PDA

View Full Version : ANR, do they really protect?

papaschild
23rd Aug 2009, 04:42
Sorry guys, couldnt find this answer anywhere, and not sure which sec to put it it!

I am VERY hearing conscious and was wondering what your thoughts were on ANR headsets.
Looking at getting the Zulu!

Do they actually protect your hearing more than a passive headset? By that, i mean are the dB reduced further?

Thanks

pc

Bob the Doc
26th Aug 2009, 17:44
Haven't tried the aviation specific sets but if the dB level is not reduced I would want my money back!

Depends a lot on what you are flying as to how much of a difference you can expect. Varying ambient noise levels an so on.

One of the pilots here on the Air Ambulance swears by his earbud-type ones that he wears under his helmet. I have used shooting-type ANR defenders (Peltor Sport-tac) when flying in noisy military aircraft with good effect and many people use the Bose Quiet Comfort series for their iPods but this is for SLF and not for aircrew. The shooting ones are more designed for the high intensity pulses from shooting rather than the constant background noise of flying.

In summary, they should work and make a difference. How much of a difference depends on what you buy and how noisy your aircraft is to start with. Is there anywhere you can 'try before you buy'? Bear in mind that the dB scale is logarithmic based and so a single dB change is quite a large change in noise!

HTH

BTD

dwshimoda
26th Aug 2009, 18:16
Can't give you any science, but I use the Bose X and when you turn it on, you can hear it "suck" the noise out of your ears. Also, on the odd occassion I've forgotten it, or lent it to a colleague to try, I can't believe the noise level on the flight deck. Additionally, it makes listening to ATC at lower levels much, much easier.

I was dubious at first, but would absolutely not be without it any more.

Can't rate it highly enough, and if it borke tomorrow, I'd be out to be another one straight away.

DW.

Edited to add: apart from the fact they have a 5 year guarantee, so I guess I'd claim on that first!

trex450
26th Aug 2009, 18:25
I have used the Sennheiser 400 series for the last five years in a very noisy twin and it is excellent, reduces background noise, improves coversation over the intercomm and makes general r/t much easier. Even when worn for over five hours at a time it seriously reduces fatigue. I have compared it to a Bose and actually found it superior at a lower price. The Bose was fine but gave up at take off power.

Rainboe
26th Aug 2009, 19:17
The Zulu seems to be generally reckoned to be slightly better than the Bose. We have 2 Zulus in our Sportcruiser. The sound reduction is awesome. When you put them on, ambient sound is squashed. They are easy to hook up with Bluetooth. I find them slightly hot and sweaty, but they do exactly as it says on the tin. If you can afford it, Zulus, then Bose (from what the magazines say). The perceived noise level leaves you completely unfatigued. BUT, if you are price conscious and only do limited flying, these very expensive headsets are too much of a luxury. Don't become ANR fascinated- it is not the be all and end all of aviation. They are not worth missing out on a lot of flying for.

trex450
27th Aug 2009, 17:08
Rainboe - check out the thread on "Headset MP3 plug in (thing?)".
be careful with comments about bluetooth as you will have the law that is Capt Stables coming down on your head.