Beagle

nearly spot on, only said airfield in middle of nowhere (Indian Ocean) had only three letters (beginning with G, ending in N) and was displayed on wall behind entrance door.

Ah the good old days of 14 days of SAR Standby for the truckies (and others!)

BEagle
24th Sep 2001, 02:01
You're not Ben Benbow by any chance?

murphy
24th Sep 2001, 08:18
If you served there, then you may well know my brother!!!!!!

Yours

Murph x x x

Cornish Jack
26th Sep 2001, 12:00
Those who were around a (long)while ago may remember that the supplied bog paper used to have a little box printed on the top of each sheet. It's purpose? ... the user was required to tick the box after use ... :D: now that COULD have been apocryphal.

The HRH story BTW was from El Adem and the outfall was onto the 'bundoo', not the sea. :D:

Constable Clipcock
26th Sep 2001, 15:31
I thought that sort of sphincter masochism went out with the War Ministry. Or does it improve bombing performance?
If MOD were really feeling thrifty, they'd issue that bog-roll in continuous-loop form, running longitudinally just below toilet-seat-level (w/ just the right amount of slack), complete with pedal-operated pulley system.

We Colonials figured the real trick out a few years ago: rather than using the offending paper in the standard way, swallow several sheets of it as the final course of one's meal — it wipes completely "hands-off" as a result of coming out last!