PDA

View Full Version : Question: How low is this aircraft?

barnstormer1968
27th Aug 2009, 12:42
Hi everyone.
I have just nipped across from the military forum to ask a question.
While looking on Google earth today, I came across this aircraft at:
51* 21' 16.76" N 1* 20'29.66"W"
Any clues as to what it is (yes I know it's blurry, but it may be one of you), and what height it is flying?
Any help appreciated, as I'm just curious

liam548
27th Aug 2009, 13:51
this multi-coloured thing?

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2281/multicoloured.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/i/multicoloured.jpg/)

Munnyspinner
27th Aug 2009, 14:20
The multi colouredness is probably due chromatic aberration, a feature of the camera lens.

As a starter for 10 ( I have no idea) I would hazard a guess at around 1500' and that the a/c is Piper Arrow III or IV.

Despite the rather dramatic appearance of what initially appears to be an aerobatic dive towards the A34 the A/c does appear to be in normal flight, perhaps even climbing.

Saab Dastard
27th Aug 2009, 16:34
Liam, please can you re-size that to 800x 600?

Thanks

SD

Thomas Doubting
27th Aug 2009, 18:21
Good question.

I can't find the orbit details for the satellite that took the photo, but must be high enough so that measurments of that object don't vary much with those of objects at ground level.

The wingspan measures about 90ft.

Conclusion: a medium size UFO in Italian colours joining long final to 25 at Thruxton.

I hope it's come to take Gordo away. :)

Munnyspinner
27th Aug 2009, 18:37
I can't find the orbit details for the satellite that took the photo

Hmmmm..... I wonder if you are serious? This is an erial photograph taken from an aircraft. As I'm sure you know.

Contacttower
27th Aug 2009, 19:41
I'm not sure about the height, although I'd guess sort of typical light aircraft altitudes. It does bear some resemblance to the Firefly that lives at Thruxton and is often see in that area near the A34.

Con Air
27th Aug 2009, 20:34
Not really sure abut the a/c type, however, unless I'm mistaken, I'm sure the 1st car is an open top 3 series BMW.

Looks like my sister in the passenger seat. ;)

liam548
27th Aug 2009, 21:00
Looks like a multicoloured mark to me. How you can tell the aircraft type is beyond me..

;)

Whopity
28th Aug 2009, 06:55
Try looking at the image from an oblique angle, it is clearly an aeroplane with red markings on the control surfaces and trailing edges; that does not match the Thruxton T67 aircraft or the RAF Vigilant but it would appear to be a similar shape aircraft.

astir 8
28th Aug 2009, 08:31
Thermalling glider out of Lasham? Looks too wide a wingspan for power

airborne_artist
28th Aug 2009, 09:00
GE imagery is often stretched/pulled around so that it gives the appearance of a direct overhead shot, so the aircraft's shape/dimensions have suffered in this process.

Munnyspinner
28th Aug 2009, 11:20
Looks too wide a wingspan for power

Except if you look carefully you can see what looks like a propellor. I think Airbrone artist is probably correct and in adjusting the Aerial photos to fit the aircraft has probably been stretched , which has cuased the red/green shift.

My initial inclination was that this was a T67 firefly then I noticed what lookes like a split front screen. It could be anything but I am erring towards a Piper or , possibly a Mooney, based on its low wing and what looks like the shape of an air intake on the front of the cowling. However, I will accept it could be any aircraft with a low wing. I suspect it is actually mainly white.

If you zoom in on Google earth it doesn't appear to have a canopy but two front windows with a bar up the middle. If this was a T67 or glider it would surely have a more pronounced canopy bubble a or be in a tandem configuration.

Thoughts anyone?

Studefather
28th Aug 2009, 13:01
Viewed on Flash Earth, and admittedly at a different solar angle and therefore time, but I would venture to suggest it's a distortion of the large roadside sign at that location.

Saab Dastard
28th Aug 2009, 13:24
Negative to roadside sign - where is the shadow?

SD

rtl_flyer
28th Aug 2009, 15:31
If you are looking for low wing red/white this is based at Thruxton

http://www.go-7.co.uk/buildimages/painting/DSC_0020_448.jpg

:ok:

Studefather
29th Aug 2009, 07:47
SD
Negative on the shadow!
See length of shadows across the carriageway from high trees.

S

Crash one
29th Aug 2009, 09:31
I think you guys should get out more!

Studefather
29th Aug 2009, 19:18
Excellent advice, Crash One.
Got the browny points by gardening today and the Chippy is back online tomorrow!

(Apologies for blatant thread creep)

barnstormer1968
5th Sep 2009, 18:40
Why, was dealt with in my original post (you need to keep up dear boy).

And who cares? Were you inferring your opinion on the matter, or making a judgement on the other posters who have already replied before you?

I don't remember saying it was life or death, or that any one poster had to reply. Hopefully that goes some way to answer your questions (oh and thanks for caring enough to reply:}:confused:)

Crash one
5th Sep 2009, 19:59
Far more interesting watching water evaporate, especially since it has pissed with rain since Monday.
On a serious note, I believe someone blew their nose on the screen:ugh::ugh: