PDA

View Full Version : Taliban demand air strike inquiry

Mackay
7th Sep 2009, 16:09
"The Taliban have called for a UN and human rights investigation into an air strike in Afghanistan on Friday that killed dozens of people."

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Taliban demand air strike inquiry (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8241499.stm)

Strikes me as odd. Yes this incident needs to be investigated, but wierd that the Taliban are claiming Human Rights breaches based on their past and how the actually came into control of the trucks :confused:, and are appealing to the UN.

Biggles225
7th Sep 2009, 16:16
Funny old world, isnt it? :hmm:

BEagle
7th Sep 2009, 16:30
If they would care to choose a location for a meeting to discuss this, together with an accurate lat/long, I'm sure that Messrs Hell and Fire would be delighted to attend, with travel arranged by Reaper Airways.

These are the people who threatened to cut off the fingers of people voting in the Afghan elections. That was one of their least extreme atrocities.

GPMG
7th Sep 2009, 18:04
I still can't understand why Osama Bin Laden failed to take up the CIA's offer of a meeting with ex President Bush.

Surely he couldn't have found issue with the intended route to the meeting rooms....through Dealey Plaza in Dallas....the CIA have good local knowledge of the area apparantely.

L J R
7th Sep 2009, 18:29
Beagle, why settle for a pop gun when Raytheon and their paveway system attached to 500lb does a better job...! - Delivered by same Grim asset...!

ACW599
7th Sep 2009, 18:56
Dear Terry

Thank you for your request for an investigation. We will deal with it as soon as possible. Please quite reference WE177 in any further correspondence.

vecvechookattack
7th Sep 2009, 23:14
I still can't understand why Osama Bin Laden failed to take up the CIA's offer of a meeting with ex President Bush.

Thats because he died in an air attack in June 2007

AC3854
8th Sep 2009, 02:26
Quote:
Thats because he died in an air attack in June 2007

ex-President Bush is dead?

racedo
8th Sep 2009, 10:45
ex-President Bush is dead?

Only from the next up for last 30 years but don't think anybody has noticed......YET.

Dengue_Dude
8th Sep 2009, 12:31
They obviously got the wrong one then - they needed to get the one that has caused so much damage to the world's economy et al.

- the other one's only a terrorist. :)

Surrey Towers
8th Sep 2009, 12:40
How do you say, in Talibanese of course, 'GET STUFFED.' (or words to that effect) Cheeky gits! What do they know about human rights :=

Mind you, if they all guaranteed to attend the inquiry! ;) :ok:

gijoe
8th Sep 2009, 12:54
Za na gwarram - dera manana. Wlarra!

You wouldn't be able to read the script :ok:

TBM-Legend
8th Sep 2009, 13:01
WTF is going on? :eek:

Don't worry about this little number today>>>:hmm:

Suicide Bomb Blast Kills 3 at Airport in Afghan Capital
By VOA News
08 September 2009

ISAF soldiers secure the site of the car bomb, outside the entrance to the military airport, in Kabul, Afghanistan, 08 Sep 2009
Officials in Afghanistan say a suicide car bomber struck near a military base at the international airport in Kabul early Tuesday, killing three civilians and wounding six.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast, which also wounded an international soldier.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's have the Sheet-heads hold an open inquiry into the latest car bombing! While they're holding it do a fly-by with a Paveway...

Mackay
8th Sep 2009, 13:18
The original airstrike was in Kunduz province.

While Kabul is in, wait for it.... Kabul province.

Im wandering whether the distance between the two attacks has anything to do with different Taliban attitudes in various parts of the country.

But obviously where ever you are in the country there are still going to be a vast number of them ruthless little buggers.

vevcechookattack
8th Sep 2009, 13:47
Resident troll imitating a real member yet again. He's banned - again!!

Floppy Link
8th Sep 2009, 14:13
Don't answer that!
Notice muppet's post count and the fact that he's clumsily tried to imitate vecvechookattack's user name.
:ugh:

cargosales
9th Sep 2009, 00:33
My initial reaction to this: Ho, ho, Terry's dictionary obviously doesn't include the word 'irony'.

Thinking about it though, the Taliban are constantly adapting their tactics
and this is possibly the first in a clever new line of attack. On the soft underbelly of liberal western democracies that is called Political Correctness.

Terry may actually be trying to be rather clever here, engineering splits between the various countries trying to eradicate him, using the 'PC / Human Rights / western liberal distress over civilian casualties' routine.

They may be wrong (IMNSHO) but unfortunately they aren't complete idiots.

Let's just hope that NATO and the UN don't take the bait...

CS

Polikarpov
9th Sep 2009, 00:38
Funny, from the main PPRuNe forum index this thread title is abbreviated to the somewhat more appropriate..

"Taliban demand air strike..."

:ok:

Buster Hyman
9th Sep 2009, 01:58
"Pot to Kettle, Pot to Kettle, come in Kettle...."

:rolleyes:

anotherthing
9th Sep 2009, 10:02
Meanwhile a journalist who was kidnapped by Terry on Saturday after visiting the scene to report on the civilian deaths has been freed in a rescue by 'NATO' forces.

British Journalist Stephen Farrell Freed In Afghanistan By Nato Forces, British Commando Killed | World News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/British-Journalist-Stephen-Farrell-Freed-In-Afghanistan-By-Nato-Forces-British-Commando-Killed/Article/200909215377734)

Unfortunately the rescue resulted in the death of a British soldier :( and also of the reporters interpreter.

In true journalistic gratitude, the freed reporter (who has now been kidnapped twice) even manages to point the finger in the direction of his liberators when it comes to the death of his interpreter.

"There were bullets all around us. I could hear British and Afghan voices," he added.
Munadi went forward, shouting: "Journalist! Journalist!" but was cut down in a hail of bullets.
"I dived in a ditch," added Farrell. He said he did not know whether the shots had come from allied or militant fire.

Whilst no doubt true that he could not tell who the shots came from (after all, could any untrained, or even trained person do so with 100% certainty in the middle of a firefight), he didn't have to come out with such a crass statement IMHO. That's gratitude for you.

Maybe the next (3rd) time Farrell gets kidnapped, our forces should leave him to it... After all, he chooses to go there for monetary gain - our forces have enough on their plates as it is.

Mackay
9th Sep 2009, 13:25
Funny, from the main PPRuNe forum index this thread title is abbreviated to the somewhat more appropriate..

"Taliban demand air strike..."

wonder if they would be so kind to tell us when and where :ok:

Sgt.Slabber
9th Sep 2009, 14:21
anotherthing,

After some prodding, NYT have recently updated their web article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/10/world/asia/10rescue.html?hp -

on page 2:

'...said Bill Keller, the executive editor of The Times. “We’re overjoyed that Steve is free, but deeply saddened that his freedom came at such a cost. We are doing all we can to learn the details of what happened. Our hearts go out to Sultan’s family and to the family of the British commando who gave his life in the rescue.” '

Double Zero
9th Sep 2009, 14:49
I as a photographer ( albeit with aircraft trials etc and some other 'missions' when I was indeed shot at, but nothing remotely like a war zone ), but I dealt directly with GW 1 photographers - some were still deeply traumatised months / years later - can understand the horrible position the said reporter was in.

Of course, having said that we'd all like to think we'd have the nerve to give hints, if forced to appear on camera.

It can only be said, 100% well done to the recovery team, and a huge thanks & best wishes to the poor sod who lost his life.

That thought, among others, will remain a living hell for the rest of the reporters' life, I can assure you.