PDA

View Full Version : PPL IN Jerez

PPLPP
27th Aug 2009, 10:03
Well here goes, finished my PPL after a gruelling few weeks with a flight school in Spain, yes you guessed it,The training was hard and so were the written exams. Guys, if you are going to do you PPL, make sure you are prepared for the written exams before you arrive, a mixture of flying, studying and heat really does take its toll on you!

There was also some more added pressure that was really not needed, an extremely rude arrogant, pretentious flight instructor (deputy CFI).

Guys, am I wrong to say this but I have just paid serious money to be treated in such a manner that words cannot explain it! Well actually they can, this flight instructor is the type of person more suited to being a prison warden.

I have never been spoken to so rudely in all my life, does this guy think that because he is an instructor, it makes him a better person than anybody else.

I had to take the constant abuse every day because I got the feeling that if I did not conform, then my license was at risk.

This guy seriously thinks he has the power to control who can fly!

Come on Mr Deputy CFI, you are human, just like the rest of us…GET A LIFE !

Captain Stable
27th Aug 2009, 12:37
First, congratulations on getting through it all, and welcome to PPRuNe.

I have known several people who have worked at or studied at Jerez, including a (former?) Mod here. Some have had good experiences, some not so good.It also came to my attention, when doing the written exams, that he had the power to pass or fail you, depending on whether he liked you are not.No, he doesn't. You should get a debrief after taking an exam, and you can query ANYTHING. He cannot arbitrarily fail you. If you achieved the pass mark, you have passed. End of story.

If anyone had treated me the same way you describe him treating you, I would first have had a word with him quietly, then a similar word with him publicly, and then gone to his superior, and then left if nothing had changed at each step.

Whopity
28th Aug 2009, 07:15
It also came to my attention, ..... that he had the power to pass or fail you, depending on whether he liked you are not.
If anyone conducts a CAA Examination unfairly, the candidate has the right of appeal under CAA Regulation 6. If you had failed an exam, the examiner is required to give the candidate a Form 252 detailing the reason for failure and is required to explain the Appeal procedure on the reverse of the form. I take it that you did not fail any of the exams.

FREQUENTFLYER1234
28th Aug 2009, 12:55
I am that person that you are talking about but I am having a little trouble understanding who you may be? This is the first time that something of this nature has come to light and I would really like the opportunity to speak to you personally about this matter.

Out of the many students that I have had the pleasure of teaching here at ............., and all of them going home with a 1st time pass in the PPL (many in the minimum required hours) it seems a little unusual that these comments would be made.

On a much more serious note the false allegations regarding my practices as a ground examiner are completely untrue. The exams carry a 75% pass mark and are marked in accordance with the CAA guidelines. I find it difficult to understand your comments regarding the difficulty of the exams as they are the same at all registered facilities.

It would be more appropriate to discuss this matter directly so please contact me.

beatnik
28th Aug 2009, 13:03
PPLPP

If you have a problem with someone, perhaps its best to take it up with them personally instead of complaining on a public forum. There are always two sides to every story, and publishing your story on a public forum without giving the other party a chance to defend himself, simply dilutes any genuine claim that you may have against the deputy CFI.

Edited to say: ....Pipped to the post by the man himself.

vanHorck
29th Aug 2009, 08:25
At least till a while ago the school employs both British and German FI's, who have a different cultural attitude to dealing with people. My wife was struggling with the German military like snapping but enjoyed the British FI's. Unfortunately FI's were hired for short term and so you may end up with multiple trainers.

The school had (very) old Cessna and one PA28. In the case of my wife the age of the planes put her off (especially one) although there was no indication they were unsafe. It's all in the eye of the beholder. We pre booked and pre paid for the PA28 which however had not been reserved for us (!) so she had to learn on a Cessna, which she didn t want (I own a Piper).

Doing the PPL in one month is really only feasible if you ve learned all the theory on beforehand and if you have some talent. In the end she went solo but did not complete the PPL. She found the total an unpleasurable experience which put her off (self) flying

The school did not provide ground school but FI's were willing to give assistance whilst self studying.

The owner is opinionated about students performance although he is not a flight instructor. The ops managers were friendly and helpful but generally hour builders who did not have any clout within the organisation.

The CFI was a great guy, unfortunately not often there, but of an understanding nature, a kind listening ear.

The community feeling amongst the student was quite good and they spent many an evening together.