PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here on 617 Sqn?

Ewan Whosearmy
9th Sep 2009, 08:05
If there are any Tonka mates on 617 Sqn that would be prepared to host a retired F-15 squadron commander and wing commander for a day in Jan 2010, could you please get in touch?

He's doing research for Dam Busters book and would like to trawl your archives and whatnot (he's already booked to do the same at IWM London). In return for your hospitality, he'd be happy to make a generous donation to the squadron bar or coffers.

TIA

L J R
9th Sep 2009, 15:30
Don't mention the Dog's name!

scarecrow450
9th Sep 2009, 15:39
What Digger ?

Calm down I do know what it was but the PC brigade might be watching !

Occasional Aviator
9th Sep 2009, 19:43
Ewan,

I assume he's already arranged access to the Air Historical Branch? If not, PM and I'd be happy to provide a contact.

Talk Reaction
9th Sep 2009, 20:24
No doubt this book will tell the tale of how US bombers took out the dams thus winning the war.......

only kidding

L J R
9th Sep 2009, 22:09
Actually, It never happened, and Hollywood is included in the conspiracy theories.

Ewan Whosearmy
9th Sep 2009, 22:24
Thanks, OA. PM sent.

Ewan Whosearmy
9th Sep 2009, 22:27
TR

I hope not! :ok:

He's actually a very, very good historian and I expect that the book will be a very worthwhile read.

Double Zero
10th Sep 2009, 12:07
I know the ideal Tonka 617 mate, but am having trouble getting contact with him quickly; your southern hemisphere chum is welcome to stay with us ( near Midhurst West Sussex ) and he would be an ideal excuse for a tour of museums and maybe a flight - after all he's come a long way...

Flt Lt Mac
10th Sep 2009, 14:23
Ewan, can I suggest that rather than messing around on pprune you write to the Officer Commanding of 617 sqn and ask him direct. It is his Sqn after all and I for on would be abit miffed if somebody had arranged a visit via the back door. If not him then the PRO. This way there wont be any I know the ideal Tonka 617 mate, but am having trouble getting contact with him quickly as the ideal person is the OC.

Just a thought.

insty66
10th Sep 2009, 17:09
Is he going to say who really sank the Tirpitz? :} :ok:

ChecklistPlease
10th Sep 2009, 17:33
Remind me Was it 9 SQN or 617 SQN?

Take Cover:rolleyes:

Jobza Guddun
10th Sep 2009, 18:42
Insty, no need, we all know who really sank it.

It's just the junior squadron trying to dispel the "one-night wonders" tag...:E

VMD+12
10th Sep 2009, 21:13
I presume he is already planning a visit to Woodhall Spa and the Petwood Hotel. There is also a museum to 617 there.

Ewan Whosearmy
11th Sep 2009, 08:33
DZ

Thanks for the help and offer of basing. Will let him know on the latter, but I suspect he's going to base himself from Cambridge. I suppose, though, it depends on what you are offering to fly him in!

Mac

Thanks for the input; the Boss's permission will of course be formally requested before he pitches up at Lossie. Given his background, he's well aware of protocol, etiquette and the common decency of doing things 'right'.

VMD+12

Will let him know to go there. Ta.

Double Zero
11th Sep 2009, 10:23
Ewan,

Sadly I'm a mere aerial photographer, so was thinking of a plebian trip in a Cessna or possibly Tiger Moth ( with someone else flying )...

I knew someone who visited Germany by coach a while ago - my comment that the only way to do a tour of the Rhine was in the front seat of a Lancaster didn't go down too well.

Obviously Duxford and the BBMF will presumably be on the itenary; I forget, where's the Lanc' which does taxy-runs ? ( Thanks for the correction, though the idea of trundling up the M1 at 70mph sounds fun if the Merlin cooling would take it) - 'Just Jane ' must be a good experience.

Al R
11th Sep 2009, 10:36
Just Jane is at East Kirkby.

Lancaster taxy rides - Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/lancaster-taxy-rides/)

BoB day there this Saturday.

Battle of Britain Day - Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre (http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/open-days/battle-of-britain-day.htm)

Jobza Guddun
11th Sep 2009, 14:03
Ewan,

If they go to Woodhall, tell them to check out the tea-room over the road from the Dambusters' Memorial, bags of memorabilia and atmosphere in there - coffee and cakes aren't bad either!

JG

Evanelpus
11th Sep 2009, 14:15
What Digger ?

Tunes help you breath more easily!

Double Zero
11th Sep 2009, 14:46
I won't blame any of you if you flame me, but...

At Tangmere Museum, West Sussex ( which is of course not related to the dams raid & 617 ) there is nonetheless a pretty good display of the ' disimproving ' job done on the dams.

Apart from the fluttering model aircraft, the bit I find most interesting is the original bomb-aimers' ' Y ' shaped wooden aiming handle, designed to give the distance off from the dam gun towers.

When getting visitors to try this, I ask them to look down; they're on the painted spot on the floor !

Now, as to the ' flaming ' bit...

There is a group photo', taken some years after WWII, on display.

Central is a black Labrador, though all those ( humans ) present swear they didn't see any such thing.

Tangmere ( the photo' was not taken there, rather Scampton ) - among other airfields - has a reputation for being haunted, as witnessed by myself - didn't believe it 'till I saw it - and much more highly qualified - very qualified people with nothing to gain, and plenty of others.

My personal theory, wot it is, is it's a type of ' stone recording ', I've not heard of a ghost strolling up to someone, kicking them in the shins and saying " Hi, I'm Eric " !