PDA

View Full Version : Run up checks with a constant-speed propeller

steve181
11th Sep 2009, 05:35
Say you've set 1800 RPM with the throttle (pitch full fine of course). You do a mag check & the RPM drops by about 125 RPM when you go from Both to L etc. How come the constant speed propeller doesn't adjust immediately back to 1800 RPM when your on the L mag etc?

Is it because the prop is fully fine? FOR ARGUMENTS SAKE say you were at 1800 RPM on the ground & pulled out the propeller control (coarsened the prop) to say 1500 RPM then you went to the L or R mag or pulled out the carburettor heat would the RPM maintain 1500 RPM in that instance?

j3pipercub
11th Sep 2009, 05:42
Where did you do your training again?

Clinton McKenzie
11th Sep 2009, 05:42
I think you may have answered your own question. The prop is already at full fine. It can't go any finer in order to 'recover' the drop in rpm.

flypy
11th Sep 2009, 05:48
As above, you answered your own question.

Think about it practically in a different flight stage, e.g, final approach...

You're holding a set MP but on finals have prop on full fine, then you lower the MP a bit - the RPM won't remain constant.

steve181
11th Sep 2009, 05:54
j3pipercub I did my training at your mom's house & she baked me some brownies.

flypy
11th Sep 2009, 05:58
Which tasted better?

steve181
11th Sep 2009, 05:59
But flypy doesn't that go against what Clinton McKenzie said re: the prop control lever is full fine so on finals if I reduced the MP the rpm WOULD remain constant because the prop is at full fine? & it can't get any finer.

flypy
11th Sep 2009, 06:02
No, as CM said, the prop can't go any finer to recover the drop in engine power. So in that instance, if you pulled back MP, RPM would drop as well - just like in the run ups.

How do you increase RPM?? By "fining" the prop.. if its on the fine stops you can't get a further increase out of it. For every MP setting there will be a max possible RPM.

steve181
11th Sep 2009, 06:03
flypy let's just say the brownies went down a treat but it was nothing compared to later that night.

j3pipercub
11th Sep 2009, 06:21
your mom's house & she baked me some brownies

Ah thats cool, they're awesome, she makes better smarty cookies though.

nothing compared to later that night.

She said she was doing volunteer work with the mentally retarded.

steve181
11th Sep 2009, 06:34
This is the "General Aviation & Questions" section isn't it j3pipercub? So instead of being a patronising douche piece-of-**** bag how about you **** off? Go walk into a prop faggot.

You have a lot to learn from people like flypy who help other's in a respectful/friendly way.

The Green Goblin
11th Sep 2009, 06:39
flypy let's just say the brownies went down a treat but it was nothing compared to later that night.

The jumbucks were getting a bit 'frusky' were they?

Quote:
your mom's house & she baked me some brownies
Ah thats cool, they're awesome, she makes better smarty cookies though.

Tell her to brew up a fine Aussie dish the pavlova J3 :ok:

I'll come around and we can swap some Metro war stories!

flypy
11th Sep 2009, 06:43
Thanks steve... :O

Looks like you haven't read the "Oxford students" thread though.. My alter ego.

Hill Roller
11th Sep 2009, 06:44
You have a lot to learn from people like flypy who help other's in a respectful/friendly way.instead of being a patronising douche piece-of-**** bag how about you **** off? Go walk into a prop faggot.Sometimes the best advice to follow is your own my friend! :ooh: :oh:

steve181
11th Sep 2009, 06:49
Fair point Hill Roller, but a piece-of-**** is not a person so hence it doesn't get my respect.

Just because my questions might not have challenged him it's not an invitation for him to belittle me.

j3pipercub
11th Sep 2009, 06:56
Hi Steve,

This is a rumour network not a fact network. You already asked about the slow speed on this thread. If your instructors or the interent can't answer thwse quewstions, then I'm very worried about your training provider.

Until you start to act like an adult I will continue to patronise.

And I got this way from walking into a prop you insensitive b@st@rd.

Not really

j3

The Green Goblin
11th Sep 2009, 06:57
Fair point Hill Roller, but a piece-of-**** is not a person so hence it doesn't get my respect.

Just because my questions might not have challenged him it's not an invitation for him to belittle me.

And instead of lashing out and playing keyboard warrior why don't you use words to get your point across such as:

J3 - I did my training at xxx and at the time I was a little hung over and was not really paying attention to my laborious instructor. Now after flying a CSU for a while I realized my knowledge was lacking a little and in the interest of my own safety and that of my future passengers I would like to make sure that I have the concepts of CSU theory firmly locked in my long term memory.

Much Ado
11th Sep 2009, 06:57
Steve181 I suggest as you 'started it' then possibly you might want to relax and learn how to 'take it'.

I personally found J3's retort extremely funny.:ok:

Now how about we call this thread settled and avoid another 3 page thread on something so incredibly simple.

This used to be taught in the first 5 minutes of a CSU endorsement:rolleyes: