PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Training

timothy taylor
3rd Sep 2009, 20:36
Would you expect extra pay for working in fuel tanks or being trained to do so? Also what are the real risks involved?

The company i work for is introducing such training and hopefully buying some decent equipment to work in the tanks. There is a mixed reaction
from employees when asked to do such training.

Airliner777
3rd Sep 2009, 21:04
Hello!

Depends on what type of aircraft we are talking about here. I suppose you are referring to a large aircraft fuel tanks. B707 and DC-8 tanks are tricky and uncomfortable to work on (not that fuel tanks are a great place to work on). I've worked on different types, and just make sure you follow the maintenance manual procedures while accomplishing this kind of work.

Most tanks must me emptied and well ventilated for at least 48-72 hours before you "jump in". You must have a suitable respirator to keep your lungs away from the fumes. Keep your skin protected. Very important is the use of a partner outside of the tank to keep you "awake" and pull you out if you have any emergency.

Regards,
Airliner777

Fargoo
3rd Sep 2009, 21:20
Hi Tim,
We do tank entry on a purely voluntary basis, no extra money although at times overtime does pop up that's only available for people who are tank trained.
We use Sabre tank entry equipment which seems to be very reliable and user friendly other than the unwieldy hoses.
Main risks are injury to limbs clambering over the wing structure or obviously getting stuck. Risk of danger from fumes or explosion are totally minimised if not eliminated by use of a trained team and rigid procedures.
We also use rescue mats in some aircraft types which can be slightly inflated for comfort to lie on while working or fully inflated to aid recovery of an unconcious person on aircraft types with particularly deep wing ribs.
We also use oxygen alarms which double up as explosive fume detectors, these can be a little flaky though.
I'd say it's very rare for us to use the Sabre kit on the face in well vented tanks unless sealing or cleaning with solvents but we do always have the kit in with us clipped on in case the alarm goes off.
You need to choose your staff carefully, someone with problems in enclosed places is going to be a nightmare. There really is nothing worse than someone panicking or getting stuck head first a few ribs away from the entry panel. Some love it, some hate it. I'd say extra pay is an incentive but the overtime carrot seems to work well where I am!
I highly recomment the use of disposable entry suits too and counting tools in and out.
Good luck :ok:

mitzy69
4th Sep 2009, 15:40
Used to work in B707 fuel tanks 30 years ago, and no training certificates needed then.
Escape rescue equipement, I cannot think how it works, as I recall having to crawl around tanks bending and twisting through ribs, baffles, pipes and lumps and having to remember the order one got in to reverse it to get out.
OK in tank if well vented, as nice and clean, but then if there is riveting going on it is noisy.
Worst bit if after taking minutes to get up to the coal face some one unplugs the lead lamp to put his in, and you have to crawl out again to reconnect your light.
Must be a long time I worked in tanks as the hair is growing again on my knees.
Centre tank on B747 can nearly stand up straight in and get a whole party of people in there as well. Other tanks one arm your head and a torch and the tank is full up.

hewlett
5th Sep 2009, 04:26
In the "good old days", tank entry utilised state of the art safety procedures and equipment.Air was supplied from a V Dub engine with 1(or 2?) cylinders isolated and utilised as the compressor (air quality non existant), and, air hose disconnects that had a habit of disconnecting over a rib only when you got to the furthest corner of a 747 wing tank.Venting was carried out while you had smoko.Glad to see OH&S and adherance to the AMM has improved and I'm still alive to see it.

muduckace
5th Sep 2009, 10:16
Let them outsource this work to companies that hire unlicences migits to do the work.

It is nasty, life robbing work.

timothy taylor
6th Sep 2009, 20:40
Thanks for the info. Some valid points to consider, we have in the past used
tank teams(MPI, Tank Devils) but i think some one is trying to save money.