PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar Aircraft Accidents

Old-Duffer
27th Aug 2009, 17:03
I am updating a book dealing with RAF aircraft accidents and would appreciate help from the Jaguar community please. In essence, I am trying to trace the names of three overseas pilots who were killed in accidents whilst flying the aircraft.

The summary details are;
1 Nov 78 XX759 near Selkirk from 226OCU - pilot was Ecuadorian
2 Apr 82 XX122 in the Wash from 54 Sqn - pilot was Norwegian and name may have been Bjornstad or derivation of same.
27 Nov 86 XX732 near Hawick from 226 OCU - pilot was USAF exchange student David Buhto but the name is being spelt in different ways, so need to get it right

HaveQuick2
27th Aug 2009, 17:14
Co-incidentally I was browsing today and came across a site that lists losses going back to the '50s. (www.ukserials.com (http://www.ukserials.com))

It is astonishing how many accidents there were then in comparison to today. Presumably a combination of a much larger armed forces then, and hopefully vastly improved flight safety and aircraft reliability today.

Sorry for not directly answering the OPs q.

VPI Greenwood
27th Aug 2009, 18:42
USAF Pilot correct spelling was Buteau - see link:

1986 | 3366 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1986/1986%20-%203366.html)

saudipc-9
27th Aug 2009, 19:15
It is astonishing how many accidents there were then in comparison to today. Presumably a combination of a much larger armed forces then, and hopefully vastly improved flight safety and aircraft reliability today.

I completely agree it is astonishing. Funny how in a different thread we are weaker pilots now who have lost an edge and back then it was all about the pilot and his machine:yuk:

MAINJAFAD
27th Aug 2009, 20:57
Well according to the roll of honour within a booklet that was produced for the Jag's retirement (The Cat's Bow Out, Royal Air Force Jaguars 1973-2007), two of the pilots killed in your list were Capt T Bjornstad RNoAF and Capt D Bateau USAF. The first accident is not listed, though not surprising given the time constraints that the list was complied in.

MAINJAFAD
27th Aug 2009, 22:55
Pilot of XX122 was Capt Thor Bjornstadt. Details at 1982 | 1090 | Flight Archive (http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1982/1982%20-%201090.html)

Old-Duffer
28th Aug 2009, 08:54
My original note has obviously spawned an interest in accidents in general. First, however, thank you for responding, I now have two of the three names I seek.

Between VE-Day 1945 and end-1998, the RAF lost 9330 aircraft and 6200 lives as the result of accidents and the occasional operational loss - seems incredible now. For the last 55 years, the figures are 2600 and 1950 respectively. However, in addition to the reducing numbers taking to their parachutes, 'assisted abandonments' (ejections) to the end-1996 were over 700. Accident rates, set against flying hours, has fallen exponentially.

Background Noise
28th Aug 2009, 11:05
All of those accidents are mentioned here: Target Lock: Jaguar : Squadron Service : Royal Air Force (http://www.targetlock.org.uk/jaguar/service_uk.html)

Gainesy
28th Aug 2009, 11:54
Just looking at that potted history of the Jag Force and came across the following:

An incident on May 21st 1983 caused the deaths of six 41(F) squadron airmen.

Anyone know what this 'incident' was?:confused:

MAINJAFAD
28th Aug 2009, 12:19
A Sgt, a JT and 4 SAC's killed in a RTA while on a deployment (in Germany if memory serves), there was a memorial to the 6 outside the JRM at Coltishall.

MAINJAFAD
28th Aug 2009, 12:30
Full details, 5 RAF personnel from 41 Sqn's RIC were killed when a bus carrying 40 personnel overturned near the small town of Sasbach-Walden in the Black Forest, while the Sqn was on exercise with the Canadians at Baden Sollingen. A sixth airman not from 41 Sqn was also killed, and many of the other personnel on board were injured.

Gainesy
28th Aug 2009, 12:35
Thanks Mainjafad, hell of a blow to a squadron, especially if all from the same section.:(

kokpit
28th Aug 2009, 14:17
I remember the XX122 incident well, we were out recovering the aircraft on Easter Monday, with it being the lowest tide of the year. Sad to see, especially after Capt Thor Bjornstadt and his fellow Scandinavian pilot (Dane) were part of the mad 3 Sqn Xmas hoolie in the NAAFI a few months earlier.

I remember the two of them 'riding tandem' on a commandeered bike, hardly maintaining balance all the way up from an earlier Sqn beer call :)

I think the other guy also hit some power cables in Germany (and survived) a year or two later, but the mists of time......

Cheers,

Kokpit.

trap one
28th Aug 2009, 18:30
The Memorial to the guys killed in the Coach crash was 6 trees with a Brass plaque mounted on a stone. It was mid way between the the NAAFI and the JRM. When I left Neat when it closed it was still there. Not sure if it still is.

c130jbloke
29th Aug 2009, 08:24
From the target lock website:

Jaguar GR.3 XZ363/FO, assigned to 41(F) squadron RAF, crashed in Alaska on July 25th 2001 during a routine training sortie from Eielson AFB as part of exercise Cope Thunder. The pilot of the aircraft, Flt Lt Jason Hayes of 54(F) squadron, was unfortunately killed in the accident.

Was he not Justin Hayes ??

(Knew his father from Puma days - apologies to all concerned if this is wrong)

MAINJAFAD
29th Aug 2009, 09:11
The Memorial to the guys killed in the Coach crash was 6 trees with a Brass plaque mounted on a stone. It was mid way between the the NAAFI and the JRM. When I left Neat when it closed it was still there. Not sure if it still is. The 41 Sqn Memorial was relocated to the Scottow Cemetery in 2005. Photos on the 41 Sqn Retro site Here (http://www.41retro.co.uk/index.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=6)

Old-Duffer
29th Aug 2009, 19:16
His full name is: Jason Lawrence Hayes

c130jbloke
30th Aug 2009, 13:48
I stand corrected.

halvorbjornstad
20th Jan 2010, 08:32
The correct name of the norwegian pilot killed in Jaguar xx122 is, Capt Tore Bjørnstad.

Bigt
20th Jan 2010, 15:26
Does anyone recall a non fatal incident where the aircraft hit a radio/TV mast in cloud causing heavy damage to the aircraft?
Time has moved on and the details abit thin, happened in UK, emergency landing at Bedford?

ME110
20th Jan 2010, 20:00
14 Sep 84 Jaguar GR1 XX977

Rain showers and low cloud prevented the pilot flying his planned route in south-west Wales so he amended his routing to regain track south of Great Malvern. At that point, he estimated the cloudbase was 1500ft with a visibility of 3-5Km. However as he approached the Charwelton Radio Tower which was the next turning point, the weather deteriorated such that the lowering cloudbase obscured the hills ahead. The pilot decided to climb out from low level and as the aircraft the cloud he selected full dry power and started a 15 deg climb. The aircraft entered climb almost immediately and, very shortly afterwards, struck the Radio Tower. Following the impact, the aircraft yawed and rolled to the left and the port engine surged and stagnated at 70% rpm ................................
(Aircraft recovered safely to Bedford)

tarantonight
22nd Jan 2010, 21:20
....................but I went to school with somebody named Sean (Shaun?) Weatherall who I'm told went on to be a Jaguar driver. Anybody heard of him?

TN.

mike rondot
22nd Jan 2010, 21:47
There is also a roadside memorial close to the coach crash site at Sasbach-Walden in Southern Germany, near Baden-Sollingen. We (3 x 41 Sqn Jaguars) visited the site to lay a wreath on the anniversary of the accident and met the local doctors and emergency teams who saved further loss of life. I have a photograph of the memorial and guess there is a copy on the 41 Sqn archive site.

Kitbag
23rd Jan 2010, 20:35
There was an incident I think during the Granby work up period, when an aircraft impacted the Colt approach lights, landed safely, then caused a lot of head scratching due to the the shock load imposed on the tailplane support structure.

Paul C
25th Jan 2010, 09:35
The cockpit section of XX977 still survives (in my garage) and I have recently been able to supply power to most of it including the PMD, red console lights, ground cooling vents, artificial horizon, pitots, numerous warning lamps, incidence gauge and a few other things.

Cheers
Paul

the budgie
11th Aug 2010, 12:17
This was horrendous......and I was the only WRAF onboard. I have never got over it.
:(

the budgie
11th Aug 2010, 12:28
I was the only girl on that coach. It was horrendous!
The brakes were u/s, on the way to a beer call, so the driver was taking us back down to camp when they failed completely.
Because the coach had been used in an exercise as an ambulance the day before, the removed seating had not been secured properly. On impact, a lot of the seats shunted forward and caused most of the fatalities.
In my opinion, the MT driver was aware we would not make it round the next bend, and crashed the bus into the tree to stop us going off a steeper edge. Non of us would have made it, if he had'nt.
I have always felt he was a hero..........
I would darely love to visit this spot you mention in Germany. Please could you let me know how to find it.

Best wishes Budgie:(

DD24.5C
11th Aug 2010, 14:24
"On June 16th 1983 GR.1s XZ105 and XZ110, both of No II(AC) squadron, collided at Goose Bay, Canada during a break to land. Both pilots ejected."

Now i believe that the 2 gentlemen involved in this 'Sqn' manoeuvre were the current CAS and the late Sqn Ldr Brian Robinson. An absolutely fascinating insight to the last of the RAF's proper aircraft. :ok:

NutLoose
11th Aug 2010, 21:41
Budgie,

I was at Bruggen at the time when the coach was recovered there, you that survived were very lucky, I take it the none 41 sqn person lost was the driver :(

The Jag Sqns were a bit like a close knit community and everyone tended to get to know everyone else, it was a truly sad day :(

Canadian Break
12th Aug 2010, 14:52
I think the pilot was a certain S-W, known by some as "wocket". Sorry, finger trouble. This was in relation to post 21.

kemblejet01
12th Aug 2010, 16:23
"Late" Brian Robinson? Didn't know he'd left us - shame. Flew with B(F)R in Oman.

KMB01

Canadian Goose
8th Sep 2010, 02:13
Hi Budgie;

I remember you flashing your "green boob" in the hospital at Bule. You also climbed into my hospital bed to keep warm.

The driver Pete Fox, did save our lives that day - his last words were "I'm going for the trees - Its the only way". Of course in true RAF style (as the bus was military - unlike the Bandsmens) the inquest was held in secret 13 months later and the cause was stated as "Driver inexperience, and, Brake failure". I was the only surviver with extensive knowledge of busses and the leadup to the crash - and the "investigators" refused to take a statement from me. I had known Pete for several years and as an MTD he had plenty of experience. The night before the crash he told me that he had been ordered to drive the bus and when he complained that the bus was'nt up to it he was threatened with the "failing to comply" charge.

If you want more info and/or pictures of the monument reply to [email protected]

good to know your still around..

mike rondot
8th Sep 2010, 08:22
The night before the crash he told me that he had been ordered to drive the bus and when he complained that the bus was'nt up to it he was threatened with the "failing to comply" charge.

That would be the SEngO then? You will know that the rumour mill ran and ran about various aspects of that bus but nothing came out at the inquiry except wrong place, wrong driver. In other words: it should not have been on that road; blame the navigator or the driver, not the vehicle.

PM me with your email address and I will send you a photo of the memorial.

Canadian Goose
11th Sep 2010, 23:12
Wrong Wrong Wrong. Pete Fox the driver saved us that day giving his life in the process. The route was pre planned and a regular run for the tour busses based at the Canadian Base. To save money for beer the SEngO decreed that the RAF bus must be used. The bus was unable to climb the hills and was overheating so the driver headed down to get out of that area. It was too late the bus (a 52 seat body on a 39 seat chassis) had origional brakes and they failed. The bus origionated at Wattisham an the WO i/c MT Servicing got a reprimand and an immediate posting!

Budgie was incorrect about the bus history. It was at Wattisham that it was used as an ambulance during exercises and it was there that the seats had been incorrectly installed.

the budgie
28th May 2011, 13:18
I am intrigued....cannot remember the bed, but definately the green boob!
I am so glad you posted what Pete Fox said before he died. I always knew it to be true, and when I refused to agree he had been drinking the night before...........I was not approached again!!!! In fact, on my return to the Sqn, I was not allowed to talk about it at all. He is my hero!! Thanks for posting .....

Lightning Mate
28th May 2011, 14:15
Interesting...

If you wish to know more about the accident concerning Jaguar T2 XX828 on 01 June 1981, I shall be pleased help.

I was the front seater and we both ejected successfully. :ok:

I have stored the Mod accident report.

95i
3rd Apr 2013, 09:56
I'm trying to find out about the XZ120 crash.
There are different versions. Perhaps someone can help.

The book "Second to None" by Hans Onderwater says, the crash happenend 6 miles south of Nordhorn Range, Germany during a 4-ship sortie.

Ejection History (http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Aircraft_by_Type/Jaguar/Jaguar.htm)

25th February 1977
RAF Jaguar GR1 XZ120 2 Sqn Flew into ground 2 miles south Nordhorn Range Flight Lieutenant Douglas Graham Stein killed

and:
2sqnass-Our Aircraft (http://www.twosqnassoc.co.uk/pages/Jag/Pages/Aircraft2.htm)

XZ120 - 7 Apr 1976
Fatal crash following a training sortie to the Nordhorn bombing range in Northern Germany. (Flt.Lt. Doug Stein)
(not even the date is correct - what about the rest?)

But here it says the Jaguar crashed into the sea off Nordholm, Denmark.

Target Lock: Jaguar : Squadron Service : Royal Air Force (http://targetlock.org.uk/jaguar/service_uk.html)

On 25 February 1977 GR1 - XZ120 - of No II(AC) squadron crashed into the North Sea off Nordholm, Denmark after losing contact during a formation join-up. The pilot, Flt Lt D G Stein, was killed.

and:
UK Military Aircraft Losses (http://www.ukserials.com/losses-1977.htm)
25/02/1977 XZ120 Jaguar GR1 2 Sqn Crashed into the North Sea off Nordholm, West Germany after loss of contact in a formation join up. The pilot was killed.

and:
ASN Aircraft accident 25-FEB-1977 SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1 XZ120 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55390)

Date: 25-FEB-1977
SEPECAT Jaguar GR.1
Operator: 2 Squadron, RAF
C/n / msn: S.121
Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: into North Sea 2 miles south of Nordholm - Germany (?)
Phase: En route
Nature: Military
Departure airport:
Destination airport:

Narrative:
Crashed into the North Sea off Nordholm, West Germany after loss of contact in a formation join up. The pilot was killed.

There is no place NORDHOLM in WEST GERMANY.

??
Any ideas? Who knows?

Nimbus20
3rd Apr 2013, 12:01
Maybe the airbase in reference is NORDHOLZ, on the Cuxhaven peninsula, and also near the Nth sea.

John Farley
3rd Apr 2013, 12:02
Nordhorn was the name given to a military weapons range where this accident happened.

BOAC
3rd Apr 2013, 12:59
95i - you will probably need to get the BoI details from MOD to establish EXACTLY where this happened and when.

At the moment, apart from a choice of dates, you have a choice of

Nordholm, Denmark (near the sea)
Nordholz, Germany (near the sea and with an airfield)
Nordhorn, Germany (miles from the sea!)

or other offers/none of the above..............................

Skeleton
3rd Apr 2013, 13:58
It happened at Nordhorn the military weapons range.

30mRad
3rd Apr 2013, 14:22
Just done some searching on t'intraweb and can confirm date as 25 Feb 77, but access to Smash Mag is mysteriously archived (as a lot of them are) and inaccessible. They would be available through National Archives I would imagine since post 25 years.

Will keep searching and update as I can.

95i
3rd Apr 2013, 14:36
Thanks a lot so far.
Ever been to RAF Museum Laarbruch (http://www.laarbruch-museum.net)?
I tried to build a timeline (http://www.tiki-toki.com/timeline/entry/49700/Royal-Air-Force-Laarbruch/#!date=1971-05-03_00:00:00!).
Please take a look.
It's bilingual (Anglo-German).

Peter Carter
3rd Apr 2013, 15:15
If it helps, I know that Doug Stein was killed in a II Sqn Jag just south of Nordhorn in poor weather, I think Feb 1977. I had just landed a Bucc following a gear problem, when I was told.

Old-Duffer
3rd Apr 2013, 15:23
The accident report says the following:

The aircraft was No: 2 in a four aircraft formation on a bombing sorti to the Nordhorn Ranges. After the attack the No: 2 was flying on the wing of the No: 4 when they flew through a patch of cloud and lost contact with each other. It is supposed that No: 2 then made a steep diving turn to link up with the No: 3 who was low and to the left of the No: 2 but in doing so, he entered a near maximum rate left hand turn from which he could not recover in the height available.

The location is given as: 2 miles south of Nordhorn Range.

Old Duffer

95i
3rd Apr 2013, 15:29
This helps a lot.

yateseg
29th Jul 2013, 19:53
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

My dad Michael was one of the 6 killed on the 21st May 1983 in Germany. I was one and a half years old at the time and so, have no memories of my dad. My mom, Gail was a young mom left on her own with a young baby.

I have looked through all your posts and find it deeply disturbing yet not surprising that the RAF 'powers that be' may have been responsible for a cover up. If I had been responsible for making a decision that had caused people to lose lives I could not live with myself.

If you knew my dad I would be so grateful if you would get in touch.

You can contact me via [email protected] or
[email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you soon

NutLoose
29th Jul 2013, 20:25
Emma, I have sent the two posting on here that were on the coach messages to alert them to your quest, such a tragic loss, one hopes they can fill in a few blanks for you.

NL

yateseg
29th Jul 2013, 20:37
Thank you so so much! So sad to think how different mine and mom's lives could have been if my dad had lived :( So sad to think I will never have chance to know him.

Thank you so much for your help,

Emma

LightningMk6
26th Oct 2013, 15:34
I was one of the Crash Guards from Laarbruch when ZX120 crashed into the ground 1977. Proper details here (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55390)

oldmansquipper
26th Oct 2013, 23:00
I was running the Sqn Flying Clothing on II(AC) the day Doug Stein died at Nordhorn. I recall the 3 remaining members of the formation came back into my place in tears.

A very very sad day - Doug was a very personable young man at the start of his career.

R.I.P

Deepest Norfolk
27th Oct 2013, 09:41
Nothing has changed. Obey or we'll do you, if it goes wrong we'll screw you.
My Dad recounted things like that when he was flying in WW2, I saw things like that when I was in and it still goes on today. Always blame someone who died, if you can, and if you can't make it up DON'T, under any circumstances, allow anyone with a version of events that deviates from the official one anywhere near the BOI. If this is not possible, smear them to the utmost.

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to corruption, ass covering and self interest especially in MoD and associated branches.

A very sad,

DN :(

95i
5th Nov 2013, 13:51
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv733%3B%3Dot%3E2485%3D9 %3B6%3D63%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2955%3A8%3A63%3A242ot1lsi
http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6336%3Dot%3E2485%3D9%3 B6%3D63%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2955%3A985%3B8242ot1lsi
There was a wheels-up landing of a 2 Sqn Jag - XZ108 - from RAF Laarbruch at the airfield "de Peel" in the Netherlands on 31 Aug 1978.
Does anyone have any memories?
Who was the pilot?
We hear that it lasted some time till the RAF was able to return the aircraft to Laarbruch.
True?

Bob Viking
5th Nov 2013, 14:42
Based on my experience I would say your last post was a little harsh. Maybe there are examples in recent(ish) history where it may have been the case. In the time I've been in (1999-present) I have unfortunately had several friends killed in flying accidents. Out of all these I have never seen the system attempt to blame the individual or cover up anything. In fact I see a system that is at pains to honour the fallen and make open and honest recommendations.
My particular milieu is FJs (ex Jag as it happens) so I may not be party to grievances that others have with the powers that be, but I would not associate the MOD/RAF of old that you describe with the one I currently serve in and would be horrified if it were the case.
BV:=

Peter Carter
5th Nov 2013, 15:17
95i
It's not a trainer so it couldn't have been Bill Langworthy/SEngO; perhaps it was Des Sheen?

95i
5th Nov 2013, 20:07
It definitely wasn't Bill Langworthy. I have the facts about his three crashes. I never heard the other name. Will need some research.
Thanks for your answer.

95i
6th Nov 2013, 19:23
Very interesting report. Thanks for that.

ShyTorque
6th Nov 2013, 22:33
Based on my experience I would say your last post was a little harsh. Maybe there are examples in recent(ish) history where it may have been the case. In the time I've been in (1999-present) I have unfortunately had several friends killed in flying accidents. Out of all these I have never seen the system attempt to blame the individual or cover up anything. In fact I see a system that is at pains to honour the fallen and make open and honest recommendations.
My particular milieu is FJs (ex Jag as it happens) so I may not be party to grievances that others have with the powers that be, but I would not associate the MOD/RAF of old that you describe with the one I currently serve in and would be horrified if it were the case.

Bob, Have you never read the Mull of Kintyre Chinook accident thread?

Bob Viking
7th Nov 2013, 01:10
Did you not read my post. I'm well aware of the MoK incident but that was nearly twenty years ago. As I stated I joined in 1999. The point I took issue with was when DN stated it is still a problem today. I beg to differ. As I also stated I am a FJ guy and from where I sit there is not an MOD conspiracy to besmirch the good name of anyone lost in a fatal accident. Quite the opposite in fact. You have every right to disagree of course.
BV

manta 400
2nd Jan 2016, 22:58
hi I would like to say that me and my best man have been on the search for the crash site of xx732 for about a year now as kids it was very clear when it happened but finding the location very sketchy iv spoke to few farmer friends that has pointed me in the general area its all in thick forestry we would like to try to get some sort of plaque made for (David Buteau) but through right channels air crash report says it 10 mls north of Hawick on stocks hill it's more 1-2mls towards Hawick Teviot head most of air crashes from late 1970to80s have plaques as have easy access to them can point us to the right channels to do this.

Old-Duffer
3rd Jan 2016, 06:14
In many areas there are aviation research groups and it might be that you would find one in that area.

You could also place an advertisement in a local paper seeking help in locating the correct site.

On the other hand, you might feel that a memorial in a remote location would quickly become neglected or overgrown. An option might be to place your tribute in a church or in the wall of a local cemetery, especially if there are war graves there.

There is a memorial to an Ecuadorian pilot who was also flying from Lossiemouth on a Jaguar conversion when he was killed and you could contact those who placed it.

Old Duffer

Dan Gerous
3rd Jan 2016, 10:27
Old Duffer, I may be wrong so apologies if so, but I visited the Ecuadorian Pilots memorial a few years ago, and had to visit the Buccleuch Estates office to get directions to it. I think the memorial was something the Estate did itself. The Stock Hill site is nowhere near the Bowhill site. I recall once looking into the possibility of visiting this site, but it is fairly remote. In the days after it happened, I recall being on the A7 going through Teviothead and seeing the yellow Sea King away in the distance in what was a heavily forested area.

Old-Duffer
3rd Jan 2016, 11:12
D-G,

I did not wish to suggest that the memorial to the Ecuadorian pilot was adjacent to where Capt Buteau crashed. Rather, I was suggesting that those wishing to erect a memorial to Buteau might find the experience of those who erected the memorial to Lt Cesar Raul Aguille, who died near Selkirk on 1 Nov 78, would be helpful.

My apologies if my post was misunderstood.

Old Duffer

Dan Gerous
3rd Jan 2016, 11:33
O-D no problem. Writing stuff on the internet can sometimes be read in different ways. I think the Bowhill crash memorial was something Buccleuch Estates did themselves, so if manta was looking for help, that might be a place to look to. The guy I spoke to was really helpful.

Dug out the O.S. map and had a look, and tied it in with Bing maps. Stock Hill itself is a strip of land surrounded by forest, but bing maps shows a lot of harvesting has been done in there, with the attendant forest tracks. If there are no locked barriers across these, then it may be possible to drive up pretty close. Also noticed it may be possible to get in there from the Craikhope Outdoor Centre area. I do know there are barriers that are often locked on that route though.

Manta, when I visited the Bowhill site, you would be surprised to find there had been a crash there. It was all grown over, and apart from looking a little different from the immediate area, it was pretty natural looking. I can only imagine the same would be true on Stock Hill.

I might try and visit the site in better weather, but if you have any luck locating the site Manta, let me know. I notice you live in Hawick also.

Skeleton
28th Jan 2016, 10:10
I remember shortly after we sadly lost Dave Buteau that there was some confusion on the ground as to where the crash site actually was. The confusion I recall was because he was off his planned route, its thought avoiding weather. It is in a very remote location if I remember correctly.

NutLoose
28th Jan 2016, 15:39
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectHawick/photos/a.458484417554133.100247.404513866284522/907534819315755/

I wonder if they can help

Dan Gerous
28th Jan 2016, 20:25
Been up the Craik numerous times, and there is a memorial there for the Halifax crew. It's in the picnic area near the pond and stream.

Tinribs
31st Jan 2016, 17:27
Way back when I recall someone showing me a Jag FRC after what seemed a daft accident when a young feller had a fuel leak on one side giving a low pressure light and engine rundown on that side.
The QRH advised opening the cross feed cock which he did with the predictable results. It took me about five minutes to read the checklist by which time he was out of fuel.
I think the subsequent Martin Baker letdown was a success. He seemed to have been the victim of a badly written process, no doubt they took this into account at the subsequent interview, maybe

brainofdeci
18th Jan 2022, 12:55
Just seen your 2010 post. The II AC Sqn crash you cited in 94 was Flt Lt A Byford and Fg Off TE Owen and Fg Off I Knott and Flt Lt (S/L?) S MacLeod no future CAS involved.

1Stacker
19th Jan 2022, 22:30
I'm sure I watched a Jaguar do a wheels up landing at Honington in the 80's.

dctyke
20th Jan 2022, 07:01
I'm sure I watched a Jaguar do a wheels up landing at Honington in the 80's.

i witnessed a jag wheels up at Laarbruch late 70s, It was a twin seater. Also saw a victor burst into flames on the main runway at Marham, a Hurricane at Wittering and also one of our GR5 Harriers at Wittering (engine failure on take off) luckily everyone survived.

1.3VStall
20th Jan 2022, 11:05
I'm sure I watched a Jaguar do a wheels up landing at Honington in the 80's

A Coltishall Jaguar landed successfully at Honington in the mid 80s with the noseleg retracted.

Speedywheels
20th Jan 2022, 14:15
Just seen your 2010 post. The II AC Sqn crash you cited in 94 was Flt Lt A Byford and Fg Off TE Owen and Fg Off I Knott and Flt Lt (S/L?) S MacLeod no future CAS involved.

The ‘94 crash you have referenced involved Tornado aircraft, not Jaguar. I think you’ve confused two separate incidents (with over 10 years between them).

Old-Duffer
20th Jan 2022, 14:43
The wheels up at Laarbruch has an amusing footnote to it. The guy in the back was the squadron S Eng O. The sort of famous guy in front punched out leaving the back seater to make his own arrangements which he did. When he was dined out at the end of his tour, he was presented with a Flying Logbook. It had the details of the aircraft etc and in the columns dealing with day, night, duty etc it has written: "Captain and 1st pilot - 10 seconds".

Old Duffer

Gordon Brown
20th Jan 2022, 20:39

Fg Off TE Owen eventually being one of the ‘Three dads walking’ who made such a big impact highlighting teenage suicide last year.

…and the Goose Bay II(AC) Sqn midair discussed earlier did indeed involve an ex-CAS and Brian Robinson (who was an absolute legend imho. “They’re called drop tanks, not bring home tanks”)

Diff Tail Shim
19th Feb 2024, 23:31
i witnessed a jag wheels up at Laarbruch late 70s, It was a twin seater. Also saw a victor burst into flames on the main runway at Marham, a Hurricane at Wittering and also one of our GR5 Harriers at Wittering (engine failure on take off) luckily everyone survived.
Was outside 1 Sqn when the Hurricane cartwheeled in. "Emergency State 2, Hurricane, diverting from Coningsby, engine" Almost got it in bar that crosswind gust that caused him to lose controlled flight. The string vest brigade earned their pennies that day. Amazing the pilot survived with no more than a broken ankle and the Hurricane was restored years later to rejoin the BBMF. 33 years ago. Blimey!