PDA

View Full Version : BMed to Addis Ababa

Evanelpus
30th Aug 2001, 16:41
Have just read that British Mediterranean will operate on behalf of British Airways from LHR to Addis Ababa twice weekly from 4/10/01.

Surely their current fleet of A320's can't be the equipment choice.

Can anyone from BA expand the story?

twistedsoul
30th Aug 2001, 18:07
The route goes LHR-Alexandria-Addis Ababa and is operated twice weekly on an A320 aircraft.

LAVDUMPER
30th Aug 2001, 18:26
Sounds like an interesting route...

That's one great thing about BMED - their route structure is very interesting! One week you could be in Tblisi, Georgia and the next week you could be in Amman, Jordan. That has to be an interesting existence - kind of a "hired gun" flying to the more "hazardous" places other airlines (i.e., BA) don't dare serve themselves.

Plus, flying BMED's A320s would be enjoyable - nice fleet and interesting routes - what else could you want (besides greater pay)?

Shagtastic
31st Aug 2001, 01:30
...'kind of a hired gun'...perhaps that explains BMed only hiring ex-airforce pilots?

Thunderbug
31st Aug 2001, 16:35
Lavdumper

"kind of a "hired gun" flying to the more "hazardous" places other airlines (i.e., BA) don't dare serve themselves."

Not quite, Baku and Almaty both places served by BA's intrepid 767 fleet, before the routes were handed over to the BMed boys

;)

LAVDUMPER
31st Aug 2001, 20:47
Thunderbug,

You are correct - BA outsourced those routes because the 767s or 777s it was using were just too much capacity for the routes.

There are exceptions, of course, but I was referring mainly to routes like Tehran, Damascus and Beirut. Personally, I'd love to fly these routes because of the history associated with those places - and I hear Addis Ababa is pretty interesting - despite the abject poverty and civil-war dangers.

I was just writing "off-the-cuff" - I should be more specific next time.

Do you fly for BMED? If so, how do you like it?

Cheers

ERJ145flyer
10th Jun 2004, 17:54
How do u apply to BMED? Is a FAA lic sufficient or do I have to get the JAR lic? What are their requirements? Thanks.

RoyHudd
10th Jun 2004, 21:36
Careful folks, Lavdumper + other aliases look a bit lawyer-like to me...maybe just a trouble-maker, but this author keeps changing i.d. after criticism..attention

Jack The Lad
10th Jun 2004, 22:56
Roy

What's your point? You got access to IP addreses here?

Sounds less like a lawyer, but more like a guy that came up the ranks from emptying toilets to sit in a flight deck!