PDA

View Full Version : DirectX problem?? help!!

tony draper
2nd Sep 2009, 17:30
Never had any games type software on this ere machine so decided to install one, a sort of Russian helicopter sim/shoot em up, it installed fine from the DVD, click on the desktop icon to run it and I get the message unable to find or open DXDX9_38.DLL.file
One sussed this was a Direct x file so did a search located and downloaded same,when I clicked on it it asked where I wanted the file placed? I have no idea,downloaded the whole of DirectX9 uzipped and installed it,still get the same message when I try to run the game.
Further research with the game installation disk it has its own version of DirectX9 which I told it to install but further noticed the advice also recommending turning it on,by that I assume it means turn DirectX on?, how does does one go about turning directx on?
Had loads of games type software on various machines over the years but I don't recall ever having to turn direct x on
Greatful for any advice been fannying about with this for hours.
:(

green granite
2nd Sep 2009, 18:28
Cant find that or similar file on my beast, but I'm using W 7 so it may be different, but I have quite a few files for DirectX in <windows\system 32> so try stuffing in there and see what happens. Or put it in the game's folder and try it from there

tony draper
2nd Sep 2009, 18:40
Yer thanks Mr G found the same and stuck the file in there,got it to run but still loads of probs,wonder if it is possible to delete the existing Direct x files from that folder in System 32 folder and replace it with the new one I have downloaded?
Might do some good.
:confused:

green granite
2nd Sep 2009, 19:06
Tony rather than delete them just rename them .old instead of .dll that way if it screws up you can rename it back again.

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Sep 2009, 19:07
Games are a bit like that.

Particularly ones that weren't designed for the platform but were ported there by people who haven't a clue how Windows works.

Giving up on trying to install and run a game because it doesn't use DirectX properly is not a new experience for most of us ...

Sprogget
2nd Sep 2009, 19:43
Direct x is a collection of application interfaces for windows multimedia - direct draw, direct sound etc, where x replaces the app name. Assuming you're on xp, dx9 should be already onboard, so likelihood is the 2.99 game you bought in Netto was cobbled together in a not very good way:p

At the command prompt, you can type dxdiag & it wil run through the condition of your directx components. You can also update directx from the ms website if you think anything is amiss. Beyond that, a better quality game is needed.

tony draper
2nd Sep 2009, 19:55
Got it running but I think the problem is activating the buggah,you have to type in a long activation code then wait for some activation code being sent back online,think I buggad it up,some kind of anti piracy thing, giving up on it tonight one is fed up:(
Thanks for the help peeps.

Jofm5
3rd Sep 2009, 11:26
Just a quick warning:-

If you rename a registered DLL using explorer then the registry entries will be updated to reflect the new name and thus will still refer to the original verion.

The only way to get around this is to bypass explorer and use DOS,

jcjeant
4th Sep 2009, 15:21
Hi,

The game must certainly be Black Sharck

Please read this:

New Intall problem - SimHQ Forums (http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2853100/Re_New_Intall_problem.html)

Have a nice one.