PDA

View Full Version : Iiyama Vision master

mustpost
7th Sep 2009, 11:13
Ok, I'm fine with the box, motherboards etc, but CRT monitors I have not had to do before.. 2nd machine has old but trusty Vision Master Pro 21", always been fine until... Makes appropriate sound on pressing switch, few seconds then second audible click from inside and - no picture.
Ideas anyone? yes I know, but it's a hassle to replace right now..

mixture
7th Sep 2009, 13:46
Ideas anyone? yes I know, but it's a hassle to replace right now..

Erm, yes... call IIyama ? They are a top notch manufacturer, I'm sure they'll take good care of you ! iiyama customer service helpdesk on 0844 846 0884 (or maybe 0870 224 9595 depending on when you purchased it)

Don't you even think about unscrewing anything..... really, just don't ! Take my word for it, if you don't know the first thing about repairing CRTs, DIY learning is not the way to find out how to repair them ! :eek:

mustpost
7th Sep 2009, 14:37
Ah... just have :8. Found a link mentioning tube pcb fuse which goes regularly for no apparent reason; tested, that's the one, ordered, now where's the soldering iron again..
seriously thanks for the thought, but it is quite an old one and wasn't worth bothering the service desk for :ok:

phineas
7th Sep 2009, 14:49
Please keep us informed. My advice was going to be 'no good can come of attempting to fix a monitor' Hope it works out.

mixture
7th Sep 2009, 15:04
Well, I guess at least you've got some sort of background in electronics. :cool:

But for others reading this thread, I'd still maintain my original stance ..... CRTs can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.

mustpost
7th Sep 2009, 15:08
Yes, I should say I built a telly once from old bits - but that was when I was at school a very long time ago, and I do remember the shock quite well :suspect:

mixture
7th Sep 2009, 15:17
Building tellies at school ???? I wish my parents had sent me to such an exciting educational establishment, I might have turned out a completely different person ! :ok:

Well, good luck with your new monitor repair business, and don't forget to come back and tell us how you get on ..... if you're still alive ! :\

daved123
7th Sep 2009, 18:48
For a long while, as a young man, I harboured the delusion that Rastafarians were somehow involved in CRT TV scan problems...
I'll get my (phosphur) coat on the way out.

Loose rivets
8th Sep 2009, 05:18
My old science master built a TV from bits when he came back from WWII. 2.5" green picture. Open chassis, deadly EHT.

I went to visit him in recent years and reminded him that I'd given him five bob for the tube - a 4" electrostatic device.

'Yes', he said. 'We watched that for ages before we could get a new television...and for two years the picture was upside down.'

Saab Dastard
8th Sep 2009, 09:45
Frankie Boyle has a nice (apocryphal) story about John Logie Baird being a typical, dour Scotsman (read miserable s*d).

On being congratulated on his recent invention of television he grunted "Aye, but there's f**k-all on"!

SD

Keef
8th Sep 2009, 12:27
I bought one of those Iiyama 21 inch jobbies. Warmed my study, it did!
Eventually I caught up with moderm tech and got an LCD monitor. The Iiyama went to elder daughter who still uses it and reckons it's the best monitor she's ever had. The cat sleeps on it cos it's warm. I dread to think what the fur and the lack of ventilation are doing to it, but far be it from me to say...