PDA

View Full Version : Power of PPRuNE

wowzz
29th Aug 2009, 14:20
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if anyone had any evidence of any 'corrective' action being taken by airlines/airports etc following comments here.
It would be nice to think that from time to time someone pays heed to some of the more sensible suggestions posted here.

jetset lady
29th Aug 2009, 15:02
Strange you should ask, as I was actually thinking about this the other day, during boarding. We were in an extremely humid place and I found myself doing regular PA's regarding the mist in the cabin, as the passengers boarded. That was definitely down to a previous thread on here. Mind you, it was like walking into an 80's disco! I also, when I remember, ask the ground staff to ask passengers to keep their boarding cards handy for inspection at the aircraft door.

I'm not so sure about airlines/airports as such, but it's certainly changed the way I work in certain circumstances and I doubt I'm the only one. The day you stop learning from others experiences, be they other crew, passengers or ground staff, is the day you should hang up your wings.

Jsl

Final 3 Greens
29th Aug 2009, 16:40
wowz

I hope so, but it works both ways.

I've learned a lot of useful knowledge on here, as a pax, too.

apaddyinuk
30th Aug 2009, 13:46
Unfortunatly I feel Pprune has something of an image problem particularly amongst professionals in the industry. Many believe that it is either full of disgruntled moaners with an axe to grind or "enthusiasts" who have little if any knowledge of how the industry really works but insist on taking over threads when in truth they have absolutely no right in being in a "professionals" forum!
The vast majority of true professionals wouldnt touch this forum with a barge pole and I dont really blame them! You may get the odd publication desperate for a mediocre story who may quote from this forum (generally in tabloid size LOL) but publications of quality will rarely if ever wander onto this forums!

Having said all that, I still find it entertaining to come in here and see what rumours are floating around...always gives a giggle!

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
30th Aug 2009, 23:19
I've learned a lot of useful knowledge on here, as a pax, too

well i hope you have been able to ignore the complete and utter bull s:mad:ite that gets posted here!

TightSlot
31st Aug 2009, 09:56
Many crew members disparage PPRuNe, with some justification, as mentioned above - the funny thing is that they continue to visit the site.

PPRuNe is not, and does not pretend to be, the fountain of all aviation wisdom and knowledge. PPRuNe is simply a piece in the puzzle. Treat it as such and it can be surprisingly useful. There are, for example, not many places where a passenger can ask a semi-technical question and get a relevant response from pilots, engineers, cabin crew or even aviation scientists: On PPRuNe this is possible.

If you do not like PPRuNe, or for example, feel that it is largely composed of 'complete and utter bull s:mad:ite', you are completely free to decide not to return. Indeed, this might be considered preferable by some to staying, but then posting that the site is 'complete and utter bull s:mad:ite'

Ancient Observer
31st Aug 2009, 10:36
As I've said in previous posts, I've now retired from the Aviation sector. Thus, I'm now a "customer", (and a bit of an enthusiast).
A couple of points - 1. I agree with Tightslot's point about getting replies. I've had useful, quick replies on pprune to semi-tech questions, which in the past I'd have asked by ringing someone up.
2. Talking to folk still in the sector, they don't ignore pprune, but are inclined to lurk rather than contribute directly. After all, lurking on this website is easier than contributing!

6chimes
1st Sep 2009, 13:47
I have to say that I find it interesting to watch the two sides involved in commercial passenger aviation. Those that pay to fly and those that are paid to fly. Both need each other in equal measure.

I like to see what SLF think, it helps me judge my responses when at work. Where else could we get such insight, as it's to late and there are other pressures to be considered when on the a/c.

It's always interesting to see the extreme views from both sides of the fence. It always makes me wonder why they can't see that they are often the reason for their own woes.

al446
1st Sep 2009, 18:20
In my experience, RYR company trolls and the anti-BALPA brigade seem to take an interest.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Sep 2009, 20:52
<<The vast majority of true professionals wouldnt touch this forum with a barge pole and I dont really blame them!>>

Not sure I agree. I was an aviation professional all my life and I contribute when I can. There are a good number of pilots on here too. Perhaps we're missing out on barge poles!

OverRun
3rd Sep 2009, 09:47
I have seen many cases, and with crystal clarity, where there was action flowing from PPRUNE. The very nature of most of these events is such that no-one is going to name them or point fingers.

If you are inside the loop though in any particular case, you get to see what happens and sometimes I’m just amazed at the success that PPRUNE has had (for the common good). The power of PPRUNE is that it harnesses the knowledge and brains of a wide group, most of whom are genuine and well disposed to aviation. Once people have moved past posturing, sniping, and obfustication, a lot can follow. Airlines, airports, air safety, ATC, aircraft sales, aviation support – all have such examples in the last few years. I can’t comment on the military, GA and flight test side of things because I’m not in the loop there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was action there as well.

I’m guessing that this power of action is part of the reward for the long hours put in by moderators. It is for me.