PDA

View Full Version : qualified pilot how to become engineer?

V1 VR V2
12th Sep 2009, 10:45
Hi,

Im looking for advice really on how to become a aircraft engineer to intially work on light aircraft for a flying school. I have been in contact with a few places regarding the easa part 66 course now would this be the right course to begin with?

I have been told that the only way into the industry is to serve as an apprentice for three years but i cant seem to find one anywhere?

Any help or advice on how to become an engineer and what is required would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

V1

Piper19
13th Sep 2009, 15:50
My personal steps to get the B1.1 (I guess the B1.2 for small aircraft is somewhat similar).
-3 years aviation high school, got a bachelor and some credits to get a B1 or B2
-followed the part66 A engineer credits modules course
-after 3 years apprenticeship I became A level certifying staff
-followed the part66 B1 and B2 course and some type courses (B1.1 not valid without type rating on it)
-2 years working as A level got me 5 years experience and I was able to get the B1.1

I guess it can be done somewhat faster than my 8 years, as I was doing this in the JAA/old system transition period, normally I could have gotten my A license right after bachelor school instead of some credits. Lost much time there.

I heard that on small aircraft pilots can do limited maintenance themselves?

TinyTim2
24th Sep 2009, 08:07
In the old days it took years , ( 9 in my case ) to go from virgin to licensed engineer but now we have advanced do that some colleges are now offering " Zero to Hero" course to move from totally unqualified to full licensed in less than 18 months , not a good idea in my book , but it is legal..............

And it is still hard work and difficult , so GOOD LUCK..........

Greeny9
24th Sep 2009, 08:48
Wrong!! Read the requirements of JAA.
18 months is b****x!
forgetting any exams you need 5 years experience, can be reduced to 3 with certain experience, sometimes to 1 with military experience.
Don't forget the 14 or so exams too.

grababadger
25th Sep 2009, 08:36
Minimum time required is 2 years in 147 approved school- passing all exams within three attempts, with also passing of all practical exams and an attendance of 95% and above permits a basic training certificate.

Following this certificate you have to do a 'minimum' of 2 years working as a mechanic fitter and cover all ATA chapters, only then can you apply for a basic license. Following this you then have to do a type course etc.

Hence minimum time is four years to obtain basic license, thats assuming everything goes clockwork; straight into a job, caa approve logbook etc.. Realistically it takes about 5 years plus 8 weeks and 6 months for type.

Nearly 6 years, now that is about 54 months + ........'18'....... months.

I hope my point is clear.:ugh:

Piper19
25th Sep 2009, 17:54
relax greeny9...you're correct about the 5 years and reduction to 3 years. If you did everything in a 147 school, you can have it in 3 years according to JAA. However, I did it in a 147, but not recognised by my CAA at the time. So the CAA still can do whatever they want with you.
18 months is indeed never heard of before. And I wouldn't allow a B1 that got his license in 18 months to fix my airplanes if I were an operator.

edit: I found a school that offers a "engineering license in 18 months", but when reading further I found it was for an A license, without the practical part. So you still have to do that after school.

bigoil
27th Sep 2009, 14:33
then after all that you can look for a job which may pay you 15 buck an hr.

lloyd_dsouza
7th Oct 2009, 08:21
Hi guys. I am a holder of Indian aircraft engineers license and I want it to be converted to easa. Is there any relaxation for it or do i hve to appear all the modules.your reply is highly appreciated.

Rigga
7th Oct 2009, 22:41
I think you'd have to do the full whack Lloyd, but the best bet is to contact the CAA direct -

Civil Aviation Authority Home Page (http://www.caa.co.uk)

and search for "engineer licensing"