PDA

View Full Version : Odd audio behaviour with Toshiba combined TV/DVD

The late XV105
4th Sep 2009, 20:01
Today I installed a new Toshiba TV in the kitchen (19DV616DB to be precise) and am getting odd audio behaviour from it.

It has a veritable armada of connections on the back, but the only two I can use to get audio to an external amplifier are 3.5mm (headphone) jack-to-RCA or SCART-to-RCA. I chose not to use the headphone jack because it makes it a nuisance to watch telly without the amplifier being mandatorily used for audio and it also means TV volume dictates amplifier input level.

This left me with SCART-to-RCA, which is fine as I have a SCART socket with RCA jacks (yellow, white, red RCA) grafted on to its case.

What is odd is that Freeview correctly plays back through the external amp but the built-in DVD player only plays back through the TV's speakers.

Reading SCART - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART) makes me believe that with respect to audio output it doesn't matter whether I am using a 10 or 21 pin SCART connection; it will always be pin 1 (Audio output - right) and pin 3 (audio output - left).

Since the manual makes no mention of a "audio switching" feature and I can't find one in any of the menus this makes me conclude that the unit either has a fault or it's designed this way. If so, it's going back from whence it came.

Has anyone reading this post come across a similar situation, please?

Ta.

green granite
4th Sep 2009, 20:27
It sounds as though the audio output from the DVD is injected into the TV's sound circuit after the scart take off point in which case the only output will be at the headphone point.

The late XV105
4th Sep 2009, 20:49
Yup, thanks gg. Quite likely as I've since found that if I watch a TV channel and then inject a DVD, the picture switches over to DVD, the TV plays DVD audio, but the external amplifier continues to play the TV channel's audio.

Poor product design if ever there was.