PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways Strike

AriGold
6th Sep 2009, 21:10
What is the latest on the strike? Will they actually do it or will the company reinstate the sacked pilots. Sept 7th is here what is the deal?! are jet flights operating?

AriGold
6th Sep 2009, 21:12
FYI:

Jet pilots to go on strike from Sept 7 midnight- Hindustan Times (http://www.hindustantimes.com/Jet-pilots-to-go-on-strike-from-Sept-7-midnight/H1-Article1-446557.aspx)

Wannabe Flyer
7th Sep 2009, 06:30
So is that midnight from the 7th leading to the 8th or midnight of the 6th leading to the 7th.

Either way after so many years why have the pilots suddenly woken up to form a union. Also what is the locus standi for terminating the 2 pilots and have they moved court????

Darn 2 years ago they would have been delighted to be terminated so they could run to the others who were offering so much more.

Wannabe Flyer
8th Sep 2009, 05:31
I Guess the question to my previous post has been answered. Mass casual leave on the 8th! Now why casual leave and not a strike. Hmmmm lets see from a technical (labor law) point of view.

1) Short notice period required
2) Disciplinary action cannot be taken
3) You get paid for a day off
4) Plausible deniability if things go wrong
5) No ESMA
6) Still achieve maximum pain to the company and hit where it hurts the most.

Well my opinion and entirely mine is that the above is a cowardly act. If you want to form a union it should be for the position you all take and a demand for fair treatment across the board. If you want to take an action why don't you want to stand up for the ramifications and sy strike!

Another opinion of mine, when the going was good all these years no Union was formed, when the going got tough (economically) a union is formed. Why is this always the case? Unions were a noble cause in democratic countries when communication, education and options were limited. Unions were formed to protect the rights of workers who could not defend themselves. Over the years Unions have become not only meaningless (especially in white collar organizations) but sometimes down right detrimental to the health and economy. Look at what the UAW and other unions have reduced GM and other companies to? The pilots in India continue to be well paid. Jet for the most part seems to be paying them well and not making them do stupid things. After 16 years the need to form a union seems to be detrimental especially in a time that the industry is in crisis. For crying out loud look at the number of kids sitting on the benches and willing to work. If your skill permitted then to be taken on board in a moments notice, I am sure 600 new people would have joined the un employment line.

Lately a Union is a way for a few people to flex their muscles as they realize being a politician in a position to hold people and companies ransom is more lucrative than their current jobs. With them they will take 100's of other people down the tube.

Companies are not stupid and I am sure if there was an cordial relationship prior to this it will be washed away. It is no hidden fact that Jet has been bleeding and adding to it's otehr woes a union whihc will demand increases amongst other things will make them sink.

Other threads in this forum talk about NACIL and how their problem is a bloated and lethargic staff that is protected by unions. Does Jet airways want to go the same way????? It seems to be a dangerous culture of political arm wrestling and causing disruptions and inconvinecne so that a few sound bytes are heard and 2 new "netas" emerge.

Look to Korea and Japan and see how they responsibly handling thier strikes. White collar workers behaving like daily wage labor. What next will you block the runways if your demands are not met?

:=

bad_attitude
8th Sep 2009, 08:24
Airlines are grossly abusing the contracts left right and center. Till such a serious action is taken, the management is not gonna wake up.

Blocking the rwy is not such a good idea, AAI won't take to it so lightly! ;););)

AriGold
9th Sep 2009, 04:33
I'm going on the idea that Goyal in fact likes the strike.

Don't you guys all remember when the airlines threatened to strike on August 17? They claimed it was costing them MORE to fly then to sit. Typically, in an airline, routes are not cut because that would cost you more money to park the plane, then to regain some costs. With hight ATF, airport charges, and taxes, that's not the case in India. Therefore, Jet is coming out ahead financially, after having their worst year YET!

All the other airlines LOVE IT! Of course, ticket prices have nearly 3x in the country, and all the airlines could be seeing record profits this quarter if it continues.

Right now, it's not a strike. Not until the casual leave runs out. At THAT point, we will have a hell breaking loose. I doubt the airline shuts down, but I do guarantee a lot of pilots/fa's will get sacked, which is to Goyals advantage he can justify rationalizing routes. The Union is just playing into his hands.

It's really difficult to strike under the following conditions:

1) The Airline Owner wants to fire people, but political powers made him unfire people.

2) The airline is losing more money by operating then by being grounded.

I think the pilots are just playing into his hand. Better go back to work, or it's gonna cost your job. :{