PDA

View Full Version : "Special Forces go in..."!!

swashplate
17th Oct 2001, 16:35
Hope you all don't mind a civvy starting a thread here, but I'd be interested in your opinions on this.

Is anyone else getting a bit fed up with the gung-ho Politicians and valiant media types ("Hell Nooooooe we won't goooooe, maaaaaaannnnn" in 60s...) going on about SAS to go in.. stuff. :mad:

I always thought Special Forces ops depended on secrecy. "Covert Infiltration" and all that.

See this in 'Dununda and Godzone':
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=007367

Is it ethical for such missions to be blown like this? :eek:
Are we not risking peoples lives uneccasarily? :eek:
Presume the Taliban can read English? :rolleyes:

Or are the lads so professional that it won't matter anyway? :cool:

Thoughts anyone....

PS: BTW I actually did 1 year in TA Royal Sigs, but I don't presume to count that as mil experience... :D

Low and Slow
17th Oct 2001, 16:58
TA Sigs. Top bunch of boys. Worked with a couple in a Brigade HQ.
Needed to work on coffee making skills and using the word 'Sir'. Otherwise good lads :)

lightbob
17th Oct 2001, 17:07
It doesn't really take the brains of an Archbishop to work out that the SAS are going in. A less than fertile imagination might guess that they are already there and there has been enough written in the press/books since the Gulf War about how they operate. The key point for secrecy would relate to a particular OP or area of operations. I doubt many people in the MoD could tell you where they were at any one time. Speculate away it helps spread confusion - they are good enough to look after themselves. Good luck

Megaton
17th Oct 2001, 18:21
Also, the White House (http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/28/ret.special.operations/index.html)were good enough to publicly speculate on the presence of US & UK SF in Afghanistan a few weeks ago. Preseumably a sign of strength and to show that the US wasn't acting unlaterally.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. and British special forces have conducted reconnaissance operations inside Afghanistan to pave the way for future action aimed at suspected terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and his top lieutenants, officials told CNN Friday.

BEagle
17th Oct 2001, 21:49
So long as specific details hinting at the presence of the blokes-from-that-place-quite-near-Wales in Tally-tubby land are not disclosed, the speculation that the pubs in H******d are rather quiet at the moment might be quite useful psyops maskirovka in its own right.

So, Mr Been-Laden, when you see that little red laser dot settling on your putrid carcass, you'll have about .001 sec to wish that you hadn't been such a total ar$ehole......and won't you be ever so pi$$ed off when you find that you aren't, after all, seen as a martyr by The Big Guy!! Toasting fork up the bottie from that dude with the horns and pointy tail is all you're going to get......

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Megaton
17th Oct 2001, 22:06
Bloody hell, BEagle, have you been watching Rambo again? :)

BEagle
18th Oct 2001, 00:03
Too much red meat today!

Sounds like Kandahar is getting wasted pretty comprehensively tonight......