PDA

View Full Version : Safely conducted forced landing north of Aberdeen

LEGAL TENDER
29th Aug 2009, 16:42
BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Aircraft forced to land in field (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/8228683.stm)

I believe it was an RV6 that reported oil pressure problems. Weather's good today, with moderate northerly wind.

Shows PFL's are not just to pass the PPL test ;)

Fly-by-Wife
29th Aug 2009, 19:45
Wot, no trees available? :}

Seriously, good to hear that there were no serious injuries and that the PFL practice was put to effective use. Is the aircraft re-usable, does anyone know?

FBW

Tinstaafl
29th Aug 2009, 23:54
What struck me about this report was the way it was written. A refreshing change from sensationalism, guesswork & manufactured drama. Wish more were written this way!

BackPacker
30th Aug 2009, 08:55
If it was "reported oil pressure problems" shouldn't we call this a "precautionary" landing instead of a "forced" landing?

The difference being that you have time to fly over and survey your chosen field. That greatly increases the chances of a successful outcome.

LEGAL TENDER
30th Aug 2009, 10:45
I'm aware there was an oil pressure problem reported but don't have sufficient information to confirm whether an engine failure followed or not. So you're right, could have been either or. However I am led to believe it was a forced landing.

L'aviateur
30th Aug 2009, 12:03
I wonder how many unreported forced landings take place throughout the year, normally followed be a discrete delivery of fuel in jerry cans and flown back to base. I know of a two this year already, one of those was an instructor!

excrewingbod
30th Aug 2009, 18:46
I suspect if an engine has seized it would be a forced landing. Aircraft was being recovered from the field today, once they had removed the wings. Information is, apart from the seized engine, there was little obvious damage to the aircraft.

Having seen the aircraft depart Longside a few mins beforehand, just glad the crew are ok.

gblwy
30th Aug 2009, 21:05
VP prop surged, followed by no oil temperature and pressure, a few minutes out of Longside, southbound. Made a PAN call to Aberdeen Radar followed by a 180 and return towards Longside. Engine lost all power a couple of miles south, leading to a "forced" landing. Prop stopped on the roll out and cannot be moved - I assume engine is seized. Cause not yet established, but wings removed and aircraft being relocated to Longside. I was right seat. My friend is to be commended for a successful landing among the cows!

BackPacker
31st Aug 2009, 07:30
Yep, that's a forced landing indeed. Well done all!