PDA

View Full Version : ear advise please

cptdivz
1st Sep 2009, 14:32
Hello folks I have jus arrived in Dubai two days ago (with emirates) from the UK. The last thirty minutes of the flight during the decent my right ear was hurting, my left ear was completely fine. The pain inside my right ear was quite bad and once on the ground the next few hours I could not clearly hear in my right ear, again the left ear was fine. I would say my hearing in my right ear after landing in dubai was around 80% accurate. The next day the ear and the hearing where completely fine. I am slightly worried as my goal is to be an airline pilot. Generally when I fly my ears do play up a bit(PAX), however they don't really hurt just get a bit uncomfortable and in a few hours of landing they are fine. I was looking for a bit of advise if there are any tricks to solve my problem and also if anyone knows why it happens, the science behind it( I am assuming it is the pressure difference). Looking forward to your replies people:ok:!

Kind Regards,

cptdivz.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Sep 2009, 15:02
Try Ear-Planes, available at pilot shops. It's the only thing which stopped my wife's ear problems..

cptdivz
1st Sep 2009, 19:18
Thanks for that heathrow captain. Do you know why it happens to me? Ever heard of it happening to a pilot? Anyone else know anything?

kind regards,

cptdivz:ok:!

grumpytroll
1st Sep 2009, 19:40
you might have a simple cold coming on or some trapped fluid trapped in just one ear. it will probably clear up very quickly. You might try some sudafed for day and there is also a product you can drop n your ears to remove fluid available at most drug stores. Don't panic. Good luck.

Bad medicine
1st Sep 2009, 22:18
Be very careful about putting any sort of drops in your ears after a barotrauma. If you have even a small perforation, you can cause a lot of problems. Get checked by a doc first.

Cheers,

BM

cptdivz
2nd Sep 2009, 20:58
Thanks for the advise grumpytroll and BM! Out of interest do pilots ever fly with a cold? Also isn't it dangerous on the decent if a pilot has hearing related problems- less concentration on the approach etc because his ear is bugging him!

Regards,

Cd:ok:!

Pace
2nd Sep 2009, 21:20
Out of interest do pilots ever fly with a cold?

Captdivz

We often do things we shouldnt do :rolleyes: So the answer is yes. I have flown and flown with pilots who are drugged up with sudafed := often the ears will clear going up but then dont coming down. ie the pressure escapes up but does not equalise on the way down and that can cause a lot of pain especially in the last few thousand feet. maybe if not a cold yours is some sort of allergy thing?

Pace

cptdivz
3rd Sep 2009, 15:07
Pace,

Cheers for the comment.. you shouldn't fly if your not feeling well though:p!

Cptdivz:ok:

obgraham
3rd Sep 2009, 16:30
Cptdvz:

The problem is inability to vent the pressure from the middle ear to the outside. This is the function of the Eustachian tube, to act as a vent and equalize the pressure. If it is blocked, due for instance to swelling of its walls, the higher middle ear pressure will cause pain as it presses against the ear drum from the inside.

Anything dropped into the ear canal will only work by being absorbed into the surrounding tissues. Not very effective, and potentially bad.

Treatment is to shrink the swelling around the Eustachian tube, allowing it to open up. Sudafed orally, or better yet, a decongesting nasal spray such as Otrivin (Xylometazoline or Oxymetazoline), although that's for occasional use only, as the tissues rapidly become desensitized to it.

Graham MD

cptdivz
4th Sep 2009, 21:03
im back in the UK now and my ears didnt really play up thank god! the last 20 mins they both were getting a bit dodgy but it was manageable... thanks for the info graham MD.. last question.. is htere any way to train my body (Ears) to fight tihs problem of mine?

regards,

captdivz

beachbumflyer
4th Sep 2009, 22:37
The same thing happened to me when if flew with a cold. I thought an
eardrum would burst. One time it affected my performance during an
approach. I can fly with a cold only on the first or second day, not
after that. It is foolish to fly with a cold if you know those things
happen to you.

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2009, 03:40
Sniff (like hell) on the way up, and blow on the way down. If that doesn't clear it, seek advice.

If you're out in the sticks, and can't get advice...or an antibiotic, be prepared with salt and sterile water.

Search me - this forum section - and salt. If nothing more, it'll give you a laugh.

cptdivz
5th Sep 2009, 14:15
loose rivets i had a look you are a crazy guy lol! the advise sounds decent though.. i think the best thing is to try not get a cold at all during flight time! Cheers guys!

regards

cptdivz:ok:!

Hugh Spencer
5th Sep 2009, 14:33
I have mentioned E**doc before but it was invented by an Israeli doctor. I have used it myself because my eustachion tubes are inclined to become congested and it worked for me. If you wish you can e-mail me at [email protected] for any further details.

Loose rivets
5th Sep 2009, 14:54
Once, when for the first time I got that saline solution into my sinuses, the relief was beyond belief. There's something about salt...

I had an aunt that had a bad skin infection on her leg. The surgeons gathered round and talked of amputation. An Irish doctor in Colchester Essex, told the nurses to bath it several times a day with saline solution, and let the air get to it. He saved her leg.