PDA

View Full Version : Warning Lights Saddleworth Moor Comms. Tower

markequal
5th Sep 2009, 18:07
I hope that you all forgive me as a novice here and as a non-pilot. I occasionally pass the Saddleworth Moor "TV" Tower close beside the M62 above Manchester, towards Leeds. I notice that although this tower is almost on the crest of the moor and is often obscured by clouds, there are no visible marker lights illuminated at night?
Another (admittedly higher) tower above Huddersfield at Holmfirth carries lights as does the massive Winter Hill Transmitter. I guess there is a logical reason but with the advent of low -flying helicopter emergency vehicles and also given that relatively low objects such as (those under final approach) car park lamp standards in Handforth, Cheshire carry a red lamp why is there no such light above Saddleworth?
Again, I apologise in advance for my total lack of professional knowledge.
Thanks for reading this.:ok:

Rainboe
5th Sep 2009, 20:55
When I was flying at Leeds, I was quite fascinated with this tower. I drove over to look at it and found it quite a stunner. I don't know why you didn't see lights- I'm sure I saw them there, and by law the tower has to have them. I have seen the lights at night, and I recall there is another tower near there visible, and well lit.

The construction of this tower interests me. It is unconventional.

markequal
5th Sep 2009, 22:42
Thanks Rainboe,
The tower is close by junc. 22 with the A672 Ripponden Road at ~400m.
I have never been able to see any lights on the tower at night although they might be visible from the A672 or maybe designed in such a way as to be only seen from above? This does seem out of the ordinary as every other tower I have seen has lights visible from the ground. It would also be more expensive to shroud the lights? I made the mistake of trying to ask this question once before. I called a small aviation company at Manchester Airport that was only worried that I was a reporter. It is just exhausting and I can understand why people keep quiet.
Thanks very much for your interest Rainboe

Squadgy
6th Sep 2009, 11:56
markequal.

I know the masts you refer to, at Windy Hill near J22 of the M62. They're 328ft above ground level and 1648ft above sea level.

The UK AIP lists the mast, along with all other known obstructions above 300ft AGL in the AIP here:

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/enr/EG_ENR_5_4_en.pdf

The lighting status is listed as 'Unknown', however as it's less than 492ft AGL (150m), there is no requirement under the Air Navigation Order for it to be lit.

There are some more masts, further East on the M62, which are lit.

Rainboe
6th Sep 2009, 22:56
My apologies, I got my towers mixed up. I thought we were talking about Emley Moor, that monster south of Leeds. Saddleworth Moor is where Moira Hindley and Ian Brady ran amok. I only ever briefly passed through there and missed that tower, which is just as well in a 737.

Terribly sorry, I'm a southerner and have totally given up on north of the M4! In fact north of the M3 is a bit dodgy too.

cieloitaliano
7th Sep 2009, 12:26
mb21 - The Transmission Gallery (http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/saddleworth.php)

The 'strange' construction of the tower is due to extra bracing given it's exposed position.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
7th Sep 2009, 12:46
An "interesting" place to visit on an evening if what I've heard is to be believed........;)

Guest 112233
8th Sep 2009, 08:40
Is the not a big concreate mast on Great Dun fell in Cumbria - I saw it in the distance comming back from a Settle Carlisle trip - thats another story though.

CAT III