PDA

View Full Version : EK transportation survey

Spoogie
30th Aug 2009, 13:10
OK, I will start wearing my ballistic armour for this one. How would cockpit crew at EK react if the company changed the transport policy and started offering an allowance for the crew to use their personal means of transport to get to work?

White Knight
30th Aug 2009, 14:14
Ok - so it's not a new policy, try getting the title right.

An allowance would NOT pay for a new car, registration, insurance, service for starters.. No - don't fancy driving either after a 16 hour duty from Brisbane..

What brought this up if I may ask?

sheiken around
30th Aug 2009, 14:24
It's probably Ed, TCAS or AAR incognito doing a survey for the next cut...not that they care about our opinion really.........

Spoogie
30th Aug 2009, 14:31
Well my apology..no it's not a new policy! What I really meant was, what if this policy was introduced? They seem to be trying to save money by all means. I am so aware that the allowance would not cover your expenses, but what does the company care? They have shown that the only concern they have is to save EK money. I was chatting with a friend of mine and we were just saying...What else could EK do to pi$$ off their crew? This was one of the scenarios!

145qrh
30th Aug 2009, 15:35
Don't think it's one area they will touch (hopefully). They rely too much on us being there long before our legal report time.

If we were to turn up at sign on 60mins before STD, when would we depart?

MrMachfivepointfive
30th Aug 2009, 15:52
I believe the 'transportation survey' was launched across the group, not only for pilots. The EGHQ parking lots won't have enough capacity anyway.

Sheikh Your Bootie
30th Aug 2009, 16:03
Habibis, will not happen. I would not turn up until 1hr before ETD, thats my sign on time as per the FTLs. By providing crew transport, they have a method of control of when you turn up, not in compliance with the FTLs.

SyB :zzz:

PorkKnuckle
30th Aug 2009, 17:08
Most amusing, Shake, and you almost had me going there for a minute!

I would not turn up until 1hr before ETD, thats my sign on time as per the FTLs.

TCAS made no bones about leaning on everyone during the recent "conferences" when he discussed the miscreants who turn up "late for work". When asked if by "late for work" he meant they signed on <1hr prior to departure, take a guess what the answer was!!

He says they keep the car waiting. Signing on at STD-1:30 instead of STD-1:50 constitutes arriving "late for work" in this dreamworld.

In the current climate, they'd still be insisting it's your fault the flight leaves late when you sign yourself on at STD-1:00:01 as you're legally entitled to do. And guess who'd be taking top billing on the latest "Sacking..." thread!!

CAVnotOK
31st Aug 2009, 02:56
That would depend on wether everyone decided to show up STD-1hr.

pool
31st Aug 2009, 03:35
There are three reasons why technically EK can not adopt such an idea:

1. There are simply not enough parking slots available as to accomodate all working pilots, if they have to use their own car. It is way more expensive to cater for such than provide a Audi.
2. The taxi system is a mirror of any service in Dubai, therefore way too unreliable as to guarantee a smooth operation.
3. The metro, if they would strech their dream as far as that, has stated that a handbag is accepted, however no baggage (in itself a statement that reflects their p$$-poor planning again).

Once again, why would any one respond to any survey of EK?
Show them your disdain and refraim from responding to ANY survey.

jeff748
31st Aug 2009, 04:26
Why then would they put a station at the airport?
It will be fun for the security people trying to corral the millions that show up daily, laden down like pack horses, forcing them to take a taxi.

Spoogie
31st Aug 2009, 06:41
Well, the moderator has adjusted the name of the thread which is not a prob. I get the general feel of the forum on the matter. While I am not sure how large the station at the airport is, Atlanta Hartsfield does not have a "huge" train station and it accomodates a large amount of crew and passengers. Guys look out for any surprises. They are at the drawing board as we speak with alot of ideas on cost savings. While this one may seem outrageous.....what else could they do that will surprise you???

Orangewing
31st Aug 2009, 08:43
Fair enough Spoogie, it may well work in ATL or even in LHR, and any other airport in the civilized world with a metro. However the key difference is that Dubai has to have a set of rules for every conceivable situation - as Pool pointed out, the sticking point is that no baggage is allowed on the metro here, it is hand luggage only! Read it myself in 7 days a couple of days ago.

THAT will be what stops us using the metro for work. I think there is also some rule (:bored:) about us not being allowed to use public transport while in uniform...not sure where I read it though :ugh:

radial090
31st Aug 2009, 09:45
Just adding my two (sense), around here conventional wisdom does not apply.

I would not put it past them to come out with a fci today saying "Effective September 1st, all pilots required to find own transportation to HQ". Reason to stream line transportation.
We would say not enough parking, then a revision to said fci, "A sandlot has been opened, in Rashidiya", ek pilots now to park at either sand lot or engineering.
Or they could have a deal with RTA, a ek staff, carriage, with even a porter to stow your suitcase's (with a note at the end see, we do listen to you).
And if you are unfortunate enough to show up later than whatever sign in time they have pulled out of thin air, then into the office for unpleasant tea and biscuits (pour a little whiskey in the tea, it makes it go down easier).
My point is as stated somewhere in the FOM, Ek at all times comes first and our esteemed colleagues from higher levels will do whatever to keep their pockets in good order or the mortals in the white shirts or brown suits constatly reminded who is in control. (I think they do the same thing in prison).
I honestly believe the onyl thing stopping them from taking our passports like the labourers, is that we need it to work but I really do not think our present managment looks at us any differently, the only problem is they have to pay us more.

mini cooper
31st Aug 2009, 16:09
Other problems;
Metro - my accommodation is not close to a metro station, therefore for me to use the metro I must get transport to the station either by my own car, of which there will be the huge cost of parking at station (if I can leave the car there also it is not secure!) while I am away down route to Aus/NZ. Otherwise I have to try to to get a taxi, a problem at certain times as we all know but even more so if the only a relatively short distance to travel to the station. Having overcome the hassle of getting to the station I then have to travel in uniform (are we allowed?) with my suitcase, nav bag etc to wherever the station is nearest to EGHQ all in high humidity and the high temps we all know about. Having to make sure I am there in good time I will no doubt be there pointlessly early, stressed out, hot and sweaty and then have to fly possibly a ULR flight half the way around the world- a great pre flight ritual in these times when we are trying to minimise problems pre flight!!! Oh yes and I would have to do it all again on return when I am totally knackered!!
Car - no secure parking at EGHQ!

I was told that part of the reason we have transport provided - crew and pilots, was due to UAE law (the same reason we see all the workers being bused to work from their accommodation), it is part of the contract. I may be wrong and I stand to be corrected.

This transport survey confused me, it did not relate in any way to the way we work, the times we work, it seemed to be aimed at other areas of the company. I filled it in anyway and I don't think there was one question I gave a positive answer to mainly because the answers given were ludicrous in relation to what I do!

PorkKnuckle
31st Aug 2009, 17:40
Did I miss something? What is everyone on about? Nothing's happening to your transport ride to work and back. No one's being forced to take the metro and no one's going to have to fght for a carpark (like the living-out cabin crew have to already).

Let's get a good whinge session going about something that's actally happening like, for example, the el-Cheapo CBC coffee shop being replaced by the EGHQ Costa Coffee stand filling some habibi's pockets with your hard-earned.

Boogie asks a simple question to get everyone speculating and moaning, now all of sudden we're being forced onto the trains????? :rolleyes:

QCM
31st Aug 2009, 18:24
Amazing...a guy here can throw in the air any kind of guess,and vlaaam:ugh:! a new thread has started,the experts start giving advice,...and bla bla bla and bla bla bla....in my flying club we used to say the parrots can't fly high:=

cost neutral
31st Aug 2009, 18:24
Pork Knuckle
I'm with you. Really what is Spoogie looking for ?.
Nothing has been changed, nor should it ever be.
The transport is there because we do some of the most arduous pairing/schedules of any airline out there.
To even consider placing pilots into a self-drive situation is very dangerous at the least.

BYMONEK
2nd Sep 2009, 10:36
cost neutral

Whilst we certainly don't have the cushiest number around, I can assure you that in my 'limited' 24 years of Airline flying, we don't have ball braking rosters either. Not yet, anyway! Your comment about driving ourselves to work being too dangerous a proposition is also rather odd. How the hell do the other 95% of the real world pilots manage every day I wonder?

Guys, as some posters have already said, it ain't happening simply because of the report times. If they do bring in own way transport, a 60 minute report, or a few minutes early to cover my arse ( getting fatter by the day) would be in order. I accept the current situation as a compromise because transport IS provided. They could bully you as much as you like and if you take it lying down, you deserve everything that comes your spineless way. :ugh:

Me, i'd be relaxing on the beach while the lawyers sort it out. And it wouldn't be any UAE law firm i'd be using!

h3dxb
2nd Sep 2009, 11:31
Gents,

What Do You expect ? EK parkhouse is closed and only allowed for employees with a permit, to avoid parking for metro user. Like all the fancy malls in DXB.

It is time for You guys to understand, the golden spoon is taken away. Now get your a$$ up and fight. Let me resume, what they took away:
-Housing only when You buy
-Utility allowance capped
-delayed upgrade
-I like the FCI's and FCN's , sounds really like they respect You
On top:
-yr planes are sh$t maintenance wise, and I know this

I only think, You give your car only to a workshop YOU trust, but You accept such a plane sometimes.

For the transport survey:

Will be funny , when all the pilots sit in the first row :eek:, but rememeber only one (1) piece of hand luggage:ok:

Spoogie
2nd Sep 2009, 14:47
I was not lookng for anything!!...I was merely trying to figure out how the EK cockpit crew on the forum would respond if they were "shafted" by the company and told that "OWN" transport was the way the company was going, to try to save cost. The company could always cover their A$$ and put guys at the airport on STBY incase you are late....then when you are late...you lose your flt...Don't fight them, they will find a way to win!!

h3dxb
2nd Sep 2009, 15:38
@Spoongie

How to say. The crews will do nothing. They will complain in PPrune and telling stories from meetings with Ed and Adel.

Same will go again. Damn , in my old company U guys would be already on strike after the first wrong FCI :}

Here You guys are too "friendly" , they know it and now You get the receipt.

I will open a baggage transfer service. You can hand yr luggage over to me, before U enter the metro. I bring it to the HQ :ok:

BYMONEK
3rd Sep 2009, 03:31
Spoogie

Bringing in airport standby's is always an option but these have far greater restrictions regarding FTL's then the current duties at home. Personally, I could never see that happening.

To say 'don't fight them.......they will find a way to win' is somewhat defeatist. Choose your battles may be the better attitude to take. You will be surprised that many have been won if you present a valid argument and you know the rules. I speak from experience.