PDA

View Full Version : Beware Horrendous Parking Charges at Galway

deanoverton
27th Aug 2009, 20:47
Just returned to Galway airport from a 3 day break in Co. Galway to fly back to the UK in my DR400 - only to be presented with a bill for 280 euros just for the parking! I have written a personal letter to the airport's MD and will advise on his response. Until I have it, I would strongly advise all of you out there considering flying to Galway - DON'T!

Just to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable I asked the (wonderful) lot at Waterford how much they charge for parking and they told me 15 euros per night. How can there be such a massive discrepancy in such a small country? How is it I got such wonderful service from Waterford and paid so much less than Galway where I paid so much? Crazy country - but I still love it!

Deano

Bates106
27th Aug 2009, 20:51
Waterford is a great place!!!:)

jollyrog
27th Aug 2009, 21:02
You can park on the grass at the club at Waterford for nothing. Just ring the club in advance to agree it, or fill in their on-line parking request on the web site.

Waterford Aero Club [Visiting Us] (http://www.waterfordaeroclub.com/visitingus.html)
(look for the link in the green box, half way down the page)

deanoverton
27th Aug 2009, 21:05
Wow - Waterford just gets better and better! Everyone was so friendly and helpful there: what a great way to arrive in Ireland.

Deano

niknak
27th Aug 2009, 21:23
It doesn't help you now, but unfortunately it's all there on their website & explains the bill you got, how they justify it though I'll never know.
You would have thought that a combined fixed price per tonne per day for landing and parking would be a reasonable.

Landing charges (inclusive of navigation service charges).
Fixed Wing
Landing Charges are calculated on MTOW /Maximum Take-Off Weight:
First 5 Tonnes (per Tonne) €25.00
Next 5-10 Tonnes (per Tonne) €23.00
Next 10-20 Tonnes (per Tonne) €22.00
Over 20 Tonnes (per Tonne) €20.00

Parking of Aircraft

The first three hours after touchdown are free.
The following rates are applicable after touchdowns allocation has expired:

Per Hour Parking
(07:00 – 22:00)
Parking per aircraft (up to 4.9 Tonne) €4
Parking per aircraft (5 to 7.9 Tonne) €10
Parking per aircraft (over 12 tonne) €12
Overnight Parking(22:00 – 07:00)
Parking per aircraft (up to 4.9 Tonne) €24
Parking per aircraft (5 to 7.9 Tonne) €48
Parking per aircraft (over 12 tonne) €75

You didn't take your private B747 did you?

stickandrudderman
27th Aug 2009, 21:30
A timely post for me.
I recently started a new thread looking for alternatives to Galway as I plan to visit the NW in September.
Worryingly there doesn't appear to much alternative in the vicinity.
Unless someone knows something to the contrary?

deanoverton
27th Aug 2009, 22:18
There is Conemara Airport - which is owned and run by Air Aerann. I didn't use it as I thought it would be difficult to get a hire car from there - but recent research since I returned has confirmed that the hire car company I used would have delivered the car to this airport: you live and learn, I suppose.

Yes I could have checked on parking charges by going to their website but 1) I have never been fleeced like this before in 25 years of flying and 2) I thought I had no alternative so why bother

Deano

jollyrog
28th Aug 2009, 06:43
There is Conemara Airport - which is owned and run by Air Aerann.

They have quite severe restrictions on visitors and almost certainly won't allow overnight parking. There's only a few hours during the day when they'll permit you to land.

slippy17
28th Aug 2009, 23:13
Hi Folks,

Galway is infamous in Ireland for its ridiculous ways and levels of charges. I never go there anymore. I have parked overnight in Conemara but it was a few years ago and they have had some policy changes since. So am not up to date.

If you can get your hands on VFR Flight Guide Ireland by Kevin Glynn. 129 airports, airfields, airstrips listed covering by Northern Ireland and the Republic. There are detailed national maps showing the geographic location of each site, plus a detailed index.

This will give more options and you will see a lot of people and aircraft you would not seen otherwise.

Don't let Galway put you off. Ireland is a great country to fly in. Low traffic density, loads of uncontrolled airspace and magnificent countryside.

belowradar
30th Aug 2009, 19:42
Prgainised a group fly out a few years back and also got ripped off by Galway and Connemara were very unwelcoming don't plan to go back.

I have always has a great experience at Sligo and would definitely recommend Sligo as a friendly and no nonsense destination. Bit further north than Galway but a very beautiful area with surfing beaches, mountains, lakes and nice town with good nightlife.:ok:

It is smaller and more personal so suggest that everyone gives Galway a miss and heads to Sligo,you can still get to Aran isles etc from there and they have fuel and landing / parking without rip off prices.

stickandrudderman
31st Aug 2009, 18:04
Does anyone know where I can buy one of the above mentioned flight guides?

Cows getting bigger
31st Aug 2009, 18:12
This is the one you want (VFR Flight Guide (http://www.learn2fly.ie/VFR%20Guide.htm)). I think they only did a small print run; I would offer you mine but...........

140KIAS
31st Aug 2009, 18:43
Bought one earlier this year from www.pilotshop.ie (http://www.pilotshop.ie)

irish seaplane
31st Aug 2009, 21:32
Many other alternatives to Galway within a 10 mile radius if you don't suffer from an allergy to grass! I still recall the €3.10 a litre Avgas and rip off parking charges from Race Week '08 and would rather not repeat....

:uhoh:

stickandrudderman
1st Sep 2009, 06:47
Grass is fine with me.
I just followed the link above and am informed that the book is no longer in stock and not scheduled for reprint.:(
Does the Irish pooleys have ALL of the airfields in it, I know the UK one certainly doesn't.

Cows getting bigger
1st Sep 2009, 07:39
No it doesn't :(

deanoverton
1st Sep 2009, 07:47
I've got the Irish Pooleys, but without a map of where the airfields are located (and not being Irish) it's difficult knowing where they all are. The only thing for it is to mark them all out on my Irish roadmap and then transfer them onto the Irish1/2 mill !

irish seaplane
1st Sep 2009, 20:53
If you need one the author has them..... €30 or so. Call or text Kevin at +353 86 6002300. His number is in the book so its not a state secret!

Enjoy

stickandrudderman
5th Sep 2009, 15:02
I spoke to Kevin and a guide is on its way to me.
I also spoke to Conemarra (Inverrin) and they were absolutely fine with landing and overnight parking!
So Deanoverton, can you tell me the name of the car hire co that would deliver to there please?

jonkil
5th Sep 2009, 22:26
If anyone wants a copy of VFR flight guide Ireland I have one copy left. €35-00 inc P&P to the UK.... drop me a PM if interested.
Galway is hideous as far as charging goes, even the local rag ran this feature a couple weeks back. A bit of advice, stay to hell away from the place, tons of alternatives like Sligo/Birr/Abbyshrule/Clonblogue/Donegal and many many more.... and please don't be put off coming over to Ireland, it is a wonderful country to fly in, if your ever over, come on up to the North West where a warm welcome awaits you. All details in Kevins book.

Jon
www.RuskeyAirfield.com (http://www.RuskeyAirfield.com)

http://www.esatclear.ie/~jonkil/misc_stuff/galway.jpg

deanoverton
7th Sep 2009, 10:08
The hire car company is called Dooley. tel: 00353 (0)62 53103. They have a local rep at Galway called Neil (I had his mobile no. but have mislaid it for the present) who confirmed he would deliver to Connemara. Any probs, just mention my name and I'm sure he'll be on song. If I find his mobile number I'll let you know. Please let me know how it goes - dead jealous of you going back:it's so drop-dead beautiful over there!

PS My hotel said that a new airport / airfield was being built at Cleggan in Connemara. Went through Cleggan by car but couldn't see any sign. Anyone know anything more on this?

holyflyer
7th Sep 2009, 11:12
There is a new airfield being built at Cleggan (about 10nm NW of Clifden). Photos here :
FlyingInIreland :: View topic - Clifden Airport (http://www.flyinginirelandmagazine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15)
Word was that it should have been completed this summer. However, I'm not sure of its current status.

The other new airfield - Inishboffin - looks complete except the runway numbers have been painted at the wrong ends.

stickandrudderman
7th Sep 2009, 19:20
Thanks, I've now arranged to be collected.:ok:

stickandrudderman
14th Sep 2009, 17:24
Conemara (Inverin).
Fabulous scenery right on the coast.
Lovely warm welcome and 1/3 the price of Galway.
Only open very limited hours and probably a little challenging in certain weather conditions, but would definitely use them again.:ok:

john mulholland
1st Nov 2009, 14:40
Dean

It is only now that I have time to deal with our visit to Galway in July with a 261 Euros bill over the same period. How did you get on with Galway management? Friends in Irish ATC advise me that Galway come after you for money for just transiting the zone VFR. Local pilots now avoid the zone, I'm told. I intend to take the matter further (Irish tourist board/Embassy etc.) While flying is not a cheap pastime our P28A is no bankers HS125 and it will be a long time before we visit Galway again.

John Mulholland

deanoverton
2nd Nov 2009, 10:40
John

Unbelievably I got a grovelling letter the other day from Joe Walsh, the MD of Galway Airport, after I had written a complaint letter to him. He refunded me €92 to my credit card! In the letter he says : "I note the comments made in your letter an am pleased to advise you that Galway Airport were in the process of reviewing its parking charges for general avaiation traffic at the airport and on this basis we are prepared to process a refund on your aircraft parking and landing charges assocaited with your visit to Galway on 22 August 2009.

The refund will be based on a maximum daily charge of €30 per day with an hourly charge of €3 per hour associated with aircraft parking and a landing fee of €20".

He then goes on to say: "Galway Airport has invested significantly in the provision of facilities and services at Galway Airport over the recent years. These improvements have included the creation of additional apron parking areas and construction of a new genearl aviation hangar. We recently hosted a fly in for UK based aircraft in July this year which proved to be a huge success [it will have been a huge success if you didn't rip off your customers - the first rule of business!]. as part of our process in developing general aviation business at the airport we have reviewed our general aviation charges as part of that process"

Looks like we have a victory here, guys - I just hope no-one else has been ripped off in the meantime!

Deano

dublinpilot
2nd Nov 2009, 11:23
€30 a day parking still isn't cheap, if you plan on staying for a weekend.

Still better than the €84 that they were charging!

Donalk
2nd Nov 2009, 11:40
Parking charges of €30 per day or €3 per hour are still extortionate in GA terms and significantly higher than most european airports.

Incidentally I sent a total of 4 emails to Galway some months ago enquiring about charges for a three ship trip I was organising. I never received a response so ended up bypassing the region altogether.

Midland Transport
2nd Nov 2009, 12:35
I do not think that £30 is that high for parking. You wiull pay £17 a day for your CAR at most UK regional airports around London in long term! Airports like any business have to make a profit and a return on investment.

Flyingmac
2nd Nov 2009, 14:00
Try spending the day in Blackpool and see what greets you by way of parking charges on your return to your aircraft. Soured our day. Won't be going back.

Donalk
2nd Nov 2009, 14:09
I do not think that £30 is that high for parking.

Then it's relative I guess. I've flown to some spectacular locations in Europe and have never paid anything even close to €30 for parking.

Jersey cost stg 42 for landing, 4 days parking and 40 litres of jet A1. Neuchatel in Switzerland is €10 per day..........they respond to emails also!

However, there appears to be a reversal of policy amongst some regionals, anticipating further slippage on scheduled passenger numbers, to court favour amongst the GA community. To do so successfully requires more than value for money pricing though - it requires a conscious effort to see GA as a strategic revenue opportunity rather than a target for inflated pricing and shoddy service.

Galway have a bit more work to do in this respect. Moreover as the region they serve has quite a lot to offer then there is a compelling reason for them to refine their service offering.

dublinpilot
2nd Nov 2009, 15:08
I do not think that £30 is that high for parking. You wiull pay £17 a day for your CAR at most UK regional airports around London in long term! Airports like any business have to make a profit and a return on investment.

There are differences though.

With a car park, you are located in a city centre. Airports are generally located away from the city, where land is cheaper.

Also, with a car park, you turn up park your car, and leave, and pay for the privlidge.

With an airport, you pay first of all just to use the facility (Landing charge) before you even get to park. On top of this, generally it's in the airports interest that you hang around for awhile, as you might spend money in the restaurant, or take on some fuel. None of this is applicable to a car park.

I understand that ramp space can be limited, and perhaps there is a case for discouraging long term parking in certain cases, but this shouldn't really extend to a period less than 48 hours at any airport hoping to attract GA.

These improvements have included the creation of additional apron parking areas and construction of a new genearl aviation hangar.
If there is additional apron parking, then why the excessive parking charges (compared to other regional airports). As for the construction of new general aviation hangers, does he know and understand this target market? Will even one of the hanger spaces be made available to visiting aircraft?

dp

Oldpilot55
2nd Nov 2009, 15:08
I paid about £9 a day at Heathrow, Luton and Stansted this year, for my car. Slightly more at Humberside.

stickandrudderman
2nd Nov 2009, 18:49
Well, at least Mr Walsh has made some effort to redeem himself.
Perhaps he should offer a "free landing" voucher in the GA mags?

ShyTorque
2nd Nov 2009, 18:53
London Heliport charge £300 per hour for short term parking.

They do a bargain offer for 24 hour parking if booked in advance - only £765 for our type.

worrab
2nd Nov 2009, 19:26
I paid about £9 a day at Heathrow, Luton and Stansted this year, for my car. Slightly more at Humberside.

Leeds is £27:eek: (Cheaper to park a PA28 than a Ford Focus?)

Bluebeard777
9th Nov 2009, 19:46
Guys, forget about Galway airport, local pilots have written it off years ago. Its rapacious practices and extortion of VFR airspace charges (for which there is no legal basis) from GA, together with its erratic hours of operation, have made it largely a no-go area. They signal clearly they don't want your business. A shame but that's it.

There are plenty of alternatives in the area as mentioned above, also for something different go to the Aran Islands nearby (EIIM, EIMN, EIIR).

Apart from those mentioned in Pooleys, Kevin Glynn's guide is the bible for more than 100 Irish airfields.

jonkil
10th Nov 2009, 08:33
Apart from those mentioned in Pooleys, Kevin Glynn's guide is the bible for more than 100 Irish airfields.

And a new one going to print with another 25 new sites listed. Amazing how many airfields Ireland has, will be 127 airfields (I think) in the new book. Should be available early 2010.

Jon
www.RuskeyAirfield.com (http://www.ruskeyairfield.com)

MichaelJP59
10th Nov 2009, 09:42
There are plenty of alternatives in the area as mentioned above, also for something different go to the Aran Islands nearby (EIIM, EIMN, EIIR).

Just looked on Google Earth and each island has its own runway, I thought there would be just one and a ferry service to the other 2. Looks interesting for a visit.

Katamarino
10th Nov 2009, 13:45
You think Galways is bad? Try Eindhoven! Very unfriendly staff, and a mere 250 Euro for Landing, Handling, and 2 hours parking in a C172.

They seem to think that because they have a Ryanair flight a day, they are hot sh*t.

sammypilot
10th Nov 2009, 19:31
We visited the Arran Isles a couple of years back and landed at Inisheer. You have to pick the weather as they are so exposed but well worth a visit. Landing fee? We were asked to make a donation to the local lifeboat fund which we were only to pleased to do. A great opportunity to photograph the wreck on "Craggy Island" of Father Ted fame as well.