PDA

View Full Version : Monica Radar Scope (ww2)

foldingwings
9th Sep 2009, 17:14
Anybody out there got a photograph of a Monica Radar Scope (H2S derivative evidently during WW2)?

One of my AirCrew Association members is looking for a photo (or the real thing, if you have one in your garage) to illustrate a book he is currently writing.

Vain hope, I suppose, but worth a shot in the dark!

Gerrit! Shot in the dark!

Oh, never mind! Coat got and on my way!

Foldie:ok:

Downwind.Maddl-Land
9th Sep 2009, 18:22
Foldie,

I don't think Monica had a display as such, I understood from my readings that Monica was an aural warning. I do know that it certainly didn't work off H2S; the night fighter warning system associated with THAT was Fishpond, which I understand did have a display associated with it. However, both were 2-edged swords as Monica and H2S were homed upon by Naxos and Flensburg respectively (or was the other way around!!!). Sorry don't have any piccies of either to hand

Brewster Buffalo
9th Sep 2009, 21:21
MONICA, the RAF's tail warning radar, entered service in early 1943. Tail mounted and pointing rearwards, it provided audible bleeps as a warning of an aircraft approaching from the rear. However, a German night fighter could 'hide' among the bleeps generated by other bombers in the stream.
By March 1943 the Germans had examples of MONICA from shot-down aircraft and it became dangerous to use once they equipped their nightfighters to track MONICA emissions. Although partly superseded by FISHPOND, MONICA remained in use until mid 1944. According to Bill Gunston, by that time MONICA had been responsible for more bomber losses than any other single device in the War. [Night Fighters - A Development and Combat History; Bill Gunston, p11]
my emphasis

682al
10th Sep 2009, 07:43
Monica Mk IIIC had a visual display, from an Indicator Type 116.

I'm uncertain, however, as to how widespread this version was in service, if at all, given the afore-mentioned vulnerability to detection.

There is a file at the National Archives containing a line drawing of the Indicator. I forget the file ref. but a search of the catalogue should bring it up.

Double Zero
10th Sep 2009, 09:26
It's always amazing how much ECM / ELINT kit there was during WWII !

At Tangmere, West Sussex U.K, Museum there is a simulator one can try of a German bomber trying to find its' way to target ( their version of OBOE, dashes or bleeps as one strayed ) until British countermeasures cut in - it's VERY difficult to get near the target.

EyesFront
10th Sep 2009, 18:55
Read all about it in Most Secret War by Dr RV Jones - a marvellous book that should be essential reading for all military aircrew!

My old paperback is getting dog-eared and brittle so I was thrilled to see a recent reprint for sale in my local Waterstones earlier this week

I hope someone reprints Instruments of Darkness by Alfred Price, too - another excellent account of the topic...

foldingwings
12th Sep 2009, 07:19
Many thanks, one and all, especially 682al for the archives steer!

Foldie

Atcham Tower
12th Sep 2009, 08:33
There is a photo of the Monica VIII CRT mounted below the AI Mk X display in a Mosquito in the book Confound and Destroy - 100 Group and the Bomber Support Campaign. By Martin Streetly in 1978. Plenty of copies are available on abebooks at reasonable prices.