PDA

View Full Version : 3G

arse
9th Sep 2009, 06:23
Which is better? 2G or 3G?

I guess if you are talking about an iPhone then 3 G is better.

However, if you are talking about landing a 777 then neither is good, but someone knows the answer to the 3G question. Ouch!

404 Titan
9th Sep 2009, 07:52
arse

And here I was thinking you were going to be talking about mobile phone networks in HK. Silly me.:E

nitpicker330
9th Sep 2009, 10:17
Yep here we go, let me be the first.

At least they wouldn't need to change the undercarriage on a Boeing.

For normal phone calls 2 G seems the same.

3 G works ok for data stuff but chews the battery life.

arse
9th Sep 2009, 14:12
Obviously too cryptic for most people.

"What? Why is he talking about phones?"

To give another clue; a three time gravity landing recently occured in a 777. THREE TIMES GRAVITY = 3G

The Wraith
9th Sep 2009, 15:19
Arse, we GET it.... As for the landing, well **** happens, even in aviation. Thankfully it was a 777 and not one of France's finest or else they'd still be sweeping it up.:ok:

bekolblockage
9th Sep 2009, 23:55
Thankfully it was a 777 and not one of France's finest or else they'd still be sweeping it up.

Apparently not!! How about 4.6G? :eek:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/385893-sata-brand-new-a320-hard-landing-lisbon.html

badairsucker
4th Oct 2009, 06:21
What's more amazing is the individual concerned has so much history, but still flying!!!!!!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Michael Hunt
5th Oct 2009, 02:02
Totally agree. This blokes file must be as thick as a crane drivers sandwich by now.
Worth mentioning that from the 777 rumour mill the 3G followed an initial bounce of 2.5G!

geh065
5th Oct 2009, 05:04
What's more amazing is the individual concerned has so much history, but still flying!!!!!!

AND from the left seat now!!

badairsucker
5th Oct 2009, 09:14
Very true, very worrying.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Mr. Bloggs
6th Oct 2009, 20:04
So is the aircraft a write-off? Did it buckle the fuselage? What kind of damage did it do? :eek:

Which runway was it on or will I just look for the big hole in the runway.:} Did anyone from the Tower see it?

Would have been a whole different story if we flew MD-11’s, as I don’t think the gear would have held up.

Is there a video in corporate safety about it or they acting like it didn’t happen.:=

There by the grace of God go I.:}

geh065
8th Oct 2009, 13:57
The incident is already pinned up on the notice board opposite the mailbox room. Funnily enough it has flight number, date and registration on it! Doesn't make it very anonymous does it!

Apparently no damage whatsoever.

jonathon68
8th Oct 2009, 14:55
It's always a shame to let the facts get in the way of a good rumor!

Firstly, it wasn't me. :O

The emerging facts are that the 777 has no g-meter, so measurement of 'g' comes from a complex calculation of ADIRU data. There is no display of this 'g' data to the flight crew either in-flight or post-flight.

The actual approach was from a heavy weight situation (extra fuel due destination/alternate wx) plus a tailwind. A high rate of flare (which was required for the conditions) for the initial touchdown led to fuselage flex which caused the ADIRU to calculate 'slightly +3 g' event. However, that touchdown was at 300 fpm, which is almost normal.

Please note emphasis.

geh065
9th Oct 2009, 01:12
According to the official notice, the flare was started just under 10ft. Not sure how this can do anything but produce a firm landing.