PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair increases baggage fees - Oct 1st

mutt
5th Sep 2009, 01:51
In a further effort to encourage passengers to travel with carry-on luggage only, the budget airline is increasing the cost of checking in one bag online from €10 to €15 per flight from October 1st. Where a bag is checked in at the airport, the cost will rise from €20 to €30, Ryanair announced yesterday.

The carrier is doubling the checked-in baggage allowance for each passenger, from one bag of up to 15kg to two bags of up to 15kg each.

However, customers will pay dearly for the privilege of checking in a second bag, with the fee set to rise from €20 to €35 per flight for online check-ins, and from €20 to €70 for bags checked in at the airport.

Fees for carrying sports equipment are also going up, from €30 to €40 online and €40 to €50 at the airport. The excess bag fee payable at the airport is being increased from €15 to €20 per kilo.

Thats it for me.... I wont consider Ryanair unless its for a weekend shag fest...

Mutt

powerstall
5th Sep 2009, 01:55
A few more fees here and there (with whatever they could come up next) and Ryanair will cost more than any other Legacy carriers, if you sum it all up.

Maybe next time, i'll just take the high speed train. :ok:

ConstantFlyer
5th Sep 2009, 18:49
Someone once told me that when preparing for a journey, I should lay out everything I wanted to take, then put half of it back in the wardrobe. Then work out how much money I'd need, and double it.

As a constant flyer, I take the absolute minimum amount of stuff with me, whether travelling for business or pleasure. Ryanair is just pushing the market as far as it will go. Those who are able to conform to its strictures - however extreme they may seem - will continue to fly with them; those who feel they can't will go elsewhere.

I'm lucky that conforming is easy for me; but I recognise that others may have a genuine need to take heavy or bulky equipment, and for them a balance needs to be drawn between a cheap flight with high-cost extras, and a more expensive all-in option. However, I have less sympathy for those travellers - including several members of my own family - who may pack first and engage brain later, taking vast quantities of stuff they don't actually use or need.