PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Moths in Australia

VGOIII
2nd Sep 2009, 13:25
Hi guys

Just wondered if any of you in Australia might be in the knowledge. I am an instructor in the UK, and have just over 100 hours of tailwheel time, 1200 hours total. Some on Tigers, some on Austers, some on Stampe's.

I have a burning desire to spend a season of flying Tiger Moths giving joy rides / trial lessons.

This season in the UK, it didn't materialise for me. Now this season here is drawing to a close. But Australia seems to be the most happening place with Tiger Moth flying weather, and number of operators out there that do this.

I am still young enough to get a back packers visa to go and work there for six months. So I'm trying to find a database of Tiger Moth operators who I can contact seeking temporary employment part time or full time.

Googling brings me mainly just the voucher companies that sell the flights, who often don't have a contact us link, or are willing to help. It's tough to find the details of the individual operators. Is there anyone one out there on these forums that is in the knowledge of folks I should try and contact?

Many thanks in advance if you are able to help.

merlinxx
2nd Sep 2009, 14:57
Have you tried Tiger Moth Pty Ltd - Home Page (http://www.tigermoth.com.au) ? Just a contact maybe a way in:ok:

Low-Pass
2nd Sep 2009, 16:44
Try DG&P section of the forum.

Now it's been while since I was down that way but for what it's worth, here's a little advice so hold on to your hat. It won't be easy to get one of those gigs. You will need an Aussie CPL. The working holiday visa may not be enough for an employer to take you on. Lastly (and perhaps most importantly) you're a POM! Brits do go and work there but if there's any competition for a position, you will probably find not being Australian will work against you. I may be 100% wrong but you might find in a hell of a lot of work for just "the season".

However, check it out for yourself. There are operators in several states. Most are joyflight places but some are with Aero Clubs though I don't think the give trial flights in the Tiger. Here's two in Western Australia (Jandakot - Just south of Perth).

The Royal Aero Club of Western Australia (VH-FAS)
Tigermoth Scenic Flights of WA (VH-WHW)

I'll leave you to find the others.

Best of British,

LP

INNflight
2nd Sep 2009, 18:51
Afaik there are some t-moths on a grass airfield bout one or two hrs North of Sydney. It's called Luskintyre or something like that, i can double-check that when being back home.

No idea if they are privately flown only or not though, sorry.

Privet
3rd Sep 2009, 12:05
A couple of years ago I flew in a Tiger Moth that was based at an airfield just outside Perth. The pilot was Swiss but don't let that put you off :8

sycamore
3rd Sep 2009, 21:17
If you knew your Tiger Moth,then you`ll need another 1000 hrs of tail-skid experience first !

VGOIII
4th Sep 2009, 16:00
Thanks for your help guys. Have posted the question in the DG&P section, and tried sending emails to those you recommended.

Best regards.

Iver
4th Sep 2009, 18:48
I flew in one a few years back at Surfer's Paradise (Gold Coast). Tourist ride. Not sure if it is still operating - it was fun as he11 with the aerobatics.