PDA

View Full Version : CTC wings cadets selection

lordlozz
26th Aug 2009, 08:49
Hia guys.
I am attending phases 2&3 of the selection process within the next month (Anyone else in the same situation is welcome to PM me). I have been looking for information on what to expect in order to prepare myself for the event. I have found this forum but alot of information vague and outdated. Apart from the usual routine of preparing yourself for an interview. What can I actually do to prepare?? Are all the maths questions long division and long multiplication? Are you permitted to use a calculator? How difficult are the questions, examples? Where can I find suitable material to practice? Can I get hold of programmes to practice the hand eye and multi tasking? What exactly is required here? What does the group work consist of? Are there any other tests that I am unaware of? What kind of questions would I expect to find in the interview? What is the best way to answer them bearing in mind I have very little powered flying experience. What sort of answers are they looking for on the pre prepared questions that I was sent?

99jolegg
26th Aug 2009, 09:12
Most of the questions you ask are covered in the main CTC Wings thread in this forum.

- Maths questions involve basic maths functions - you don't use a calculator and you get 15 minutes for 15 questions. Brush up on mental arithmetic etc. Currency conversions, percentages, squares / cubes etc.
- You can get sample testing software for the aptitude part...cockpitweb do some. Psychologists say that you're either predisposed to pass or you aren't and that practice will not increase your score...make of that what you will.
- Group work is two separate group exercises...not much point in giving you the exercise details, you don't need to plan for them, just enjoy and be proactive whilst doing them.
- Expect questions on the life / job of an airline pilot, issues surrounding commercial aviation, basic technical knowledge of aircraft, motivation, ambition, past experience, examples of the above, airline business and marketing - nothing that specific but make sure you're prepared. You may get asked some obscure questions. I found it was less about catching you out and more about giving an answer to a thought provoking question that you wouldn't have been able to prepare for.
- For the pre-prepared questions, be honest, take your time writing it and think about it - not much more to it than that

Good luck!

lordlozz
26th Aug 2009, 10:59
Hia 99joegg. Thanks for the reply. You sound like your familiar with the process? How so? Whats your story? Are there any books you could recommend for me to order, so as I can brush up on my general knowledge of aviation. Would I need to if most of the knowledge I have gained is from my addiction to aircrash investigation?

lesgonard
26th Aug 2009, 12:27
Just don't speak like you spell!!

Read every single page of the CTC Wings Part 1&2 forum and you should have everything you should know.

Any questions then Please PM me.

lordlozz
26th Aug 2009, 12:51
"Just dont speak how you spell!!"

Thats a given. :)

Chilli Corneto
26th Aug 2009, 23:51
Like others have said read the whole CTC selection threads. Don't be put off by the volume of information in it as you will have to trawl through as much, if not more information when you're doing the ATPL studies.

With regards to books there is a good preperation book I used. It's called 'Getaheadforthesky' It's a generic FTO / Airline selection book but has everything in there you should need. I also invested a speed mathematics book but only because it had a been a few years since I had done any mental arithmatic.

The chances are if you apply now you will probably end up on one of the CP's (if you pass selection) that would do all of their ATPL study in the UK before you come to NZ. At present the ATPL modules are taught at the same time as the 'learning to fly' bit so you're juggling between the two. Personally this is a nice balance and the thought of doing all 14 ATPL subjects, back home, in 6-10 months, before you even touch an aircraft would drive me to tears! But that's just me!

There will be a lot people that will advise you not to train now and everyone will have a very valid point. Whether for or against. You will simply have to decide yourself, based on the information you can gather whether now is really a good time or not.

Chilli.

pipkin
9th Jul 2010, 04:46
Hi There

I will shortly be attending CTC in Hamilton NZ to sit phase 2 which for me,Im sweating over the above tests:

Anyone take the tests recently and in NZ?