PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick this morning

Doobs
22nd Aug 2009, 16:43
Did anyone see the Air Malta have to 'go around' this morning after trying to land on the already occupied runway?
Anyone got any details as it looked quite close.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Aug 2009, 18:19
"trying to land on the already occupied runway"

OMG

Doobs
22nd Aug 2009, 20:49
What I meant was, the Malta Air was approaching and seemed to be getting alot closer to the ac waiting to take off.
To my untrained eye, it looked alot closer than it should have done !!!
I do apologise for posting amongst condescending professionals like yourselves. I was just asking if anyone knew the reason.
I await to pick you up on your spelling mistakes etc !!!!
Thanks for your help

Doobs

G SXTY
23rd Aug 2009, 06:54
When LGW is busy they manage a take off or landing every minute. There isn't a lot of slack in the system if someone is slow to depart or vacate, so go-arounds due to another aircraft on the runway are a regular feature.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Aug 2009, 06:59
<<What I meant was, the Malta Air was approaching and seemed to be getting alot closer to the ac waiting to take off.>>

Well, as they say, "it would, wouldn't it?"

Go-arounds are no big deal and when professional pilots and controllers see people getting concerned on here they find it somewhat irritating. It's an every day part of the job and there are many, many reasons for go-arounds. In the scenario you decrribed, possibly the aircraft (which I assume was lined up on the runway) could not depart - maybe a technical problem? Maybe a delay suddenly imposed by ATC? Maybe weather on the climb out? Maybe a runway inspection revealed debris on the runway? A fox crossing the runway? (I kid you not!).

So, what you saw was something which probably happened a thousand times around the world on that day - possibly even several times at Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton, Manchester on that day.

Everything would have been in the charge of highly trained, professional people both on the aircraft and on the ground. Do please keep that in mind if you see another go-around. Thanks...

Doobs
23rd Aug 2009, 20:41
Thanks for that answer. Please dont forget that everyone in here is not as knowledgeable as yourself.
Now I understand it wasnt a big deal.

Doobs

Northern Hero
24th Aug 2009, 15:18
BA 777 took full length and the Air Malta was a bit keen landing. The 777 was just rotating as the Air Malta pulled up and went around at about 300 feet. That was the second one of the day.

Doobs
26th Aug 2009, 22:28
Thanks for the straight forward answer to a relatively straight forward question.

Thanks again

Doobs

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Aug 2009, 07:16
With great respect, Northern hero is neither pilot nor controller and his comments raise more questions. What does he mean by "a bit keen landing"? I'd have thought most pilots on final approach would be keen to land! Second, if Air Malta went round at 300ft as the 777 was rotating that's getting on for 2 miles between them, which is an awful long way!

Nevertheless, there was nothing in the papers or the TV news so it couldn't have been too exciting - just a fairly regular occurrence at a busy airport, as already explained.

Rainboe
27th Aug 2009, 08:22
I've lost count of the times that very scenario has happened to me. You fly your approach. You are aware if the preceding is slow clearing. ATC are trying to bring everyone in as expeditiously as possible. Someone a bit slow to get off the runway or get their take-off roll started, and the one coming in has a problem. Sometimes there is time and you can land, sometimes you have to go around. Even from close to the flare. Not a problem! But you don't realise the impression idiots watching get from what is happening 'a bit keen landing!', 'trying to land on an occupied runway!'.

Sometimes I think a 10' vision-blocking fence should be around all runways to prevent fools going to the newspapers with all these non-dramas! Just remember all these idiotic sagas created by these people makes potentially nervous flyers worse. If they think it is gaily happening with 'close shaves' everyday at airports, they probably think they have a right to be nervous. There are no 'close shaves'- ATC usually warns the pilot that a situation may be developing. Any pilot is ready to go around instantly all the time anyway. A complete non-problem, but threads like this one make it sound like people are being driven around in Dodgem cars! Before coming out with this rubbish here, people should watch and learn if they are interested.

JEM60
27th Aug 2009, 10:27
Watching an arrivals day at Oshkosh would cure all these uninformed peopleof thinking pilots and ATC don't know what they are doing Sometimes three aircraft touching down on the same runway AT THE SAME TIME!!!! one behind the other. All safe as long as instructions are obeyed.!!!! 3,500 arrivals on the Wednesday.!!!