PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Kingsford Smith

ForkTailedDrKiller
10th Sep 2009, 11:17
I have to go to a business meeeting at Sydney airport and in December. Following the meeting I have to go elsewhere in country NSW.

Is taking the Bonanza into Sydney Kingsford a viable option?

I can find nothing in ERSA that says I can't!

Dr :8

XanaduX
10th Sep 2009, 11:24
kaching !!! $$$$$$$$$$ !!! :E

D-J
10th Sep 2009, 11:25
the landing fee may make the exercise non-viable :eek:

To infinity & beyond
10th Sep 2009, 11:25
Last time I looked it was $110 for a landing ($55.00 per movement), $21.00 for the tower and a couple hundred for marshalling etc.

But yes, you can probably do it.

Jabawocky
10th Sep 2009, 11:46
I would rather pay those fees than pay all the extra hours of holding at YSBK and then having to deal with the mayhem.

Blacks take the Campervan into YSSY, use the FBO service, lounge fuel the whole service.

Go for it Forkie, I seriously would if I was desperate enough to have to go to Sydney.:}

Take plenty of pics and video for the lads on here! ForkVission presents Forkair to Kinsford Smith!

capt787
10th Sep 2009, 11:49
I was organising a weekend flyaway with few friends in three aircrafts few years ago. I thought it might be a good idea to phone the number in ERSA to book three slots for harbor orbit. Here's how it goes.

Me: Emm can I reserve three slots for harbor orbit on this date? :O

Airport worker: No I'm sorry we can't do that. Would you like to make a landing in Sydney? :}

Me: Emm no? :eek:

Airport worker: Alright let me take down your a/c rego and pass it on to the tower.

Me: Okay... (conversion continues)

=============================================
Just give them a call and see what would happen ;)

VH-XXX
10th Sep 2009, 11:52
I took something half your size into Brizzy international the other day :) It was $10.60 per tonne (min $60) and I had to book a slot ! First time I've ever had to book a slot! Just ring their number and ask how much to land and park, that's what I did for Brizzy. They will probably also sting you for parking if you are staying, Brizzy was $30 overnight minimum. It's user pays when you're mixing it with the big boys!

Jabawocky
10th Sep 2009, 11:59
BrisVegas is far friendlier on you and your wallet!

bentleg
10th Sep 2009, 12:06
I think you will need to book a time slot for your arrival and for your departure. Not sure how easy that will be. As already mentioned the fees, if they do it, will be high. I haven't heard of lighties going into Kingsford Smith so I am not confident that they will have the welcome mat out.

Think about RPT from another port.

ForkTailedDrKiller
10th Sep 2009, 12:39
I have been in and out of Brisbane a few times recently - no big deal. Never occurred to me to ring and book a slot! They generally put lighties on the cross rwy anyway. Its still cheaper than getting taxis from Archerfield or Redcliffe. I just hop on the folding 'leckie bike and ride down the road to Hertz.

j3pipercub
10th Sep 2009, 12:53
Doc I think in Brissie if you are greater than 170NM out then they have enough time to shuffle you into their deck...not 100% on that though

morno
10th Sep 2009, 12:59
They certainly can't stop you Forkie. It is afterall, a public airfield. You've just gotta pay the fee's, :ouch::ouch:!

morno

Stiff Under Carriage
10th Sep 2009, 13:04
I took a Warrior, yes a PA28 into Kingsford Smith in 1999. Go for it.

VH-XXX
10th Sep 2009, 13:11
It's funny how we get pre-conceived ideas in our heads about flying into certain airports, how it might be complicated etc but it's often just another airfield. I would never consider flying a lightie into Tulla but didn't hesitate to fly into Brizzy.... Just what I had in my head so to speak.

More interesting is when us Aussies fly in the USA, you'll see Denver or something on the gps but unless you know how big Denver actually is you would just think it was like any other field.

das Uber Soldat
10th Sep 2009, 13:19
I go into YSSY in a Cessna all the time.

Its a piece of piss, however pretty much everyone will make fun of you from tower to the 747 told to lineup behind you.

:}

edit: I'll be more helpful. Ring up the flow controller in the morning via the phone number in the ERSA and book a timeslot. In the middle of the day YSSY is dead so I've never been rejected (and i'm talking the last 8 or so times i've been in there) so aim for around then. They will ask you some basic info like a/c type etc. The slot time you're given is for LANDING at YSSY, so ensure you get your estimates right to account for that.

Calling inbound I usually do on radar (im going in VFR) 124.55 or 125.8 and I call within 45 DME with the SY ATIS. I usually get put on 135.9 after Radar asks me sometimes up to 4 consecutive times that I'm sure I actually want to land at YSSY.

Inbound procedure is usually just whatever the controller can think up. I've had everything from direct, to track OCTA Victa 1 and report at Botany bay heads, then direct the threshold of 34R.

Once on the deck have a good sized airport diagram with all the taxiways. Know which taxiways are 1 way (B, C etc) and when to turn onto SMC (when west of taxiway S) etc. Other than that, ask to park at Domestic 5 which is opposite Krispy Kreme. Thats gate 9. Security used to let me through there, but no longer, they had their access changed so you need to go through the general gate. Good luck with that.

Either way its lots of fun and I have a many pictures and videos. Quite memorable.

Di_Vosh
10th Sep 2009, 13:23
There's a Baron and a Chiefy that go in and out regularly.

Shouldn't be a problem for a Bonza! :ok:

DIVOSH!

Capn Bloggs
10th Sep 2009, 13:38
Calling inbound I usually do on radar (im going in VFR) 124.55 or 125.8 and I call within 45 DME with the SY ATIS. I usually get put on 135.9 after Radar asks me sometimes up to 4 consecutive times that I'm sure I actually want to land at YSSY.

Inbound procedure is usually just whatever the controller can think up. I've had everything from direct, to track OCTA Victa 1 and report at Botany bay heads, then direct the threshold of 34R.
That's ridiculous. When you get there, go see the airport manager (he's got an office in Terry Hills), demand that YSSY immediately implement Class E all over with a Class F tower (2nm radius). That should cut down on all that ATC cr@p. Just roll up nocom at 2nm and in you go. TFE! :ok:

training wheels
10th Sep 2009, 13:50
Either way its lots of fun and I have a many pictures and videos. Quite memorable.

Can we have a squiz of your pics and videos? And how much were the fees in total?

I took something half your size into Brizzy international the other day It was $10.60 per tonne (min $60)

That's about how much it costs a C172 to land at Essendon these days. ($55) :ouch:

das Uber Soldat
10th Sep 2009, 13:59
most of my stuff is on my work computer, this is all I have here.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3906152751_3c765ef71b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2576/3906152717_d26e990fe6.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3444/3906931380_b3e1d224ef.jpg

etc.

training wheels
10th Sep 2009, 14:17
most of my stuff is on my work computer, this is all I have here.

Nice pics! Thanks. :ok:

VH-XXX
10th Sep 2009, 23:18
($270 at tulla, included, a car with a flashing yellow light that will drop you up to departures)

Any if you're lucky a very gay V employee will pronounce your name over the PA system when it's time to leave :) (not that there's anything wrong with that.

I got a small kick at Brizzy recently:

VH-XXX, taxiway Foxtrot, follow Bravo, intercept Alpha, hold at Charlie, call tower (or something like that)
Me says: Which runway am I cleared for?
Tower: The big one.
Me says: Repeat taxi directions please?
Tower: Just follow that 737 that's over on your right (about 1km away)
Me says: Ready
Tower: Wait 2+ minutes due wake turbulence

Brizzy was easy. Surprisingly Coffs was a drama recently. Some big stuff coming and going requiring lots of seperation, some very "local" operating procedures and some "grumpy" controllers. We did get a "welcome to the Gold Coast" when it was all over though.

Howard Hughes
10th Sep 2009, 23:56
Hi Forkie, if you plan to come to Sydney the best time is late evening, don't bother before about 1030am you will be hard pressed to get a slot. If you can make it in after curfew you will have no problems and a great view of the city to boot!:ok:

Both Execujet and Hawker Pacific offer passenger handiling services.

I believe the all up cost will be around $200, but worth it to stay away from BK!:E

PS: Don't forget to drop in and say hi!

tmpffisch
11th Sep 2009, 00:20
Surprisingly Coffs was a drama recently.

You mean Cooly?

I think the phrase you would have been looking for when waiting for turb separation is "XXX accept waiver". That waives towers standards he needs to keep to, and leaves it up to you.

ForkTailedDrKiller
11th Sep 2009, 00:47
Thanks for all the info. I will ring and have a chat with them re charges but it looks like a goer to me.

Could be a bit of a hoot!

So far this year I have been in an out of Townsville (obviously), Cairns, Mackay, Rockhampton, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberra and Darwin - and found all of the controllers very good to get along with. In the last couple of years I have also done Coffs and Essendon. The guys at Essendon were particularly helpful - vectored me onto final appr.

IMHO, the trickiest places to get in and out of are GAAP aerodromes, or whatever they are called these days.

Howard Hughes
11th Sep 2009, 01:10
It is no coincidence that GAAP rhymes with crap!;)

Bort Simpson
11th Sep 2009, 01:13
forky,
don't forget to get a dept slot too. On both the arr and dept slot you have half an hour each side. Pretty generous.

re parking: you will probably have to pay as it's checked three times a day. About 1100ish, 1800ish and 0030ish if memory serves correctly and all depending on what other duties the safety officer has on at the time.

There is a pedestrian gate to get in and out from Dom5. You could go through Hawkers/execujet but I think there min charge is more like 600 bucks. Not 100% on that though.

To get access to the gate, call the ops number in the ersa. It is no longer the correct number due to security being outsourced a while back to SNP but they will be able to pass you the right No. Don't for get your ASIC:ok:

The ground controllers will be helpful. Probably not to the extent they are to the likes of China Southern or China Eastern but nothing for you to worry about getting around there. That is for sure.

On another matter: Dito to the comments about coffs tower. I was there with a mate to be his "support" and confidence recently and the tower were a bit crabby to him. Although at other times when I've been in there myself, they have been friendly. Probably comes down to the quality of your RTs.

Bort.

VH-XXX
11th Sep 2009, 02:02
but worth it to stay away from BK!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

I'd ditch in the bay rather than land there :D

b_sta
11th Sep 2009, 02:09
Sure says a lot when it's just about cheaper and easier to land at SY than at BK.

j3pipercub
11th Sep 2009, 02:17
I'd ditch in the bay rather than land there

I would pay to see that. Not much, only about 20 bucks, but I'd pay to see that XXX

goin'flyin
11th Sep 2009, 04:09
Forky,

If you have an idea of what time you will be arriving and departing, you can call and book a slot time outside of 24 hours prior to the movement. Call co-ordinations on 02 9313 5469 Claudia or Petra will look after you.

If you don't know what time you will be there until within 24 hours, you will need to call the 1800 number from ERSA after about 6pm the night prior to movement and hope for the best with whatever slots are left available.

Middle of the day or late evening you shouldn't have a problem getting your desired slots.

You won't get through the pedestrian gate at Dom 5 unless you have a Sydney Airport issued & programmed ASIC . Leaves you the option of Hawkers (02 9693 2591) or Universal Aviation (02 9693 0877). Both provide marshalling services and are friendly and helpful.

You can expect to pay $150 - $220 for pax handling (make sure you enjoy the coffee & bickies), plus overtime if after regular business hours. + $55 per movement to SAC.

Have the aerodrome map handy once you are on the ground. They are human in the tower so the usual applies, let them know you are not familiar and they will take it easy on you. I've been operating in and out of there regularly for 5 years, and every know and then they still ask if i want guidance.

Hope you get a nice day, enjoy the view on approach and departure.

Goin'

Ovation
12th Sep 2009, 08:36
FTDK

Like some of the other contributors, I prefer to go into YSSY rather YSBK. I found taxying there a bit of a challenge at first, but SY Ground are helpful if you tell them you're not familiar with the airport. It's sensible to plan ARR/DEP outside of the busy times to avoid scenic tours of Sydney or long over-water downwinds for RWY34.

As for the parking charges, I'd rather pay that than endure the anxiety of flying into YSBK GAAP, and then pay the $90 plus fare to North Sydney in a grubby taxi.

The biggest pain is getting through the turnstile gate over near the NSW Air Ambulance, where you can wait 15-20 min to get in and out after you've called them to let you through. On a couple of occasions my ASIC was not sufficent ID, and Security wanted to see my driver's licence AND my passengers licence as well.

I applied for an Airside access card to be able let myself through the turnstile, but they flatly refused, so you can land and take off, but you're not trusted to go through the turnstile on your own. :ugh:

ForkTailedDrKiller
12th Sep 2009, 09:22
It's sensible to plan ARR/DEP outside of the busy times to avoid scenic tours of Sydney or long over-water downwinds for RWY34

Its hard for me to get there before 1400 - will that work?

Ovation, whats the go with o/night parking for a lightie?

I found taxying there a bit of a challenge at first, but SY Ground are helpful if you tell them you're not familiar with the airport

Yes, it looks a bit daunting, but I have the airport diagram on a moving map.

Ovation
12th Sep 2009, 09:56
FTDK Check your PM about parking and other stuff.

Off the top of my head I'd say ARR between 1400 to 1600 would be OK, but it's a free call to Air Services where you'll get the correct answer.

Horatio Leafblower
13th Sep 2009, 03:18
I take a baron in there regularly. No big issues. I have only had holding once in the last 2 years and never, EVER had a slot time more than +/-10 minutes from what I asked for.

Departure slots are more of a formality than a requirement.

The controllers are super helpful :ok:

For a ex-comical pilot with a fast IFR single, Forky, it will be a doddle. :zzz:

Led Zep
13th Sep 2009, 05:51
I think he's still comical. :}

VH-XXX
13th Sep 2009, 07:39
Sorry tmpfish Cooly and Coffs sound similar and are both as close to the water as each other.

I'd never request a wake turbulence waiver especially with passengers, they have separation standards for a reason! Even a couple of minutes is not enough, especially in nil wind conditions.