PDA

View Full Version : CFM56 IDG query

subsonic69
5th Sep 2009, 04:11
hi guys!! i need help on this one. im just keeping an open mind. I have worked on the cfm56 engines (a320s and 340s). while troubleshooting the other day..

trouble was: idg oil temp is in excess of 140 celsius, on the ELEC page of the lower ecam.

now. a colleague of mine told us to replace the sensor first. but afaik, the sensor for the IDG is built in.. so I told him that.

unfortunately he told me that he had worked an a cfm56 engine before and he was so sure that he has encountered an idg with a temp sensor that can be replaced. without needing to replace the IDG. got me interested!

Now I'm keeping an open mind since I know he was worked in the aviation industry about 3x longer than me.

I just want to confirm.. is there any guys here who has worked on CFM56 engines irregardless of aircraft type with the same type of sensor he has described ?

if so which aircraft and which series of cfm56-??????

sorry bout the lack of info. but any help would be great.. I might learn a thing or two here..:}

Cheers!!!

Aus_AF
5th Sep 2009, 11:12
So in civvy street you are not required to use a publication to carry out maintenance? (I do note the previous response)

What are you going to change this component IAW when you get a response from google or another CFM 'expert' in the forum here?

Sounds dodgy as, but maybe thats the norm??

subsonic69
5th Sep 2009, 12:24
thanks grababadger for the response.

aus_af.. we are required to use publication, and its updated.. im just interested if there is any.

and im not going to change any component if ive got a reply from google, my question is based more on curiosity.

smudgethecat
5th Sep 2009, 13:28
grababadger what are talking about???? the idg uses a totally seperate oil supply nothing whatsoever to do with the engine lubrication system if you havent a clue what your talking about id refrain from posting ,supersonic, use the AMM/IPC/CMM and the TSM FFS

Aus_AF
5th Sep 2009, 22:24
Just wondering which CFM56 using airline you are working for, the lack of training on the engine you maintain concerns me.

The mentoring from another with 3 times the experience is flaky at best.

The attitude shown 'I know boats' from this senior person is crap. Why you come here to try and fault find your civilian airliner should be of interest to the the body managing airworthiness in your country, if such a thing exists(?)

Who did you say you worked for? Did you end up at John Holland?

subsonic69
6th Sep 2009, 03:46
smudgethecat... I did use Airn@v for the AMM and the TSM. My query is more of a just wanna know if there is ANY..

this is funny.. again pls understand im not looking for trobleshooting.

Aus_AirForce..who said I'm basing my troubleshooting from the reply here?

question is: is there any aircraft and which cfm56?

lack of training ? the idg of the cfm56-5b engine that we maintain doesnt have it... does yours ? or are you just saying that all cfm56 as long as cfm56 are the same :confused:

I would be thanking you right now if I got an answer or you tried to give an answer.

aside from that I can ask a lot of silly questions if i dont know the silly answer.
apologies if I'm not the know it all type. I'm more of an ask-or-check-if-i-dont-know-and confirm-if im-unsure type of guy SIR. :}

oh by the way... welcome to PPRUNE (rumour network) :ugh:

Aus_AF
6th Sep 2009, 08:06
i need help on this one. im just keeping an open mind. I have worked on the cfm56 engines (a320s and 340s). while troubleshooting the other day..

And then you try and deny this;

who said I'm basing my troubleshooting from the reply here?

Whatever you say, its probably in your best interest to consult manuals / publications than troubleshoot here. I note you participated in the thread where in the Philippines liscences for aircrew were being handed out willy-nilly, did the same occur for your sumpie ticket?

Please tell me that you don't work on Aussie based airlines, you methods worry me.

a300dave
6th Sep 2009, 11:12
Subsonic,

The Hamilton Sundstrand IDGs fitted to the CFM56-5Bs which we look after, have internal oil temp thermistors and cannot be replaced.
Some of my collegues think that CSD temp sensors could be replaced, but no one here has done it to said IDG.
Hope that helps.

timothy taylor
6th Sep 2009, 20:46
We change temp sensors on 737 classic CSDs, with info from a tech instruction which saves a lot of time and money.

subsonic69
7th Sep 2009, 01:40
many thanks a300dave, timothy taylor for the reply. that is the same as to what i know... I don't think think we have any certification for tampering with the temp bulb inside the IDG/CSD.

Aus_AF
WHILE troubleshooting the other day, does not count as STILL troubleshooting. even a 7 year old kid can understand that.

with regards to the problem, we did follow manuals and change the IDG, and after performing engine idle, and running out of options (cause the prob is still there) we decide to swap GCUs (because of the diagram at 24-21-00) .. and then boom :eek:

Aus_AF i know you are expecting the engine to blow up now. but it did not. :=

performed idle run, temperature is normal, we cant actually say the CGU is faulty since its working on the #2 ENG finely. Released aircraft with notes to further monitor #2 engine since we did a swap.

now mate.. back to your questions. I am originally from the Philippines, I am not denying it in any way. And sorry to burst your bubble but I guess you didnt read enough to know that I was mad because I have to work hard for my license and not like what others do to gain theirs. :mad:

how bout you sir? how many licenses do you have ? what type of aircraft are you certified on? there must be a reason why your country decided to hire a foreigner like me, instead of giving you PERSONALLY a chance at civil. Again I might be wrong, I don't assume. JUST ASKING QUESTIONS.

again CHEERS!!! :ok:

h3dxb
7th Sep 2009, 05:55
Gentlemen

Please stop acting like PILOTS:eek:

Subsonic had a question, so what. Let us answer him. Refer AMM 24-00 PB 100
(2)
Connector B

The following internal component are connected to it:
-
the Main Exciter (ME),

-
the oil-in and oil-out temperature bulbs,

-
the oil level sensor,

-
the clogged filter indicator

It might be yr mate remembered the external Oil in Thermo couple for the IDG installed on A345/6 , but this is RR.

@aus_AF

Calm down mate. How many times we tried to set our younger colleguages up ? I remember my best coup ,as I told a newbie , to be careful when he started to remove the NLG tourque links on a jacked B737, because the shockabsorber will fall out...damn was he scared :}

At least, subsonic is asking and not only believing.

rgds

subsonic69
7th Sep 2009, 10:26
thanks h3dxb.

your reply actually makes sense sir. Maybe his age has gotten the better of him since hes almost 60ish (i think). Most probably he encountered that on the Trent, although his mind is telling him its a cfm56 since most of the 340s around are powered by CFM.

But still ive got a lot of respect for the old chap cause i've learn more than a thing or two from him.

to those who've been helpful.. thanks... :ok:

till the next query ... :8

Fargoo
16th Sep 2009, 17:43
In his defence the OP asked if the IDG oil temp sensor could be changed seperately and you went into detail of the fuel temp system and engine oil system

As regards to your question then I suppose it does have external temp probes, remember oil is being circulated at many points through the engine hence the oil temp is not taken from the IDG itself.

As the engine oil and IDG oil don't mix in the fuel oil cooler i'm not really sure what point he's missed exactly.

Back to the original question, we can't change the temp sensor seperately on ours either :ok: