PDA

View Full Version : EGAA Harrier display - what gives?

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Sep 2001, 17:45
Yesterday (Fri 21st - just after lunch) at EGAA a Harrier callsign 'Cottesmore <something>' did about 5 touch and go's, a fast pass and a bit of hovering with bowing to the terminal.

Whilst this did mean my passengers took ages to board as they were minded to stand about the apron and marvel awhile; I just wondered How Come?

I'm not having a bitch - I was pleased (and jealous as hell) to watch.

I'm mildly suprised the blotter jotter rubber pencil counting desk johnies allow such a heart lifting mingling of military and airline traffic.

Good Show to EGAA tower who were coolly running about 20 jet movements an hour, a cloud of VFR helicopters, the odd PPL and a mini air display all without a hitch and a little style.

[ 22 September 2001: Message edited by: Wee Weasley Welshman ]

fobotcso
22nd Sep 2001, 18:36
Care to give a clue as to where EGAA is?

We don't all walk about with a Pooleys in our pockets.

And I'm jealous as hell too - of the both of you

Art Field
22nd Sep 2001, 18:38
Belfast-Aldergrove

Audax
23rd Sep 2001, 12:41
Simple---he was lost. :confused:

cyclops
23rd Sep 2001, 13:31
He was your Sky Marshall clocking in. :D

BEagle
23rd Sep 2001, 15:11
Interesting thought about Sky Marshals. All ex-military aircrew now working for airlines will have received sufficient weapon training to make them reasonably competent with either the 9mm SLP or the Beretta. Perhaps the Home Office should be approached to pass enabling legislation allowing those with such training to receive approved refresher firearms training should the need ever arise.

We're not talking about Desert Eagle 0.50s on the hip here; just a corps of reasonably competent firearms trained folk available in emergency.

Perish the day when you have to carry a weapon in your flight bag though.

Helmut Visorcover
24th Sep 2001, 00:34
Aircrew, competent, firearms............You must be quite mad!!!! :p

ol_benkenobi
24th Sep 2001, 00:58
Stood and watched the whole thing myself and have spoken with several involved.
New bit of totty in ATC and as a sweetener too try and loosen elastic someone had his mate come over from good old cotters and give her a turn in the dual cab.
Believe it may have been a recruitment drive also. Seeing as their willing to take convicted (but honest i'm reformed) types on the Police Commision over in NI, I believe due to the shortage of Harrier Aircrew they are now opening an RAF / Army recruiting office at 'the Shop Front'. Previously mentioned ac was part of the opening ceremony.
Aledgedly.

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Sep 2001, 10:15
Ahh yes - of course - should have guessed a female would have been involved somewhere along the lines. Boy did she get a good ride...

Avoiding Action
24th Sep 2001, 21:29
Yes, but did she enjoy the Harrier trip... :D

Paddy Don't Surf
25th Sep 2001, 18:02
Doing a display of hovering at Aldergrove Station??? How original ;-) Bit like running around Kabul with a bandage round your head, shouting Keel Amaricans and shooting one's AK off into the sky (gawd knows where those bulets end up).

Would've been much more impressed if he'd strafed twinbrook and Andietown in an effort against International Terrorism. :rolleyes: