PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Britain Speech / Reading

advocatusDIABOLI
10th Sep 2009, 17:29
This 'should' be easy:

Please, could anyone give me a link to some of those stiring and famous Battle of Britain readings / diaries / poems for an up and comming reading I have to do at our B of B Dining in Night? I'd rather not trot out the old standard ones, so was looking for a bit of new inspiration? (Google's great, but not that great)

Abybody? Bueller?

Advo

BEagle
10th Sep 2009, 18:38
Gestern nacht, haben die Engländer einige Bomben auf Berlin geworfen....

Or perhaps not. Maybe:

The engine's overheating, and so am I! Either we stand down, or blow up! Now, which do you want?

or:

How many time have I told you - never fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds in a combat area!

Or even:

Don't you yell at me, MR Warwick!

lsh
10th Sep 2009, 20:19
"They got the Rose & Crown"!!
lsh

advocatusDIABOLI
10th Sep 2009, 20:20
Ahhh, BEagle, you clearly have an huge video library!

Seriously, links to any forum which has useful diary entries, quotes or readings would be great.

I'm not 'stuck' I'd just like to try something different if possible.

Regards,

Advo

Pontius Navigator
10th Sep 2009, 20:23
Try and track down a 540 for the period. I was able to read up about my uncle (not a lot) in the 29 Sqn. The most notable thing being is they were put on the programme when there was a VIP dinner or something.

advocatusDIABOLI
10th Sep 2009, 20:24
"Under Carriage lever sticky Sir?" "Well Yes, it was actually Flight!" "Well, I wouldn't tell the Co that, Not if I was you........"

"Spring Chickin' to ****eHawk in 1 easy lesson........."

Advo

advocatusDIABOLI
10th Sep 2009, 20:27
PN- Good suggestion, but unfortunately I'm overseas at the mo, so access to the 'usual' sources is impossible (Hence my request).

Regards,

Advo

Archimedes
10th Sep 2009, 20:54
Some quotes can be found here:

List of Battle of Britain Society Website Contents (http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/contents-index.html)

Click on the various sections/dates in the chronology and a quote or two can usually be found.

forget
10th Sep 2009, 21:14
Remember him? He was no Galahad, no knight sans peur et sans reproche. Sans Peur? Fear was the second enemy to beat. He was a common, unconsidered man, who for a moment of eternity held the whole future of mankind in his two sweating palms. And did not let go. Remember him, not as he is portrayed, but as he was. To him you owe most of what you have and love today.

Air Chief Marshall Sir Christopher Foxley-Norris 1990

advocatusDIABOLI
13th Sep 2009, 03:57
Archimedes,

Very Very helpful, Thank You. I'll slurp a toast to you and yours at the 'event' !!

Regards,

Advo

Double Zero
14th Sep 2009, 18:11
On visiting Chartwell, my favourite memo' on Winston's study wall was " would staff kindly refrain from signing letters ' with gratitude, Winston Churchill ' - only the Prime Minister can decide if he's grateful or not ! "

Incidentally I once had an Osprey class racing dinghy ( a fine boat ) named ' Shy Talk '...