View Full Version : Garrett Solves PNG's Safety Problem

poteroo
5th Sep 2009, 00:06
' A$2million to improve Kokoda airstrips by Nick Butterly
The West australian, Sat 5th September,2009

Australia will spend almost $2 million improving about 6 remote and dangerous airstrips along the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea, Federal Heritage Minister Peter Garrett says.

Many airstrips had had little improvement since they were first carved out of the jungle by troops during WW2, Mr Garrett said yesterday.

The $2 million is likely to be just a small portion of funds to be spent in coming years by Australia to improve airstrips in the area, and air safety in general in PNG.

Mr Garrett said the initial funds would be spent on safety audits of strips along the trail so experts could get a better picture of the work needed.

This work was essential given the many Australians who were travelling to PNG each year to trek the trail, he said

Pete's obviously very well advised there in nice safe VFR Canberra!

happy days.....

compressor stall
5th Sep 2009, 00:21
One of the main risk mitigation measures is of course to remove the Hazard.

Let's see if the auditors suggest razing some of those pesky hazardous high peaks.... :}

tinpis
5th Sep 2009, 00:27
Any guess where the ozzer taxpayer $2 mill. will end up?

Killer Loop
5th Sep 2009, 01:10
I'm sure the Aussie government will have factored this in Tinpis. Therefore the actual cost of the improvements in the eyes of the Aussie government should be around $72.50.

tinpis
5th Sep 2009, 01:14
Yes of course, wonderful things being done up here with SIHIP funds. So far no houses, but hey, the cost per house has blown out to $2 mill.
Does anybody care?
Blessing I suppose,we have been spared images of Kev The Builder in hard hat, pointing to something in the distance while studying upside down plans.

Yeah right..

How can we dance when our earth is turning
How do we sleep when our beds are burning

Four wheels scare the cockatoos
From kintore east to yuendemu
The western desert lives and breathes
In forty five degreesHow can we dance when our earth is turning
How do we sleep when our beds are burning

bushy
5th Sep 2009, 08:49
Will 2 million fix anything??

I remember John Howard saying he would spend "tens of millions of dollars" to fix the aboriginal problems. It soon got to "500 million this year"
And we all know it will take years, or decades.

Pollies are actors.

blackhand
5th Sep 2009, 09:59
Tinpis
Rumour has it that the airstrip upgrade is going to be the latest CDEP project and they are recruiting in your area :ok:

tinpis
5th Sep 2009, 10:30
It will need at least four or five "Staff Accommodation buildings" at about $1 million a copy first.
Plus suitable TWIN engine FIFO arrangements for senior public poo-bars to inspect and provide hard hat photo opportunities for you - know -who

tinpis
5th Sep 2009, 15:01
Of course all the rotten bastards are doing is using the Kokoda legend and your $2 million for their own political purposes (spin)
There would be huge $igns erected at Efogi and Kokoda to bring to Oz trekkers attention the wonderful contributions of Bollard and co.
Signed by Big Julie as well no doubt

tinpis
5th Sep 2009, 20:39
And another thing.... there'd be bugger left of the $2m by the time Dear Leader bought a new pair of Gucci sandals for Sir Michael, and had special "Moresby proof" catering ordered for the jet

an3_bolt
5th Sep 2009, 21:23
The Australian Government has committed $1.8 million to fast-track a range of safety projects along the Kokoda Track.

Australian Heritage Minister, Peter Garrett, and Papua New Guinean Minister for Tourism, Culture and the Arts, Charles Abel, said this initial funding was the first part of a broader program of joint initiatives between the two governments.

The initial $1.8m will be used to undertake safety enhancements at airstrips - including Kokoda, improvements to communications along the Track and maintenance work on the Owers Corner Road.

Specific safety measures made possible by this funding are:

Risk assessments and safety audits by PNG Civil Aviation Authority and CASA at Kokoda, Manari, Kagi, Melei, Efogi and Naduri airstrips.
Installing safety equipment, including windsocks, cones and markers and provision of maintenance equipment at the six airstrips.
Building sheds, including installing weighing scales, at airstrips.
Providing regular maintenance works - mowing, clearing drains and repairing potholes - at all six airstrips.
Carrying out urgent repairs to Owers Corner Road, including grading, gravelling and installing new drainage.
Upgrading Sogeri Bridge Road
Constructing footbridges at key points along the Track in consultation with communities and the trekking industry.
Investigating if another radio channel for emergencies is feasible.
Installing a second radio channel for emergencies and providing training and additional radio equipment along the Track.
Implementing a rolling replacement program to provide and maintain additional radios in villages near the track
Enabling initial work to identify areas where there are explosives on the Track and how to best address this issue.
A second tranche of measures is currently being developed by governments, communities and stakeholders to identify further, major works needed to improve roads, airstrips and communications. These will be informed by the results of technical studies.

However - it also appears that there is another program running announced 23rd April 2008:

Peter Garrett :: Media release: PNG and Australia agree action on Kokoda (http://www.petergarrett.com.au/544.aspx)

and the agreement between PNG and AUS:

http://www.petergarrett.com.au/resources/1/PDFs/PNGkokodaJU.pdf

....basically committing $14.9 million to the track and its environment.

.....so - when I read the publicity from the aus government - I am unclear as if this is an additional money to upgrade the PNG infrastructure or if it simply political grand standing from a tragedy by re-announcing or redirecting already committed funds?

Anyone actually know the answer?

poteroo
6th Sep 2009, 00:33
My reading of it is that this is new, 'fast-track' funding designed to short-cut the original April signed agreement, which might still be awaiting sign-off by one or other Parliaments. It would be too cynical for words, even knowing the propensity of this Federal government for spin-doctoring, for it to be a part of, rather than an addition to, the funding. Or would that worry Canberra?

BTW, notice that Naoro isn't on the list. Has it been re-named, or do they reckon it's too difficult to improve?

happy days.....

tinpis
6th Sep 2009, 00:41
Poteroo would remember the days of strip reports. A, B, C, D etc
Beautifully manicured surfaces like bowling greens with sparkling white cone markers.

poteroo
6th Sep 2009, 01:02
G'day Tinny,

Ahhh, them's were the days.....that is.....provided the kiap wasn't notable for hangovers - then you knew what to expect. DYO?....would love to see anyone doing a 'flight school' type strip inspection on many of the above listed strips.

On another track....wish I had the quals to list myself as a climate change consultant. Peter needs several of these to tell him how to expedite PNG's warming and drying , until it's always VFR. Problem will be solved! Good money available for it too!

happy days,

Chimbu chuckles
6th Sep 2009, 04:55
New foot bridges?

Clean out the 'explosives'?

Surely the attraction of the track is crossing rivers on the same sort of tree trunks used by the villagers and diggers? And as for the unexploded ordinance, well what little is still close to the track would have been put there by the trekking companies to show trekkers - as in moved there from deeper in the jungle where the trekkers never go.

As for the rest of that Nanny State list - well lets just say nothing on it ever killed anyone - the mountains and the weather on the other hand:ugh:

psycho joe
6th Sep 2009, 08:04
I'm surprised that the government hasn't committed to building a 6 lane highway over the track and leveling the ranges.

Never underestimate Australian Government's ability to take a relatively pristine area of great wartime history and significance to Australians and other peoples of the world and completely F:mad:k it up in the interest of safety and public access.

Take the beach at ANZAC cove as a classic example. It no longer exists because a bloody great road was built straight over the top of it at the insistance of our great government, and in the process countless diggers remains were left unearthed. :(

the wizard of auz
6th Sep 2009, 08:11
I would suggest that the money is being announced to make them look good in the public eye. they also know that while they are sending the money over there, it as sure as sh1t its going to come back into the country in a pretty short time frame to buy property in CS and BN. Thats where most of the big men like to buy their property these days. As for the actual money that will get spent on the airstrips...... well, maybe a couple of new cone markers if they don't get stolen from POM on the way there. :ugh::rolleyes:

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Sep 2009, 09:03
For gawd sake, can't people leave well enough alone? I read Fitzgibbon's book on Kokoda and moreso, I truely believe the Track should be left as close as possible to its original conditions as a memorial to the hardship and endurance of the men...those chocolate soldiers!

Gundog01
6th Sep 2009, 10:02
Risk assessments and safety audits by PNG Civil Aviation Authority and CASA at Kokoda, Manari, Kagi, Melei, Efogi and Naduri airstrips. Installing safety equipment, including windsocks, cones and markers and provision of maintenance equipment at the six airstrips.
Building sheds, including installing weighing scales, at airstrips.

Here is a free risk assessment for old Pete and Co. Kagi, F&*%ing dangerous unless you know what your doing. Where the hell are they gonna put buildings at Kagi. There is barely enough room a for an airstrip let alone buildings and weigh station!! Seriously, is this money gonna go anywhere butr Sir M's pocket and a few shonks for the pollies.

PNG always has been and always will be dangerous. Improving RWY and adding windsocks isn't gonna remove the cumulo-granite. what a fu*&ing waste of tax payer money

tinpis
6th Sep 2009, 10:34
I wish I had been savvy enough to record Dennis Ranald B. heckling the great Gough Whitlam in Goroka prior to independence
Oh that there was someone today of Junior's calibre and guts to tell these stupid pricks to piss off.

ZEEBEE
6th Sep 2009, 12:57
Hey I wish you guys would STOP injecting reality into this argument. :=

There is NO place for reality in political "feel good" messages.

Trying to make PNG safe is like trying to make Kev and Pete trustworthy.

Can't really think of a better way to stuff-up the area and the trail.:sad:

the wizard of auz
6th Sep 2009, 13:04
C'mon Z. you of all people should know better. You know as well as I do that the money....... or remains of it..... will not make one Iota of difference. it will neither be safer, or richer for all the political grandstanding and feel good media releases.:ugh:

Captain Nomad
6th Sep 2009, 13:04
Hope they have some money in the budget for a change of underpants after flying into Kagi for the initial inspection... :}

ZEEBEE
6th Sep 2009, 15:03
Wiz

C'mon Z. you of all people should know better. You know as well as I do that the money....... or remains of it..... will not make one Iota of difference. it will neither be safer, or richer for all the political grandstanding and feel good media releases.

I couldn't agree with you more.....that was kinda my point...maybe I should have set the irony and sarcasm switch to ON :}

blackhand
6th Sep 2009, 18:39
PNG always has been and always will be dangerous. Improving RWY and adding windsocks isn't gonna remove the cumulo-granite. what a fu*&ing waste of tax payer money

Do you see the improvement of the airstrips and infrastructure as a wasted investment?

tinpis
6th Sep 2009, 20:01
Meanwhile ask a typical twenty something Melbourne KRudd voter.

Kokoda track? Um, a battle in the Vietnam war? Yeah, in a rubber plantation somewhere.

Fuzzy Wuzzy angels? A New Guinea biker gang?

Foreign aid? Yes of course, after all John Howard did invade the capital Dili

:hmm:

ElPerro
7th Sep 2009, 09:26
How awesome is the Federal Government??? They can get rid of low cloud for just $1.8 million!

Wonders never cease!

Gundog01
7th Sep 2009, 10:17
Blackhand

Do you see the improvement of the airstrips and infrastructure as a wasted investment?

The five or so airstrips mentioned...most definately. Kokoda is massive and certainly adequate for PNG ops, Efogi is decent as is Manari. And as mentioned in my previous post, there is barely enough room for an airstrip at Kagi let alone buildings.

Seriously invest the money in the local communities, schools, roads, shoes health supplies, clothes. Delivering these to outposts and villagers is the best experience I have had in the RAAF, and will have as much effect on safety as rwy cones and windsocks.

ElPerro:D:D They have also developed the IMC windsock....

the wizard of auz
7th Sep 2009, 10:49
I agree with Gundog. But honestly, I think the majority of the money will end up buying property in CS and BN. :rolleyes:

blackhand
7th Sep 2009, 11:07
Seriously invest the money in the local communities, schools, roads, shoes health supplies, clothes.Gunny
Are you sure this will improve aviation safety?

The smaller strips are used by smaller aircraft. These smaller aircraft also carry pax, although not usually middle-class whites.

The delivery of services to the villages also requires the use of the small airstrips and LZ's, not only in the Kokoda region but throughout PNG.

ElPerro
8th Sep 2009, 07:15
The smaller strips are used by smaller aircraft. These smaller aircraft also carry pax, although not usually middle-class whites.

The delivery of services to the villages also requires the use of the small airstrips and LZ's, not only in the Kokoda region but throughout PNG.

I didn't think it was a big ask for the PNG government to fix it themselves given the approx $390 million in Australian taxpayer funded aid they receive.

catseye
8th Sep 2009, 08:15
A few GPS approaches would probably be a big improvement instead of a dash 8 full of punters with gear down and props in full fine descending in a cloud hole! Three or four turns at over 45 degrees bank gets a little tiring

The Eye

blackhand
9th Sep 2009, 03:27
I didn't think it was a big ask for the PNG government to fix it themselves
Elperro
The thread is about spending moni to improve aviation safety in PNG, it is obvious that the PNG guvmin hasn't carried out this function, so yes it is a big ask.

Australia will spend almost $2 million improving about 6 remote and dangerous airstrips along the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea, Federal Heritage Minister Peter Garrett says.

Many airstrips had had little improvement since they were first carved out of the jungle by troops during WW2, Mr Garrett said yesterday.

The $2 million is likely to be just a small portion of funds to be spent in coming years by Australia to improve airstrips in the area, and air safety in general in PNG.

tinpis
9th Sep 2009, 05:00

Many a Kiap would be pleased with that statement.