PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a book

raytofclimb
23rd Aug 2009, 08:14
Hope someone can help.

A couple of years ago I was asked to speak at a BofB dining in night. I found a great passage in a book regailing a big engagement during the BofB and learned it by heart to read on the night. It culminated in the pilot returning to his aircraft and the riggers had put string through all the shell holes in the cockpit from entry hole to exit hole. He could'nt climb back into the cockpit without disturbing at least one string although there was not a scratch on him.

I have dozens of books on the war and the BofB in particular but I cant find it and not sure I even have it. The anniversary is coming up next month and I've been asked for it.

Does anyone know the book, pilot or story? (It may have been from a compilation of stories sort of book)

Cheers, Ray.

SirToppamHat
23rd Aug 2009, 08:53
I thought it might have been 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' by Stephen Bungay (ISBN 1-85410-801-8). I've had a quick scan through and can't find the reference to the incident, but it's the best part of 500 pages - does the title ring any bells?

STH

A2QFI
23rd Aug 2009, 08:58
If it this book there are plenty of copies of it here Bungay-Most dangerous enemy AbeBooks (http://tinyurl.com/m93bzk)

green granite
23rd Aug 2009, 09:30
First Light Geoffrey Wellum?

SilsoeSid
23rd Aug 2009, 10:01
It culminated in the pilot returning to his aircraft and the riggers had put string through all the shell holes in the cockpit from entry hole to exit hole. He could'nt climb back into the cockpit without disturbing at least one string although there was not a scratch on him.

A very close shave, an amazing escape, but this is probably because when the shells were hitting the aircraft the pilot wasn't climbing in or out of the cockpit :rolleyes: