PDA

View Full Version : T.T.+G. Again...!

Al Titude
16th Oct 2001, 19:36
Many thanks to all who helped with the previous question I asked. For those who didn't see the thread, a family friend is attempting to trace the life of a relation who flew bombers in WWII.
He has just two more queries; any ideas from the mil historians out there would be greatly appreciated!!

Firstly, the chap spent some time at HQ P.+T.J. Secondly, he moved from this to No2 P.D.C.
I have no idea at all about these abbreviations, and if any one can help, it would complete the understanding of a distinguished flying career.
Many thanks!!

Archimedes
16th Oct 2001, 20:08
I'll have a dig around in the last lot of sources I used. If No 2 PDC was at the end of the war, it could have been something like 'Personnel Demobalistion Centre/Camp' - holding 1945-style... That's not to say that this is correct: it's a vague hunch. I'll see what I can come up with.

Gainesy
17th Oct 2001, 18:08
Al,
Number 2 PDC (Personnel Distribution Centre) was at Wilmslow, Manchester. Sounds like that is where people went before overseas service for jabs and issue of new kit for tropics etc.
Archie is correct, as the PDCs were used as demob centres at the end of the war, so if its in the middle of the chap's service he likely then went overseas and if the PDC came at the end it was in the demob role.

Edit to add:
P & TJ = Palestine & Trans-Jordan, dunno where the HQ was though.

Cheers
Gainesy

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: Gainesy ]

Archimedes
17th Oct 2001, 19:01
PDC is also Personnel Despatch Centre, reinforcing Gainsey's point: so it depends on where in the war it appears as to what he would have done there (or where he would have gone).

Al Titude
17th Oct 2001, 20:31
Gainesy and Archimedes
Many thanks for those replies, the chap doing the research will really appreciate all the info. :)

Archimedes
18th Oct 2001, 00:28
P+TJ - building on Gainesy's comments on this:

P+TJ was orignally a command, based in Jerusalem, in the interwar years. It was reduced to Grp status in 1929. On 11 Nov 1941, it was part of Middle East Command, with two wings - numbers 259 and 263. By October 1942, the sources I've looked at suggest that it had been disbanded/renamed hidden away somewhere I've not been bright enough to discover in the wiring diagrams. It could also have become a subordinate element of something else, still known as HQ P+TJ.

If this is correct date-wise, then it would suggest that 2PDC could be either a 2PDC in theatre rather than at Wilmslow (I think that Gainesy's right on this, though), or it was his transit point before moving onto another posting. If P+TJ existed at the end of the war (albeit hidden away under some acronym I've not decoded), the 2PDC could be his demob point. Obviously, not knowning the dates and full career progressin means you're getting speculation, but hope it helps!

[ 17 October 2001: Message edited by: Archimedes ]