PDA

View Full Version : PPL training as a Teenager?

Cpt. Sunshine
22nd Aug 2009, 11:26
Hi all,

I am 13 and so far have one hour (not logged) in a Cessna 150. I have the desire to get to airline flying at some point but I am wondering if starting PPL training at 14 is a good idea. I am also wondering if starting flying early and having a PPL looks good with regard to ATPL sponsorship and/or getting recruited by an airline.

Furthermore, is training at my age advisable with regards to safety and getting 1st time passes in subjects?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone about their experiences or their opinions on my situation.

Any good/cheap flying school names in the Nottinghamshire/Lincolnshire/South Yorkshire area would also be appreciated.

Yours with dreams of flight,
Cpt. Sunshine

Sierra Hotel
22nd Aug 2009, 15:19
As you may be aware, the minimum age to fly solo is 16, so even though flight training may be logged from the age of 14 (unfortunately this means the hour you have at the moment won't count towards the license). Alot of the hours towards a PPL require you be able to fly solo, meaning if you do start training at 14 you will find yourself limited as to how much you can do. The license itself cannot be granted until you are 17.

I would suggest you wait until you are 15.5+ to start any proper training. Until then try and find a local airfield/flying/gliding club and see if they are happy for you to help out at as a volunteer. This way you will be around light aircraft pilots, instructors and students, which is a great way to soak up information about aviation, and it most certainly helped me. You may even be fortunate enough to go flying as a passenger with a club member if they have a spare seat.

1800ed
22nd Aug 2009, 16:18
Sierra Hotel (http://www.pprune.org/members/168000-sierra-hotel)'s advice is good. I was going to say you should try getting the ground school stuff out of the way; then I remembered that the exams are only valid for 12 months until you have to take them again. That's not to say you couldn't start reading through the books and getting to grips with some of the more tricky stuff.

It might even be advantageous to read through Book 1 so that you're ready for your first lessons. If you can go up for a ride in the right hand seat, take the opportunity. It certainly helped me out doing so before starting working towards my licence.

Rodent1982
22nd Aug 2009, 16:33
The exams are valid for 18 months.

Sierra Hotel
22nd Aug 2009, 16:47
Though if you can get all the exams done within 18 months of the first, you have two years from passing the last one to complete the license. Still, the exams can easily be done of the course of a summer holiday, so I wouldn't worry about them too much just yet.

Heliplane
22nd Aug 2009, 18:05
I started flying at 13 (in the US), soloed on my 16th birthday, got my PPL on my 17th, commercial license on my 18th, etc.... It was a passion of mine long before then and continues to be one today.

Although I used to work as a flight instructor, I took my elders' advice and became a lawyer, which I still am today (although the thought crosses my mind at least once a day as to whether I would have been happier going into the RAF and/or commercial flying) but I still avidly fly privately.

If aviation is a passion for you, I would definitely encourage you to pursue it from now. We all know it is expensive but there are many ways of feeding that passion in the early years such as through the RAF air cadets, working/volunteering at an airfield (doing anything you can) and reading every book you can get your hands on to do with the type of aviation you're interested in. MS Flight simulator has also come a long way since I was 13......

Having a passion at your age will give you something to be interested in and strive for. That alone should make you a more interesting and interested individual all round and stand you in good stead whatever you decide to do in later life (it may also help with school and university applications).

More importantly though, an extra-curricular activity such as flying absolutely has to come after your school performance (remember, the CAA can take your pilot's license away from you but nobody can take away your A's at GCSE and A level or a good university degree). Make sure you get the best results as possible at school as this will seriously increase your options later in life.

Good luck!!

Sierra Hotel
22nd Aug 2009, 18:39
Agree with Heliplane about what he has said about school and flying, as much as you love it, your A levels will interfere, but by doing them well first time it will make life much easier. I didn't do any flying during term time of my last year at school, and I believe it has made a difference. Its better to pay for a check ride after being away from it for several months than to pay in then long term for poor results.

Also as you get nearer the 17 age mark start finding out about scholarships and how they may be able to help you get your license. In particular I can recommend the Air League, who have made alot of difference to myself, and many others I know. (Also worth looking at for other qualified pilots - they provide bursaries for IMC ratings/Night Ratings and Aerobatics for pilots well into their forries. PM me for more information)

Tuckerr
22nd Aug 2009, 21:47
I started my training at 14 (now 15, 16 next month) and have found it fantastic. I plan to do some of the various exams before my solo later this year which I have been recommended to do by various members of my flying school. Starting early has not effected me at all. I try to fly every couple of weeks and will continue to do so upto my solo where I then hope to have the lessons more regularly. In terms of it getting in the way of school exams and other studying, yes, it can add a pressure on you, but as long as you plan things out i.e not doing flying exams/excessive studying whilst major school examinations are happening it should not be a problem. I'm using this approach and SO FAR, have not had any problems regarding pressure, but I bet my answer to that would have change this time next year.

It is obviously up to you, but I would reccomend starting when your 14, as long as you think you will be able to concentrate on other activities. Good luck :)

The Heff
23rd Aug 2009, 13:02
I'd recommend waiting until you're seventeen, at the earliest.

Start saving up now and putting money into an ISA, so by the time you reach seventeen you've got the funds or at least most of them to pay for it. Its worth applying for the GAPAN and the Air League scholarships, but remember competition is very fierce and hence there is an enormous possibility that you won't be awarded with one.

Another idea is to join the Air Training Corps. There'll be opportunities for free flying, and also the ATC offer a gliding scholarship which is a bit more attainable! It can't hurt to start reading up on the ground-school subjects though, although I'd leave the exams until you commence flying training for your licence.

tomtom_91
23rd Aug 2009, 13:37
I was in the same possition as you when I was 13, I decided that I would save untill I was 18 to see where that got me. I was 18 in May and decided that I would take a year out so I will be off to uni in sept 2010 however untill then I am doing my PPL. I have been given a job at my old school which will mean i can get more money for flying and uni and still have time to read the books and fly etc!

Hope this helps!

Tom

newtownards
23rd Aug 2009, 15:54
Hi,
I started flying when i was 14 through the Air Cadets, and had one of the best experiences of my life so far. Whilst the flying you do with them doesnt really count towards anything in the world of commercial aviation, the experience is great, and did i mention free :)

In the 4 years i was a cadet i got a gliding scholarship- 8 hours in a motorglider, microlight scholarship- 10 hours, including solo, and several trips to RAF bases for aerobatic lessons, and helicopter rides, oh and a Boeing AWACS sim ride :D

If anything it means when you decide to invest in PPL lessons you will already know the basics, and will erm..fly through the lessons

Hope this helps

RatherBeFlying
23rd Aug 2009, 16:41
You can solo gliders at 14 in Canada as our club has. And you can get your glider license at 16. There's lots of clubs in Canada as well as the Air Cadets. Our club runs during the week on good days and you can mow the runways on the poor days;) Instruction is mostly weekends and two evenings midweek.

Once you meet license standards, even if you're below 16, you could move on to your Bronze Badge for cross-country qualification and then go for your Silver.

Check Soaring Association of Canada - Home (http://www.sac.ca) for glider clubs and pm me for details on our club.

I would suggest you first get some instructional flights near home to the point where your instructors think your coming to Canada for the Summer would be a good plan.

lukem08
23rd Aug 2009, 17:41
I was also about 13/14 years old when i first got the bug for flying. After looking at all of the information provided by the very helpful flying schools in my local area (Manchester) i realised that pursuing my dream of becoming a pilot at such an early age was, not pointless, but not economically viable.

You'll be looking at completing solo flights within your first 10 hours of flight training which (dependant upon how often you plan to fly) will most probably be completed within 6-12 months. You will however be restricted by your age and will have to wait until you become 16 to progress any further through the PPL course. If you spread your lessons out too much, say one every 2-3 months, you will no doubt forget things and you will simply need more lessons than you would if you flew more regularly.

Due to this, I myself decided not to start the actuall PPL syllabus with a defined flying school, but instead began searching for flying lessons that people were selling on Ebay (which are much cheaper than lessons at flying schools). I travelled to many different airports over the north-west including Barton, Blackpool, Sheffield City, Netherthorpe and Leeds-Bradford. As I was 14 I was able to log my hours as well as gaining precious experience at flying light aircraft at much cheaper rates. (I also managed to get a feel of many different types of aircraft too).

When i turned 15 years old i began studying for all of the groundschool subjects. I passed all of the exams within that year (year 10 at school - before the rigorous revising for my GCSEs came along in year 11).

A couple of months before I became 16 I joined a flying school at Barton aerodrome (not because it was particularly better than ay of the rest, just because it was the closest) and started to complete the actual PPL syllabus. On my 16th birthday I was ready to go solo with only 3-4 hours experience with my new flying school (due to my previous experience), only to be let down by the great British weather. After what seemed to be a lifetime of waiting, I eventually got my first solo out of the way and continued through the course.

I managed to complete my Qualifying Cross-Country (QXC) at the end of July (this year) and actually took and passed my skills test just last Wednesday (19th August). I am now just waiting until my birthday in September as I cannot actually get my licence issued until my 17th birthday.

Overall, the way I went about my PPL worked out really well for me. Whatever route you decide to go down to get your licence, you will no doubt become frustrated with the ever-dependent British weather.....aherrmmmm! But will in the end think that all of the effort was, in no question, worth it!

Good luck with your future flying career. I am personally looking into the RAF after I go through college as the Airline world seems like an impossibility to get into at the moment! With any luck by the time you are ready to move into the commercial world, this depression will have died away and airline recruitment will become much simplar.

I am hoping that my PPL will aid me in my application to join the RAF (it can't make it any worse can it?). I am hoping that they will see i have the aptitude for flying. Oh well, we'll see.

Good Luck to all you aspiring pilots.

Lukem08

pilotbob2120
23rd Aug 2009, 18:46
Hi,
I was 14 when i started flying and it was amazing i flew solo on my 16th birthday and got my licence just after my 17th birthday as the weather stoped me flying for a while. I have just finished school now passing my A levels i would say that you want to make sure that complete your ground exams before you start your GCSE's as this along side your flying exams would be alot of work. As for not flying during your A level years of school isn't really a problem (well it wasn't for me) as long as you keep your school work priority it won't be a problem.

Good luck with your flying it will be a fantastic experience !!!:ok:

CraigJL
23rd Aug 2009, 19:43
I'm in the same position - I love it, and I think that I will be well placed when I'm finished.:}

Can't really add more to what's been said, other than I'm in the same boat. I'm looking forward to all the milestones.

Started at 14, 15.5 now, solo 16 e.t.c

I do one a month, and have skipped the solo (obviously), and moved on to navigation.

I think it was a wise thing to do - keeps me occupied, whilst spreading out cost (I admit, not incurred on me!) and yet still getting the same end product.

Regarding exams, I've found no trouble fitting in revision for school, and for flying. Exam validity works in my favour.

Lew747
23rd Aug 2009, 19:59
Nice to see so many young aviators here!! :ok:

I had my first trial lesson when I was 9 and had 1 a month up until 15. Flew solo on my 16th Birthday then my grandad falling ill, 6th form, A-Levels and a car made me pretty much stop flying altogether. I took it back up earlier this year and passed my Skills test a couple of weeks ago whilst still 18 so i'm chuffed. It was a personal goal of mine to do it whilst still 18 :)

I think it all falls down to personal circumstances, money...and weather. The exams I found straightforward (except for navigation which i thought was a b*tch!!) and took an evening class every week at London Met Uni which i thoroughly enjoyed and enabled me to get the exams out the way with relative ease. Good luck! :)

astir 8
24th Aug 2009, 07:51
A lot of UK gliding clubs now have sponsorship schemes for under-18's = free training. Check with your local club. It's been said that all glider pilots go on to make good power pilots (before someone jumps in, it may be an exaggeration, there's always an exception somewhere!)

And good on yer for having some ambition at 13!

Just as a passing comment, there's one of the guys from our gliding club going through his CPL training. They've been doing their ground school for 6 months and are only now going to the USA to learn to fly! Apparently most of the people on his course have never flown yet. I find that positively scary, so do me a favour, follow your plans and learn to fly something first! :D

p.s. the younger you start, the quicker you learn

Put1992
24th Aug 2009, 10:57
I've done the whole 'start at 14, solo at 16, PPL at 17' thing. Had a lesson a month up to solo, then a bit more frequently, then some intensive time during my holidays. Passed in minimum hours.

Survived GCSE's pretty well, but it intefered with my A-levels a bit. (AS should I say, Still got another year left!)

It's a much larger commitment than you think. The first 10 hours wont intefere with anything, but then Solo to Skills Test, and all the ground examinations will.

I've no regrets! Just remember to find the time to have some fun as well, but don't let that take over either! Get the balance right!

Oh, And you'll soon find you don't have as much time/money to fly as you would like, but it's great when you do!!

Keep me updated, would like to hear how you're getting on

Put. :cool:

Grobling About
24th Aug 2009, 11:55
Cpt Sunshine

Good luck to you. I’d just like to pick up on some of the flavour that one or two people have touched upon. I am a Civilian Gliding Instructor at an ATC Gliding School (or Volunteer Gliding Squadron). We operate the Grob Vigilant motor glider(actually classed as a Touring Motor Glider (TMG)) (about half of the VGSs use these whilst the other half use the more conventional Viking). The Vigilant is flown as a light aircraft, whilst we can and do practice shut downs in flight and engine off landings, the training that we do is very similar to that which I received for my PPL (without the cross-country element). Cadets fly with us from 15 and can carry out a Gliding Scholarship from 16 years old. Many of those cadets stay on to become Staff Cadets and subsequently instructors. For example on my squadron we have a 19-year old instructor. Contrary to one person’s earlier comments, hours training and instructing on the Vigilant can count towards a PPL. More importantly the flying experience, commitment that you would have shown and other opportunities that the Air Cadet Organisation has to offer can only be helpful for future employers within the aviation world. There is also no commitment to join the military. As one of my colleagues who is a professional pilot told me recently – ‘I wish somebody had told me about this when I was a teenager!’ Why not give it a try?

airborne_artist
24th Aug 2009, 11:59
I'm with Grobling on this one - the costs etc. rule out most teenagers getting a PPL, but there are other ways to get flying, such as the Air Cadets and traditional gliding clubs. The free/cheaper flying, and the skills you pick up will make you a faster, more effective student when you start your PPL later on.

Cpt. Sunshine
24th Aug 2009, 14:03
Thank you ever so much for all the responses you have put on this thread. What people have said has been really supportive and it's good to know that I am not the only one in this situation.

Once again thanks.

:ok:

JW411
24th Aug 2009, 16:24
Now I am an old phart who went solo 52 years ago with the ATC in a glider at the age of 16 and then a Flying Scholarship (PPL) on Tiger Moths at 17 (which was the minimum age in those days). I went on to have a professional career in flying for 46 years and I am still using my PPL.

Not one of the preceeding posters on this thread has made any mention of the most important factor above anything in your future planning - your health.

There is absolutely no point in making huge plans for your flying future if you are not going to make the medical standards required.

I put my eldest son through a complete Class One medical when he was 14. I did that because I did not want him to get the professional flying bug when he was 18 or so and then discover that he could not meet the medical standards required. That would have pricked his bubble really badly. It turned out that he had a weak left eye and the highest expert in the land told us that he could realistically aim for a PPL only.

My next son was absolutely fine and went solo at 16, PPL at 17 and almost had his 737 rating before his 20th birthday.

So, get your ar*e down to a proper AME and have a very thorough Class One medical before you get your hopes up too high. It will be money well spent.

Once you have a Class One, the rest of the world is your oyster.

I have had a long and wonderful flying career and I wish you the same.

Good Luck,

JW411

RatherBeFlying
25th Aug 2009, 00:35
It turned out that he had a weak left eye and the highest expert in the land told us that he could realistically aim for a PPL only.If you do turn up some medical problem, run it through the Medical forum. In Canada I know of one person who earned his Commercial License even though he lost an eye in childhood.

phzabriskie
25th Aug 2009, 16:19
You have outstanding advise here, medical, school, planning, Canada spoke up that training is cost effective(cheaper). No one from the USA yet so just to say if you get into gliders and get sometime logged I know that at least one Professional pilot from the UK at Oshkosh this year told the EAA members that she came here to get her private and commercial for the cost savings. There are a large number of pilot instructional colleges and there are scholarships, EAA (experimental aircraft association) has tuition and youth flying camps. Like the exchange students we housed in school in yesteryear I will bet there are opportunities to come fly the USA. Blue skies. Pete Z
P.S. EAA is International, there is no chapter in the UK, I can't believe it, but you could start one. As a EAA Chapter a member pilot who gives a Young Eagle,(youth 8-17) a ride in the members plane, the new Young Eagle gets both her/his name in the worlds' largest log book, and access to Sporty's Flight Instruction School's online PPL training course....a really good deal, I paid for mine. Check out; Neal Spooner, Colchester, Essex, UK He flies aerobatics behind a VW, he is part of our builders web group. Cheers again. Pete