PDA

View Full Version : Bar opening/closing times

Fareastdriver
9th Sep 2009, 16:57
The law has just changed in Scotland and the purchase of alchohol is forbidden before 10.00 am. That includes pubs and supermarkets. Flying out of Aberdeen the wife felt like a drink as soon as it was offered. It was before 10.00 am and we were still in the Scottish FIR but along came the bottle of wine.
What is the score with licensing hours and aircraft?
Should you, for example, be flying from Jeddah to the UK with BA, does the champers come out when the wheels are tucked away or when it has left Saudi airspace?
I remember an old comedy film about resurrecting an old railway line where the chief benefactor was assured that he could sink as many G&Ts as he liked when the train was moving.
Anybody know the rules?

rgbrock1
9th Sep 2009, 17:20
You think your new hours are bad? Here in the fascist state of Connecticrap, USA,
no alcohol may be sold before 11:00a.m. nor after 9:00pm. Additionally, alcohol sales are prohibited on Sunday and all holidays. Of course to ensure that they don't completely shoot themselves in the foot, these hours do not apply to restaurants nor pubs. This way the fascist state has an alternate method of raiding the till.

merlinxx
9th Sep 2009, 19:13
Normal situ was, no booze till outside 12 mile coastal zone! Yeah bloody right:E

VS-LHRCSA
9th Sep 2009, 21:30
I'm not sure how they get past local regulations for Scotland but I know on JED and RUH, we have to close, lock and seal the bars about an hour or so before landing - sooner than normal.

RevMan2
10th Sep 2009, 07:29
I remember an old comedy film about resurrecting an old railway line where the chief benefactor was assured that he could sink as many G&Ts as he liked when the train was moving.

The Titfield Thunderbolt - 1953

angels
10th Sep 2009, 13:02
I saw a documentary about Alexei Sayle once. When the pubs closed in Liverpool when he was on the piss and he didn't get a lock-in, he would jump on a train to London and carry on. For reasons I've never fathomed you could drink on a train at all times.

The researcher asked him, "Why do you drink so much?"

"Because I can :mad:ing afford to." :}

Scumbag O'Riley
10th Sep 2009, 15:32
British Rail had it's own licencing laws back then, just like there are still additional Byelaws which only apply on railway property. Criminal trespass for example. The tourist steamers on Lake Windermere were also run by British Rail. So when you got booted out of the pubs at 3:10pm you would wander down to the pier, get the next steamer to Ambleside and contnue getting plastered. Back on the return steamer to Bowness for 5:30pm and back in the pub. Applied all day on Sundays too.