PDA

View Full Version : LH A321 overweight takeoff @ DUB

Squawk7777
5th Sep 2009, 09:11
Found this article here (http://www.spiegel.de/reise/aktuell/0,1518,647132,00.html) (in German). To summarise:

* Ground personnel used incorrect baggage weights for about 80 pax. 14 kgs instead of 23 kgs (assuming 2 pieces/pax).
* Pilots needed two attempts to raise the nose for the airplane to become airborne, plane was overweight.
* Incident was not reported to the German LBA (Civil Aviation Authority) because no "operative parameters" had been exceeded. :confused:

The rest is just typical blablabla. Am just stunned about the last headword...

7 7 7 7

TopBunk
5th Sep 2009, 09:43
Doesn't mean that it was overweight - highly unlikely on a flight from DUB to Germany in any case.

Not playing it down in any way, but it would appear to be a case of an incorrect loadsheet and presumably the wrong elevator trim being set, resulting in a nose heavy aircraft requiring a bigger pull to get it airborne.

latetonite
5th Sep 2009, 11:30
A 700 kg loadsheet error on a more then a hundred times max take off weight, you really think they would struggle in to the air? You really think they noticed? :ugh:

FCS Explorer
5th Sep 2009, 14:43
looks like someone gave an internal incident report to the press..... more like a non-event.

Bealzebub
5th Sep 2009, 15:13
Are we missing something here?

On a intra European scheduled flight why would each passenger be checking in 2 hold loaded bags of 14kg each? Many business passengers would only have carry on baggage. Even if there was an error of some 700 kilos it would make very little difference to the practical speeds. I am not familiar with the A321, but on a 757 that sort of error would amount to around 1 knot to the various reference speeds! In any event standard weights are normally used for baggage.

From DUB to anywhere in Germany you are talking about a 2 hour flight with 80 passengers. It is difficult to understand how a significant and supposedly newsworthy error could result from any of the baseline limits being exceeded?
In fact I see from your translation that none of them were.

So why would no report be made if there was a serious incident? Two attempts made to raise the nose, eh? If no report was made, who flagged the supposed incident?

5LY
5th Sep 2009, 18:19
The check gross weight message is triggered when the 320 weighs itself after takeoff and finds that it is over 5 tonnes (11000 lbs.) heavier than was entered in the FMC before takeoff.

I've seen it more than once and aircraft handled perfectly normally. All of this to illustrate how silly this whole thread is.

G-CPTN
5th Sep 2009, 18:33
On a intra European scheduled flight why would each passenger be checking in 2 hold loaded bags of 14kg each? Many business passengers would only have carry on baggage.
The text states that there were 80 businesspeople bound for Lagos, each with two bags @ 23kg.

I recall an incident (a good few years ago) when an aircraft had 'difficulty' taking off. It was discovered that the passengers were predominantly coin-dealers on their way to a trade fair and their baggage (including carry-on) was stuffed with coins . . .

Lufthansa-Frühmaschine
How does one translate 'early-machine'?

sunny11410
5th Sep 2009, 18:47
"Lufthansa-Fruehmaschine" can't be translated one to one. It just means that it was the first "LH morning flight" to FRA.

G-CPTN
5th Sep 2009, 19:01
Thanks - that's how I initially translated it - then I thought it might be a typo - then I wondered if it had another meaning. It's the way Germans capitalise nouns yet leave 'Nigerian' as lower case . . .

411A
5th Sep 2009, 20:25
...'Nigerian' as lower case

And, why not?:rolleyes:

Ex Cargo Clown
5th Sep 2009, 21:01
Can someone please change the title of this thread as there is no way on this planet that the aircraft was "overweight" in the sense of exceeding MAUW/MZFW.

And as for the few hundred kilo error, if it were that, I can imagine V speeds increasing by a couple of knots, and if the Pax were randomly distributed across the cabin, then no trim issues either.

A complete non-event.

Checkboard
5th Sep 2009, 21:13
It's typical to reduce the max take-off weight on paper voluntarily as air service charges are paid on fleet average weight. They may mean that this "paper" MTOW was exceeded, however the MTOW the aircraft is capable of wasn't.

Omykron
6th Sep 2009, 00:47
it appears, to me, like a more a problem with miss calculation of the CoG position and trim setting.

in a short runway this can be a problem.

fokker1000
6th Sep 2009, 01:17
Guess by that post your not a pilot then?
judging by the number of posts you are an insominiac?
wake up,
Smell the coffee,
More importantly just get real.
PS. What's your line of work? Prime?:}:8:D:=:(:sad::p

IFixPlanes
6th Sep 2009, 13:19
BTW: the 1st flight in the morning (LH 4985) was a A319 :ugh:

Squawk7777
10th Sep 2009, 10:40
Gee people, what's up with all this hostility? Other people put cr@p threads in R&N, especially links from news sites (look at the AMX hijack right now). The only thing that puzzles me about LH is that incorrect loading does not trigger the equivalent of a MOR.

EI-TECH
13th Sep 2009, 10:14
it wasnt a 319. Most mornings it is a 319 except when loads are high.