PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Bridging Course

lou couturn
14th Oct 2001, 22:28
Anyone know what the situation regarding this course for the exemptions is. Who is doing them, when, and what will the format be?

rotor tree
15th Oct 2001, 00:25
The only info I have heard (second or third hand) is that Oxford and CABAIR will be providing the course. At present I understand it is not yet up and running, but when it is it will be a week long and cost approx £400. Suggest you give either of these a ring for more info

Alex Whittingham
16th Oct 2001, 11:48
The details of the requirements have been published on this web site (http://www.tgda.gov.uk/CAA_Accreditation/CAAAccreditation.htm).

The problem that exists is that these requirements refer to the JAA ATPL(H) exams which are not yet available. The CAA have an interim system in place for civvy helicopter pilots which involves taking the fixed wing JAA ATPLs with rotary P of F tacked on. They say they are working on a similar interim system for the military and will announce it 'soon'.

Once it is announced it will take a few weeks to get the courses ready. Expect them to be mostly based on distance learning. The likely providers will be Oxford, Cabair and us (Bristol).

SARBoy Loser
16th Oct 2001, 16:24
Well that answered my question before I needed to ask it! Isn't Pprune great! :)

lou couturn
16th Oct 2001, 21:43
Alex, thank you very much for the info and link to the excellent site. See you next year. Rgds Lou.

Alex Whittingham
19th Oct 2001, 13:13
The CAA have agreed that until June 2002 the rotary bridging exams will be based on the equivalent fixed wing papers. There will be no requirement to pass the Performance paper until 1st July 2002 at the earliest because they haven't written the exams.

There is no crossover from rotary to fixed wing available yet and probably won't be until late 2002 or 2003. Those who want both licenses might consider doing all the fixed wing exams and the additional rotary P of F paper. If you take this path you must clear it with the CAA first.

Courses will be ready in a month or so.