PDA

View Full Version : Why has Google increased the font size of Google Search?”

BEagle
10th Sep 2009, 15:21
Why do geeks have to fiddle with familiar user interfaces?

It seems that Google has increased the size of the font in their search bar, so that it's now very Janet and John / care home sized.

I just hate change for its own sake - a few days to put it back the way it was and then I'll be using a different search engine.

Pratts!

Whirlygig
10th Sep 2009, 15:47
Have they? Doesn't look any different to me.

I'd be glad if they did - would aid my presbyopia greatly!!

Cheers

Whirls

Load Toad
10th Sep 2009, 15:50
Have you er - changed your text size Beagle?

ericlday
10th Sep 2009, 15:52
Has been changed on mine...been away for a few days and thought someone had been 'fiddling' Why oh why can't they just leave things alone !!!!!

Loose rivets
10th Sep 2009, 16:07
Go into it and press Ctl + 0 (zero)

BEagle
10th Sep 2009, 16:28
Font size has been increased in google.co.uk and google.de, for example, but is still the same as it always was in google.com.

If you switch between google.co.uk and google.com, you will see the difference.

Wretched nerds - don't fix what ain't broke.....:mad:!

Ctrl + 0 had no effect, by the way.

mustpost
10th Sep 2009, 17:06
Beags, completely agree, checked tech log, reset things etc, looks plain daft :suspect:

vlieger
10th Sep 2009, 17:45
An official Google statement about the change can be found at http://googleblog.*************/2009/09/now-s-u-p-e-r-sized.html

(Edit: try http://googleblog.*************/ post of 9 September if the above link doesn't work or just read below)

It doesn't say much though. Personally, I don't care either way, it's no big deal really.

-----
Now S-U-P-E-R-sized!
9/09/2009 02:59:00 PM
Search, that is. For us, search has always been our focus. And, starting today, you'll notice on our homepage and on our search results pages, our search box is growing in size. Although this is a very simple idea and an even simpler change, we're excited about it — because it symbolizes our focus on search and because it makes our clean, minimalist homepage even easier and more fun to use. The new, larger Google search box features larger text when you type so you can see your query more clearly. It also uses a larger text size for the suggestions below the search box, making it easier to select one of the possible refinements. Over the past 11 years, we've made a number of changes to our homepage. Some are small and some are large. In this case, it's a small change that makes search more prominent.

Google has always been first and foremost about search, and we're committed to building and powering the best search on the web — now available through a supersized search box.

gas path
10th Sep 2009, 18:50
I've been left out, mine hasn't changed:{

mustpost
10th Sep 2009, 19:16
Google has always been first and foremost about search

Yeah, but I note Utube has not followed them....

BEagle
10th Sep 2009, 19:42
Does anyone know how to send an e-mail to the Google-geeks to tell them their stupid-size search box sucks?

There seems to be lot of chat about this stupid idea across the Internet - and it's all very negative.

Most people are commenting on the lack of privacy the kindergarten-sized font causes.

gas path
10th Sep 2009, 22:40
Damnation and b0ll0ks! mine has now changed too:{ In fact, so has the .com version now having gone one step further with part bold text.
:*

Load Toad
11th Sep 2009, 01:13
I use .com so - anyway...

Although this is a very simple idea and an even simpler change, we're excited about it

Either it doesn't take much to get them excited or they've started on the weekends cocaine early this week.

Terraplaneblues
13th Sep 2009, 10:42
Not sure if it was there prior to the font size thing? I've only noticed it recently, Pressing the Web show options + gives some long needed filtering of results, especially the "Any Time" option. The wonder wheel is good also.