PDA

View Full Version : VirginNigeria goes to bed with Ethiopian Airlines

5N Pilot
24th Aug 2009, 17:07
While we await the new name, it has just been announced that virgin nigeria has now now signed a technical agreement with Ethiopian Airlines.
It states:The new Technical Service Agreement with Ethiopian Airline which effectively ends the erstwhile technical partnership with Virgin Atlantic, covers Audit oversight, Operational control, Ground Services, Cabin Crew training and processes and maintenance oversight.

I am trying to figure out why Ethiopian? Why can't VGN do it alone? What are the implications?

Arik
24th Aug 2009, 18:12
Could the agreement be due to Ethiopian's FAA status? It would create a lot of new routes for VN to & from the US with code shares etc surely? Or a trans-African airline from E to W with Ethiopian getting into the Naija-US market?

Just a guess, but could be a great new airline!

Arik

SalesConsult
25th Aug 2009, 10:50
Also worth seeing what ET could benefit

Foothold / groundservices in Nigeria? ADD-ABV & other Nigerian airports?

Am interested in what the new name will be

flareout BC
25th Aug 2009, 14:34
Arik, it couldnt make sense for VK to feed ET on US routes, for VK surely would harbour plans of serving the USonits own account, even if on the long term. Salesconsult, the victory for inter African co operation should be applauded, I think

AVSEC
25th Aug 2009, 23:37
Et Runs Its Ops With Small Amount O Personnel Prudently,and I Dont Know How They Will Cope With A Bloated Vk Work Force.
Hope It Works Out Though As It Would Force Vk To Run Efficiently,prudently,as A Commercial Venture That Must Make Profit

Klogic
27th Aug 2009, 22:11
Are you talking about NIGERIAN EAGLE? Heard the CEO announced the new name today.

SalesConsult
28th Aug 2009, 10:55
The name Nigerian Eagle will capture the nation's heart as that is the official symbol as well as the coat of arms of the country. The airline will do well not to tie its fortunes with the way the country is run though.

alpha-b
28th Aug 2009, 18:23
Hey Chappies

Is there any prospects for Flight deck positions with the new entity?

BALEWA
29th Aug 2009, 10:27
Nigerian Eagle....wait did you really say... Nigerian Eagle, what in Gods name, and someone says it will capture the nations heart :eek:.....

Oh well, I am not surprised at all, thats all he could come up with now eh, going to partner Ethiopian, and now Nigerian Eagle.

When will all these pilots running the show in our airlines finaly be booted out so that those with the knowhow can come in and do what needs to be done.The Ethiopians must be laughing at us....Nigerian Eagle ...how tacky.

I fear for Virgin Nigeria, they have to watch their management carefully.

B:=

josmison
29th Aug 2009, 11:51
one can wonder how this cooperation will impact on asky based nearby in togo and
in which ethiopian has a 20 % stake.

JABAG
29th Aug 2009, 21:36
What makes you think "D" had anything to do with the new name. From the G-vine, I understand the name came out of the "rock".

Shame though.:ugh:

AVSEC
30th Aug 2009, 04:33
Wonder If All Previous Directors Will Remain On The Board.
Will They Retain All Contracts For Ancillary Services?
This Will Be Very Interesting

skygod
1st Sep 2009, 19:56
WOW,
What a name, can u imagine flying on Nigeria Eagle. They could have used a name like NIGERIAN, just simple NIGERIAN. Can u imagine if Emirates was called Emirates Eagle, or British Eagle....It just doesnt sound right.
Sure the mgmt dont really giva a damn..:ugh:. Its gonna b the same, Robb the airline, and move on. Simple selfish thinking!!!!!!. I hope EFCC'S arrest of the Bank Managers, in Nigeria, can set an example for Airline Mgmt, Otherwise the cycle continues.......I pray Nigeria will One day Have a Good National Carrier.
Nigeria is such a rich country, the problem, is mis management, and corruption....:D. Nigeria Does'nt deserve this...:ok: Think about this Nigerian Managers....

Happy Landings from the Southern Middle East Desert

SKYGOD

surely not
2nd Sep 2009, 03:55
errrrrrr Skygod, u shud do some research!! British Eagle was an excellent airline in UK in the late 60's early 70's :ugh: They flew Britannia', B707's, Viscounts, BAC 1-11's as I recall.

In fact SN flew to Liverpool and back with them in 1967. BAC1-11 from LHR-LPL then a VC8 back to LHR cos the 1-11 had gone tech!

It is very sad to see the way the Virgin Nigeria project has turned out and many sides have contributed to their problems, but it will be remembered as the airline that set new standards in Nigerian aviation.

Best wishes to all who remain in the new version whatever the name that is finally agreed. I still have many friends who are involved with the company and I hope that they can make it successful.

NIJASEA
2nd Sep 2009, 05:57
At what point do we slap ourselves in the face to wake up. VK is going the way of the 'DODO', if the company does not streamline its departments. They have probably the largest HR dept for any airline in Nigeria and the OPs Control is over staffed and no Airline should be responsible for putting up local pilots in company accomodation while at home base. It is not a good sign to see pilots leave VK and move to Arik for less pay, I do agree for the company it saves paying crew off to leave but still if VK is not careful the Airline will have to start training again. I am not too clued on the whole idea of a technical partner and what they do, any help? Do ET have trained engineers on the 'E'jets or will VK pay to have them trained?
FLY SAFE
NS

SalesConsult
2nd Sep 2009, 10:55
methinks Nigerian Eagle is fine - am not vouching for successful use of the name or prudent management of their resources. The teaming up with ET will take them a distance - but can they see it?

flareout BC
3rd Sep 2009, 13:45
I mean, a route network stretching to three continents {soon}, well maintained, cutting edge a/c, agresive expansion across most markets, stability, (no, sustained growth), hundreds of skilled and well-trained hands, respect from the traveling and non-traveling public alike and a fair amount of corporate responsibility, to my humble mind, recommend Arik for the title. Note also, no one says the national carrier has to be in public hands do they?

NIJASEA
3rd Sep 2009, 14:27
Flareout, I agree with you but could you pls enlighten me which National carrier is privately owned?:confused:

Rani
3rd Sep 2009, 17:21
The era of "National Carriers" is long gone, gone with the wind, burried with BOAC, SABENA, etc. The term implies public ownership and that has proven inefficient and potentially corrupt (Nigeria Airwaste).

Welcome "Flag Carriers" - private, lean, and mean, ready to serve designated communities, be it a nation, region, or whatever.

LOS
3rd Sep 2009, 19:19
Rebranding process is extended till October due to all kind of issues. The new airline will accept two EMB170s in Nov/Dec.

18left
3rd Sep 2009, 21:03
A name is what you make of it like

Barack Obama
Nelson Mandela
Adolf Hitler
Idi-Amin
Mary Slessor
Omar Bongo
Cecilia Ibru
Dalai-lama
Babatunde Fashola
Robert Mugabe
Dapo Olumide

What do we associate these names with?

So your actions will determine how good or bad a name sounds

Flareout BC i actually thought your discription was of Ethiopian

NIJASEA
4th Sep 2009, 00:10
18left. respect your previous posts,,, but some of the names on that list of yours should not even be considered on the same page let alone the same list.:=.

NaijaNinja
4th Sep 2009, 21:33
Talk about bad eggs amongst good ones! Funny enough, too many bad eggs missing on that roster!

What an accolade there for Arik? Deserved?? I rest my case!

I agree, isn't ET more deserving of such accolade

18left
5th Sep 2009, 09:30
NIJASEA

No dis-respect intended!

My point is simply that a name can be moulded into what you want it to be by your actions,good or bad.

Dapo has a lot on his hands,time will tell if he can take NIGERIAN EAGLE,to the promised land,i have my doubts but lets wait and see!

Govt is obviously showing more interest in VK,they even insisted on this name,which am sure VK would not have liked,but is bent on good relationship with the government.Lets wait and see what the Ethiopians brings on board!

SalesConsult
5th Sep 2009, 13:52
18left

Previously SC says
The name Nigerian Eagle will capture the nation's heart as that is the official symbol as well as the coat of arms of the country. The airline will do well not to tie its fortunes with the way the country is run though.

methinks Nigerian Eagle is fine - am not vouching for successful use of the name or prudent management of their resources. The teaming up with ET will take them a distance - but can they see it?

Your last post therefore proves that there could be a bigger reason for the name - but name is not the issue here it is what you make of it. I wish VK the best.

InSoMnIaC
19th Sep 2009, 01:41
Nigerian Eagle Airlines 5N-VNF (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Nigerian-Eagle-Airlines/Boeing-737-33V/1580187/L/)

what do you guys think of the new Livery?

IMO looks very dull

menatti
19th Sep 2009, 04:56
I agree its very dull and quite uninspiring. Someone got paid a lot of money for nothing.