PDA

View Full Version : Training Bonds Legality

Rusty Trombone
22nd Aug 2009, 19:31
Type ratings are expensive, if an employer dismisses an employe can they legally enforce a training bond.
I understand its a different case if the training was of a loan type and signed by yourself.
A lot of previous threads etc, I am under the understanding that training bonds are illegal indenture under european directives. In addition bonding for recurrent training is illegal as its used to maintain currency etc.

Gentleman agreements in place and someone just using a company for a course then leaving is not the correct way. However a company going bust or an employee being dismissed and the auditors or company trying to recover costs is not particular gentleman like.

Any thoughts on this somewhat complex situation, I have a barrister on standby to fight my case.

south coast
22nd Aug 2009, 21:13
Which company is trying to recover money from you and for which type rating?

Miles Gustaph
22nd Aug 2009, 22:13
...best use the Barrister then. Bonding is a complicated situation, as you have identified yourself.

Bonding isn't "illegal" but it does depend on the circumstances when it can legitimately be enforced, and PPRuNe usually isn't the best place to get legal advice that you'd put your next pay on... talk to the barrister.

Albus_Dumbledore
26th Aug 2009, 09:14
For a training bond to have a "legality" in terms of repayment in the event of an employee leaving; the original loan must be taken out from a financial institution or bank in the employees name, with the company backing the application. The company are obviously paying back the loan payments until the employee leaves. When the employee leaves, the loan leaves with them, therefore meaning, regardless the individual is responsible from then. Any other contract generally struggles to stand up if things get serious i.e. Court. I believe Easyjet had a court case some years ago which set the standards.

Seek further professional advice ALWAYS!

Recurrent training cannot be bonded, as it is necessary to complete your job. Be very careful! :ok: