PDA

View Full Version : Gear Down?

thebassplayer
25th Aug 2009, 20:36
Hey, I live in Beckenham, SE London, and I live right underneath the Heathrow Approach and usually all the a/c's that fly over don't have the gear down and flaps in low setting, but the other day I saw a Saudi Arabian 744 with gear down and (I think) full flaps roaring overhead...and i'm wondering; is there a certain time when you put the gear down? eg. when you see the field, 20 miles out or something? Or does pilot in command choose?

Cheers,:ok:

TBP

Rainboe
25th Aug 2009, 22:40
It's recommended at 2000' above airport level, with the latest by 1500' AAL. Unless there is an emergency drill being carried out requiring earlier lowering of gear, or the aircraft is high and requires extra drag to increase the rate of descent, it is normally unnecessary and inconsiderate to lower it much earlier and make a lot of extra noise (and waste fuel). Normal sort of area to lower is passing Barnes or approaching Richmond. If the flight was over Beckenham with the gear already down, it would not be right. However, sometimes, to fit in with ATC minimum speed requirements so as not to catch up with the preceding aeroplane, in order to get to minimum speed, the only way you can reduce below Flap 20 speed is to extend the gear first and then extend flap to landing selection and reduce to minimum speed.

But he could have been just plain incompetent. You can't tell! It could be any one of those things, and it's a mistake to jump to any conclusions like some people here do.