PDA

View Full Version : Russia signs $2.5 billion deal for 64 Sukhoi fighters

Lyneham Lad
25th Aug 2009, 21:05
From Flight International (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/08/20/331265/russia-signs-2.5-billion-deal-for-64-sukhoi-fighters.html)

An extract from the article:-
Russian government officials during the MAKS air show in Moscow signed a historic order for 64 Sukhoi fighters, raised the possibility of a $470 million cash injection for RSK MiG and sternly warned aerospace executives to not expect further financial bail-outs.

The Russian air force will take delivery of 48 Su-35Ss, 12 Su-27SMs and four Su-30M2s by 2015 under the $2.5 billion order jointly announced on 18 August by Sukhoi and the defence ministry.

The deal marks the most valuable contract ever signed by the air force. It also extends a major change in acquisition policy that started in 2008. Since the post-Cold War period, Russia had ordered no more than six fighters a year, but last year signed a multi-year $1.25 billion contract for 32 Su-34s.

Should we be worried? :eek:

Yeoman_dai
25th Aug 2009, 21:21
Russia’s SU-35: Mystery Fighter No More (http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Russias-SU-35-Mystery-Fighter-No-More-04969/)

I'd say yes, if we had to take them on that is.

Otherwise, i'd just say it's a fairly sensible idea from Russia to bolster jobs and industry in a recession - with our bunch would do the same, order more T45's, get a License for Blackhawks for Westlands to produce (or type of your choice)

But that would mean increasing the defense spend.... heaven forbid, I mean we're only at War FFS...

NutLoose
25th Aug 2009, 23:09
I'd say yes, if we had to take them on that is.

My Dear chap, we would never take on the might of Russia, after all where on earth would we house all the prisoners :p and let's face it, if the Warsaw Pact reformed we would have to send a lot of those we ARE presently housing back home to fight us.............:(

Mind you we could probably act as middlemen and build under contract about 14 Chinooks for that $2.5 billion, instead of the 64 fighters they probably do not need.. :mad: