PDA

View Full Version : Army Air Corps - re-joining the Army, as a Pilot...

sapperkenno
4th Sep 2009, 16:00
I will ask the nice boys and girls in the Career's Office in due course, but wanted a bit of a heads-up on here first if possible.

I've always done the flying thing (from the age of 9) and now, at 25 I was wondering if it was too late to become an AAC pilot?

Long story short... didn't do great with my school exams, had short-sightedness etc, so RAF was a no-no, and they weren't interested when I applied aged 18. Gave me the "go away and get a degree" treatment. I was in the Air Cadets, but decided I'd get a worthwhile trade etc, and wanted to do all the green Army type stuff, so joined the Royal Engineers.

Served 5 years with them (got an HNC in Surveying, so thanks MoD :}) finished off my PPL, had laser eye surgery (and passed UK JAR Class One medical) and left the Army wanting to do the whole ATPL palaver. Sadly, my mum passed away, I came into some £££ (which I converted to $$$) and ran off to the US to get away for a bit, sort my head out, and fly out there (thinking it would be easy to immigrate once qualified :ugh:).

The US don't seem to like us Brit's, which is rather unfortunate when it comes to trying to get work/immigration visas! So now, I am back in Blighty.

I'd looked into applying to the AAC when I was in the RE, but having turned down a promotional cadre to get out, I was, at that stage, ineligible. So I left the Army as a Spr (Private) with my big ideas of working towards a UK CPL/IR. I was disgusted that RE soldiers needed to piss about with Cadres, when some of my nice friends in the AGC simply picked up rank with time-in. So they would be allowed to apply to the AAC, and silly-bollocks here would still need to do another trade course and run around on exercise freezing his arse off for 4 weeks to be in with a chance of getting picked up. Anyway, you choose your trade I guess!

So, question time... I am aware of the requirement to be a Cpl (or L/Cpl recommended for Cpl) in order to apply, so should I re-join as AAC, and apply from within? Just become a driver or something (I already have my C+E), bat it out for 2-3 years, get promoted and wait my turn? I know the Army does things to suit them, so is it likely I'd end up getting messed about for years on end, and have to start from square one, just to get to Cpl before even considering applying to be a pilot? Is there a way I could fast-track my career to apply for a flying role? The main reason I want to re-join, is purely to fly, so would this make any difference? Could I be selected for flying grading early, instead of wasting time (mine and the Army's - training me for another trade etc)?

I'm not a bad pilot, so I'm told. :ooh: I used to fly out of Thruxton with a former test-pilot when I was based in Tidworth, and he was all for getting me to apply to the AAC, as he thought I'd "piss-it" piloting wise. I doubt I'd fit in as a Rupert, and don't think that I meet the Army's requirements for direct-entry anyway. Are the military still "awkward" regarding eye-sight requirements? I spoke to an AAC SSgt Gazelle pilot, and he said the Army just went off CAA Class One standards.

Basically, would I get anywhere with this idea, or should I just kick myself for not staying in in the first place?! Would my civilian fixed wing experience (I'm an FAA Flight Instructor - only have one hour rotary, in an R22) be detrimental, as the military like to teach people their own way, and start with a clean canvas??

Thanks for any help you can offer, and given the potential ammunition for piss-taking I've just posted, I look forward to a giggle if you want to start ripping me! :sad:

Regards,
Spr K retd. (for now)

airborne_artist
4th Sep 2009, 16:05
had l@ser eye surgeryI think you'll find that this may be the show-stopper. I don't think that the Army (or any other of the Services) currently accepts any aircrew who have had laser eye surgery, though this thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/381814-current-state-play-laser-eye-surgery.html) suggests the policy may be changing, but it does not give any references.

Best to contact the AAC direct here:

Contacts - British Army Website (http://www.army.mod.uk/aviation/327.aspx)

Tiger_mate
4th Sep 2009, 16:12
I did a Course at IAM Henlow late last year and the subject of laser eye surgery was discussed. Approval depends upon what type of surgery you have had; and to cut a long story short, the expensive one is the only one approved. It was however being discussed for aircrew already qualified and I suspect that it may well prove to be a show stopper for an unqualified initial application.

sapperkenno
5th Sep 2009, 18:39
I had the "expensive one" (with 20% discount for serving military), and passed my Class One JAA medical about 10 months later, after explaining to them I would need the VDF limitation (must wear corrective lenses) lifted from my Class Two.

The CAA medical staff even commented that, had I not mentioned having surgery, they probably wouldn't have noticed. The examining doctor even called his colleagues in to observe the lack of scar tissue, anomalies etc on my eyes.

I'd asked the Army medical officers about surgery during my basic training, and they never gave me a firm answer, simply that I shouldn't get it done. In the end, I went against them anyway (as I'd signed-off and thought I didn't have anything to lose) but did tell them afterwards, and was "down-graded" for a period of 12 months, and had to go for inspection/examination by an Army Ophthalmologist. I've heard rumours (rumors) that the US military aren't as backward in their thinking, and allow surgery... apparently the US Navy has their own eye surgery centre to provide operations to it's servicemen/women.

I know from experience (with none of the night vision issues mentioned, halo's around lights etc) that I would be a lot more capable Soldier now (that they have recovered fully, and are healed up) than I used to be wearing those hideous issue glasses, or struggling with contact lenses. It isn't like Dentistry, mostly a vanity issue. Wearing glasses is, in my opinion, a disability, so the fact that this operation can make you "normal" again, is a real success. The only snag I see, is the healing period afterwards (recommended 6 months to avoid damage) but once this is done away with, you have spot-on eyesight, so just what the issue is with the UK military, I don't know??

Hopefully the surgery will continue to develop (I think the first operation was less than 20 years ago??) and it will continue to prove itself over time, so that the MoD can change their ideas towards it.

Anyway, it's T -2 days until I go to the careers office to see if I have any hopes of being a military aviator, so I'll keep you posted.